Return to Kansas City Royals

KC gets Huisman from Rockies

Moderators: joshparrish, prodpaul, Baseball Moderators

Postby joshparrish » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:01 am

here is the article from MLB.com

By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals obtained right-handed pitcher Justin Huisman from the Colorado Rockies on Thursday night in exchange for two minor leaguers.
Huisman, 24, was assigned to Triple-A Omaha but could well figure in the Royals' plans this season if bullpen help is needed.

"I could see him fitting in here," general manager Allard Baird said.

Huisman was designated for assignment by the Rockies last Sunday. In 2003 for Double-A Tulsa, he had a 7-2 record, a 1.75 ERA and 26 saves in 57 games. He walked just seven while striking out 46.

"With this acquisition, we acquired a strike-thrower and a guy who creates outs with ground balls ... and he keeps the ball in the ballpark." Baird said. "Justin fits our profile."

The Rockies received right-handed pitcher Zach McClellan and first baseman Chris Fallon and cash.

"McClellan has a good arm and Fallon has good physical hitting attributes, so they ended up with a couple of good players," Baird said.

McClellan, 25, was 8-8 with a 2.84 ERA in 30 games last season for Single-A Wilmington. Fallon, 25, hit .272 with 11 homers and 79 RBIs for Wilmington.

Baird has been trolling the market for pitching depth and Huisman is the first pitcher he's landed.

"He has an average fastball, up to 92 mph, average slider, has a good sinker, and comes right at guys," Baird said.

Huisman's minor league stats include 79 saves, a 2.22 ERA and a 13-18 record.

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

with the royals plethora of 1b/OF and SP players down on the farm i see this as a good deal.
joshparrish
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:06 am

Ya know when I first heard about that guy, my intial thought was, "What!! Mark Huismann should have retired a long time ago!"

Youll remember that Huismann was RP for KC in the mid 1980's....man I am not even that old either, 24 to be exact....how do I remember Mark Huismann?????
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Kansas City Royals