Trout in Salary Keeper League-- WHIR 100% - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trout in Salary Keeper League-- WHIR 100%

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trout in Salary Keeper League-- WHIR 100%

Postby mx826 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm in 2nd place in a standard 5x5 roto league (only 1/2 a point behind 1st) and am looking to boost my team to victory. In wake of Cutch's injury, I feel the need to make a move. I was just offered Trout in this keeper league by a team who's near the bottom and looking to build for the future. While it seems like someone building for the future would want to keep Trout, there's a catch. In this league, players are kept for the salary they were bought for at auction and this owner ended up spending $51 to get Trout. While Trout will most likely help me win this year, I'm not sure if keeping him for that price would be the smartest move. Do you guys think that I should keep Trout even though I believe this price is over his value? The trade along with my whole team is shown below (the numbers in parentheses are the players' salaries). I should point out that minor leaguers can be kept for free but are given a salary of $4 once tehy are called up to the majors.

I give Joey Gallo (no salary yet)/Miguel Sano (no salary yet) and George Springer(4) for Mike Trout (51)

C- Jonathan Lucroy (6)
1B- Anthony Rizzo (14)
2B- Robinson Cano (30)
3B- Chris Johnson (1)
SS- Hanley Ramirez (31)
MI- Elvis Andrus (15)
CI- Justin Morneau (1)
OF- Adam Jones (26)
OF- Shin Soo Choo (15)
OF- Corey Dickerson (2)
OF- Alex Gordon (10)
U- Melky Cabrera (3)
U- Trevor Plouffe (3)
Bench- Andrew McCutchen (45), Denard Span (2)
SP- Clayton Kershaw (39), Max Scherzer (19), Cole Hamels (8), Doug Fister (10), Homer Bailey (10)
RP- David Robertson (7), Steve Cishek (7)
Bench- Rick Porcello (1), Danny Salazar (2), Danny Duffy (1)
DL- George Springer (4), Angel Pagan (1), Matt Cain (16)
Minor Leaguers- Miguel Sano, Joey Gallo, Corey Seager, Rougned Odor, Billy Burns, Dylan Bundy
mx826
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trout in Salary Keeper League-- WHIR 100%

Postby S27 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'd stand pat. Springer is coming off the DL soon and is a great value at the price you have him. That's a steep price for Trout when you know you'll still have Gallo & Sano for free next season while their value potentially builds.
S27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mx826 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 pm

S27 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'd stand pat. Springer is coming off the DL soon and is a great value at the price you have him. That's a steep price for Trout when you know you'll still have Gallo & Sano for free next season while their value potentially builds.

Thank you for the help. I have been offered many trades for Springer and this is the first time I'm considering it just because of the intrigue of owning Trout. Just one last thing, I want to be clear that I'm only giving up one of Sano and Gallo, not both. It just depends on what me and the other owner decide on.
mx826
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RasmusFlow » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:30 am

Hey man, at the end of the day if you have a shot at winning the league, go for it. I mean that's the point of playing right? Sucks to lose Springer, but Trout will help you win this year. If you're that close to first place then Trout will be that extra push you need. Not sure if I would keep him for $51 though. Good luck, thanks for help on mine.
RasmusFlow
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 44)

Postby rails80 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:36 am

RasmusFlow wrote:Hey man, at the end of the day if you have a shot at winning the league, go for it. I mean that's the point of playing right? Sucks to lose Springer, but Trout will help you win this year. If you're that close to first place then Trout will be that extra push you need. Not sure if I would keep him for $51 though. Good luck, thanks for help on mine.

This is what I was going to say. Unless you are in a full rebuild, you should always play to win this year. $51 may be a bit much to invest in one bat next year, but worry about that next year.
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 244)

Postby kidsilk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Don't worry about keeping Trout next season and grab him in this deal to win THIS YEAR! And, hey, I wouldn't fault you for keeping Trout at 51 dollars next year too. He is that good.

Thanks for your help with mine.
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1227)

Postby rickyp024 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Flags fly forever.

If you feel that you have a real shot at winning this year with Trout, then I make that trade. Springer/Sano/Gallo would be nice to have in the coming years, but for the here and now, Trout is the way to go.
rickyp024
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 15)

Postby WhoDatRebs » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:06 pm

With your roster, I would probably make this trade and worry about the numbers in the offseason. You've got a really good squad and Trout can put you over the edge. I would make the trade and go for the win this year. If you don't think Trout would win you your league, then staying pat wouldn't be a bad option but if it were me, I would go for it. Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=471371
WhoDatRebs
College Coach
College Coach

Response Team
(Past Year: 162)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mx826 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!!!

I just wanted to let you know that I did the deal. But don't worry, I'll be back in a few months to decide whether or not I want to keep Trout ;-D
mx826
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zeus4035 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm late to the party here, but I am on the side of taking the deal. I think it should work out well for the rest of this season :)
zeus4035
College Coach
College Coach

Response Team
(Past Year: 104)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions