Trading for Strasburg in keeper [WHIR] - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading for Strasburg in keeper [WHIR]

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading for Strasburg in keeper [WHIR]

Postby S27 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:21 pm

5x5 Keeper League (Roto) -- Keep 6
Starts: C, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, 5 OF, Util

I get: Strasburg
He gets: Ian Desmond & Chris Archer.

>> I'm out of contention this season and looking to improve my roster long-term. Losing Fernandez crippled my pitching this season and left a glaring question mark at SP for my roster next season. Desmond has been a keeper for me and I was planning on keeping him this offseason too but Strasburg is exactly the type of player I should be trying to acquire. Is this a no-brainer for me to pull the trigger here? (Feel free to leave a link, I will respond.)

My roster:
C: Miguel Montero
C: Mesoraco
1B: Casey McGehee [1B/3B]
2B: Dee Gordon [2B/SS]
3B: Todd Frazier [1B/3B]
SS: Ian Desmond
CI: Arenado [3B]
MI: Infante [2B]
OF: Trout
OF: Nelson Cruz
OF: Seth Smith
OF: Starling Marte
OF: Corey Dickerson
UT: Juan Francisco [1B/3B]

Bench: Crisp [OF], Cabrera [SS], Betts [SS/OF], Morales [1B]

SP: Archer, Kazmir, Shields, Ventura, Beckett, Shelby Miller, McCarthy <Jose Fernandez on DL>
RP: Allen, Melancon, Casilla
Last edited by S27 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
S27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trading for Strasburg in keeper [WHIR]

Postby mx826 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 pm

I personally don't like Strasburg and think he is often overrated, especially in keeper leagues. I think this is giving up too much to get him. Also, you said you were planning on keeping Desmond and I assume you were planning on keeping the up and coming Archer (who I do like a lot). I think that in your situation, I would resist giving up players I was planning on keeping just to get a different player to keep. Trout's the only player on your team I view as a definite keeper. After him, I assume you would keep Fernandez. After him however, there's people to play with. The other players that are interesting are Mesoraco, Gordon, Frazier, Desmond, Arenado, Cruz, Marte, Betts, Archer, Shields, and Ventura. However, that is way too many as you only have 6 spots. I, personally, would keep Trout, Fernandez, Mesoraco, Gordon, Desmond, and then Archer or Ventura. Basically, I'm saying that I'm not sure if these are the best players to give up nor is Strasburg the best to target. I suggest trading the breakouts of Frazier and Cruz to a contending team and getting a more reliable future ace.

Hope I helped :-)

Help me when you have the chance:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=471360
mx826
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dcmove2003 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:15 pm

I was going to suggest something similar to prior poster. Find a contender who needs certain stats, and use your low/non-keeper assets to get a decent keeper. Cruz is top of mind, although few are believing in him (but worth a try). Perhaps packaging Cruz, Mesoraco, and Kazmir can net you a solid top 3 round keeper. I don't know how many teams are in your league, but if it's 10-12, your roster is fairly weak for keeper. Hence my strategy would be to trade to get multiple keepers. I'd even consider trading Trout to get to top 10 keepers perhaps. You can't win with 1 guy.

Help me? viewtopic.php?t=471316
dcmove2003
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 68)

Postby S27 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:49 pm

dcmove2003 wrote:I was going to suggest something similar to prior poster. Find a contender who needs certain stats, and use your low/non-keeper assets to get a decent keeper. Cruz is top of mind, although few are believing in him (but worth a try). Perhaps packaging Cruz, Mesoraco, and Kazmir can net you a solid top 3 round keeper. I don't know how many teams are in your league, but if it's 10-12, your roster is fairly weak for keeper. Hence my strategy would be to trade to get multiple keepers. I'd even consider trading Trout to get to top 10 keepers perhaps. You can't win with 1 guy.

Help me? viewtopic.php?t=471316

It's a 14 team league.

Moving Trout is not an option. I would take quality over quantity 10 times out of 10 in a format where the number of keepers is limited, especially when the quality we're talking about here is only 22 years old and already is the consensus most valuable commodity at age 22. If this were a dynasty league, that's another story.
S27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby zeus4035 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:09 pm

I think Desmond is a good top 50 player and Strasburg is a top 30 player value-wise. The thing that would make me want to keep Desmond would be the fact that the quality at the SS position drops off so much when you start looking at the next best SSs. After Tulo, Hanley, Desmond, Gordon it starts to get pretty unappealing so it makes Desmond harder to replace, but that may not be quite enough of a reason for me to want him over Stras.

While I tend to lean towards keeping bats over pitchers in keeper leagues, I do think Strasburg is better in a vacuum. He would be your best keeper pitcher (and Fernandez is gonna be a bit risky coming back from surgery).
zeus4035
College Coach
College Coach

Response Team
(Past Year: 104)

Postby MadDog36 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:27 am

I'd keep Arenado in your shoes, premium run producer at a shallower position. I would not deal Desmond as you don't have a legit replacement for him long term if you traded him away. Strasburg is a nice get...but without a legit replacement this clears up one hole that is easier to fix than fixing SS. Just my tree.fitty.

Up for a challenge?:
viewtopic.php?t=471373
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1927)

Postby exm » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:30 pm

I agree with the above. Stras is slightly overrated and SS is a tough position. Stay put.

Help? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=471404
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 75)

Postby Seanyfever » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:18 pm

I wouldn't knock you if you went Stras. I do recognize the valuable advice given. It's all valid.

Same deal with Cruz not Desmond in there???

Help Me Pick Between Two Offers!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=471406
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions