Trading away Kershaw? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading away Kershaw?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading away Kershaw?

Postby mueller11fan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Long Message, please bear with:

Recently I've been getting a lot of offers for Kershaw. (not surprised, best pitcher in the game, best asset to have) Our trade deadline is August 31st, and clearly teams are ramping up their teams for a strong playoff push. I'm willing to trade Kershaw if I see the right deal, but right now I haven't seen it.

Current Offers:
Adam Jones + Alex Wood (Awful, Wood is not that great. At all)
Rizzo + Betances (Better, not great. I want a starting pitcher in return)
Puig + Betances (Same issue as above)

My thought is to let these two owners know (Trade 2 + 3 are from same guy if you couldn't tell) that at minimum I want a good bat(starter, not someone who could be replaced on FA list) + a top 15 pitcher for Kershaw. If I'm not seeing this, I'm not doing it. I haven't offered Kershaw to anyone yet, they are just coming to me. Pitching is tough in this league because the value is pretty high, so a lot of guys who offer for him (that I haven't mentioned above) are trying to get Shaw w/o giving up a top Pitcher. For example I told owner of first trade I want two starting players for him, and he responds with "Jones for Kershaw is fair if you ask me" I simply didn't respond because I'm not sure what planet he is from thinking that is fair... I almost want to trade with owner 2 just in spite of that. My team, and League stats are below, along with some guys from Owner A (Jones + Wood) and Owner 2 (other guy)

Non Keeper, $ league, top-6 go to playoffs, 3rd gets $ back. I'm in 7th of 12 right now (top 8 all are really competitive, and have a shot) I also am on the verge of sweeping first-third if I win this week. So anyone's game (I think they are already counting me out, trying to "buy low" on Kershaw)

Runs (R) 1
Home Runs (HR) 1
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1
Stolen Bases (SB) 1
Walks (BB) 1
Strikeouts (K) -1
Total Bases (TB) 1

Innings Pitched (IP) 3
Wins (W) 5
Losses (L) -5
Saves (SV) 5
Hits (H) -1
Earned Runs (ER) -2
Walks (BB) -1
Strikeouts (K) 1
Quality Starts (QS) 1

As you see, Pitching def holds weight for top-tier guy. (Kershaw is averaging 30+pts an outing) However, I did just beat Owner A (currently in third) solely because of my bats. (outscored his by about 100pts) Pitching #s were very similar.

My team:

Yan Gomes Cle - C
Casey McGehee Mia - 1B,3B
Josh Harrison Pit - 2B,3B,OF
Aramis Ramírez Mil - 3B
Alexei Ramírez CWS - SS
Mark Teixeira NYY - 1B
Javier Báez ChC - SS
Yoenis Céspedes Bos - OF
Jacoby Ellsbury NYY - OF
Chris Carter Hou - 1B,OF
Denard Span Was - OF
Conor Gillaspie CWS - 1B,3B
George Springer Hou - OF DL
Joey Votto Cin - 1B DL

Craig Kimbrel Atl - P
Koji Uehara Bos - P
Jake McGee TB - P
Clayton Kershaw LAD - P
Matt Shoemaker LAA - P
Francisco Liriano Pit - P
Alfredo Simón Cin - P
Wade Miley Ari - P
Brandon McCarthy NYY - P
Vance Worley Pit - P
Henderson Álvarez Mia - P DL
Gerrit Cole Pit - P DL

Team A:
King Felix, MadBum, S. Gray, C. Kluber, Donaldson, Jones, Holliday (also just lost Goldy, and I offered him two guys I think it was Carter and one of my best SPs not named Kershaw, for MadBum, and he said "I'm not trading you my aces, but I still want Kershaw" (Sorry buddy, you want Kershaw, you will be parting with at minimum one of you SPs)

Team B:
Rizzo Puig, Price, Samardzija, Roark, Santana.

I know I don't have to trade Kershaw, but I do atleast want to see what the possibilities would be if I did. I appreciate your feedback, thanks for reading all the way.
mueller11fan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading away Kershaw?

Postby rails80 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:10 pm

My advice? Keep Kershaw. No one is giving you fair value for him.

I'd rather see you try to add a couple of starting pitchers yourself behind Kershaw. Your rotation could use a little tweaking.
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 244)

Postby mueller11fan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:56 pm

rails80 wrote:My advice? Keep Kershaw. No one is giving you fair value for him.

I'd rather see you try to add a couple of starting pitchers yourself behind Kershaw. Your rotation could use a little tweaking.

I completely agree with you. Past Kershaw, I don't have much in the P department besides streamers. Just trying to see what I could get in return for him. Any thoughts on who I should target? Who I could realistically give up?

Not a great acquisition, but I just traded Gillaspie for Hahn. (just in time for Springer to return, but he decides to re-injure himself, joy)
mueller11fan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rails80 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:05 pm

The Hahn move was fine. I just don't think you move Kershaw without getting a top-10 bat and top-10 pitcher in return. The way your league is set up, Kershaw is an absolute beast. #1 overall, I'd imagine.

What FA pitchers are available? You said you are streaming, but that is a very dangerous strategy, IMO. Ok to stream one, maybe two, spots but you need some consistency overall.
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 244)

Postby mueller11fan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:35 pm

rails80 wrote:The Hahn move was fine. I just don't think you move Kershaw without getting a top-10 bat and top-10 pitcher in return. The way your league is set up, Kershaw is an absolute beast. #1 overall, I'd imagine.

What FA pitchers are available? You said you are streaming, but that is a very dangerous strategy, IMO. Ok to stream one, maybe two, spots but you need some consistency overall.

Pretty much #1 overall. He has 452 points ytd, and Price (459) Cueto (509), Felix (545) have more. But lets not forget, Kershaw missed the first month and a half to the DL. So basically yes.

Top FA guys: Hendricks, Brad Hand, Hector Santiago, Kyle Gibson, Mchugh, Locke. Decent options, but nothing great.

My bad, I used "stream" a little loosely. Most of my SPs (everyone but Kershaw, McCarthy, Liriano, and Alvarez) are hit or miss. And McCarthy/Liriano have only been good recently (both for different reasons) I was more a less referring to the fact that I don't have that consistency with those arms that I would like too. Especially for a strong playoff run. BTW, guy with Greinke/Bailey has mentioned that he may be willing to work something out... He wants Pitching in return, but is also weak at 1B and Middle Infield. Trade someone like Teixiera + Shoemaker/Worley/Miley?
mueller11fan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Seanyfever » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:55 am

Go ahead and advertise you've been getting inquiries or offers. See what comes about.

You're not at the point of trading Kershaw. Not close.

Help me land Tulo!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=471393
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 290)

Postby Cali Redneck » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:36 am

All three offers are pretty insulting imo. I'm not sure how you managed to stop laughing long enough to write your post lol. If Team A were being more reasonable, a Kershaw for Jones and Gray trade might be tempting but otherwise you're better off hanging on to him if those are the best deals you can get.
Cali Redneck
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 88)

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:58 am

I like Alex Wood but not giving up Kershaw for. Adam Jones is a stud man.
Maybe from that one team you could land Goldschmidt, Sonny Gray, and Adam Jones for your Kershaw and Votto. I think this is good value for you. You'd get a 1b upgrade, SP replacement and stud OF. You'd expect good talent and at least I think offering Votto with Kershaw is about the only way you are going to squeeze max value out of him. I think you should do that? WHY? Votto is more name than bang and you should sell.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1948)

Postby mueller11fan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:14 pm

MadDog36 wrote:I like Alex Wood but not giving up Kershaw for. Adam Jones is a stud man.
Maybe from that one team you could land Goldschmidt, Sonny Gray, and Adam Jones for your Kershaw and Votto. I think this is good value for you. You'd get a 1b upgrade, SP replacement and stud OF. You'd expect good talent and at least I think offering Votto with Kershaw is about the only way you are going to squeeze max value out of him. I think you should do that? WHY? Votto is more name than bang and you should sell.

Thanks for the replies! My best offers were either Puig + Roark, or Werth + MadBum. Both owners said that was the max they would go, but the trade stood if I change my mind. Also, Goldy is done for the year... this owner already dropped him, this wont help me at all... lol but if they were healthy, that could be a thought.
mueller11fan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:03 pm

There is no way I would trade Kershaw short of someone offering me Trout and a stud SP like Darvish or Wainwright. Kershaw is so valuable it simply is not worth it.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 820)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions