ted lilly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ted lilly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ted lilly

Postby heinze » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:26 pm

what do you guys think of lilly. i know he's the fourth man in the A's rotation, do u think he's worth taking over kris benson

thanks
heinze

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby The Jury » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:43 pm

I wouldn't take him over Kris Benson. Benson's the first option on his team. Usually take all the aces before the depth guys.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nappy Dugout » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:50 am

Blue Jay boy has a point, but I think Benson is getting overrated on this board. I think Lilly is a good sleeper, and could be quite good. Tough call, I would probably take Lilly just because I like to see these Tommy John guys have a healthy year before counting on him.

Lilly is also an injury risk, but I still think he is better off than Benson...
You don't need a quadraphonic Blaupunkt, what you need is a curveball!....
Nappy Dugout
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:40 am

:-B I just picked up lilly myself. he was on the waiver heep. He can only learn from the three studs in front of him. He has sleeper written all over him.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Postby MikeeDee » Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:52 am

True Lilly is a very nice sleeper, but Benson has always been a potential ace and is two years away from TJ-surgery. I favor Benson over Lilly, albeit by a little.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby timkell » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:09 pm

I would take Lilly over Benson because Tommy John guys need to prove they're back before I waste a pick on them. Plus, he's on the pirates! Does Benson even have a chance to win 15 games?

Lilly has great potential.

That said, I wouldn't bet my team on either of these guys. Neither should be considered more than a 5th starter in a ten team MLB universe, I'd say.

Both are the type that should be kept on the bench until they show they can produce. That's what I would do. Sit 'em on the bench. Take your pick on who you think has the most potential, but I would say Lilly this year.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:44 pm

The Jury wrote:I wouldn't take him over Kris Benson. Benson's the first option on his team. Usually take all the aces before the depth guys.

Benson might be Pittsburgh's ace, but he'd still be in the fourth spot in the A's rotation. Lilly should be getting as many starts as Benson does, and the A's are a much better team than the Pirates so I don't think whether or not Benson is the ace of his squad is even a factor here.

That said, I think it's a bit of a toss up between Lilly and Benson. I suspect they'll both put up pretty similar numbers this year.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby rotisseriking » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:17 pm

MikeeDee wrote: but Benson has always been a potential ace

I think that's the problem - POTENTIAL that he's never quite lived up to. There's a reason the A's, with arguably the bets rotation in basbeall, were foaming at the mouth when the Yanks dumper Lilly. I think a change of scenery will do him good. He was incredibly hyped when he came up so maybe they can bring him back. I'll take a chance on him this season, probably can grab him for a buck at the end of the draft.
rotisseriking
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:02 pm

rotisseriking wrote:
MikeeDee wrote: but Benson has always been a potential ace

I think that's the problem - POTENTIAL that he's never quite lived up to. There's a reason the A's, with arguably the bets rotation in basbeall, were foaming at the mouth when the Yanks dumper Lilly. I think a change of scenery will do him good. He was incredibly hyped when he came up so maybe they can bring him back. I'll take a chance on him this season, probably can grab him for a buck at the end of the draft.

NY didnt really dump Lilly, they replaced him with a better sp in Weaver. The winner of that 3 way deal will be Detroit easily. Carlos Pena will be a solid 1b. Franklyn German is a Benitez clone. And watch this guy, sp Jeremy Bonderman. Remember Bensons been hurt so muich, he only has 500 career innings.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Baseball Leftovers