Am I expecting too much from my team??? (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Am I expecting too much from my team??? (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I expecting too much from my team??? (WHIR)

Postby Burt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:14 am

H2H, 5x5, 15-player keeper league (keep a max of 5 yrs); start 1 @ each IF spot, 4 OF, CI, MI, UT, 3SP, 2RP and 2P.

C Rosario, Mesoraco
1B AGonz, M Adams
2B Kinsler, Odor
3B Machado, Bogaerts (SS)
SS Tulowitzki, Andrus
OF Trout, Braun, Holliday, Choo, B Hamilton
DL Harper

SP Bumgarner, Shields, Cole, Ventura, A Wood, Heaney, Porcello
RP Kimbrel, Holland, Robertson, Allen
DL Cashner, Wacha, Harvey

I'm sitting in next to last place with this team. To me, this team should be one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the league. Yeah, I'm a little light in the corner positions...and I've had some horrible luck with injuries, but there's way this team is that bad. Is there???
Burt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Am I expecting too much from my team??? (WHIR)

Postby JohnnyBaseball » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:44 pm

You've had some terrible luck buddy!
Machado, Harper, Harvey, Wacha - Turrible.
I'm guessing you have first pick, with Trout in your OF. I'm going back to your draft because it's a keeper league, and I'm assuming this is your first year since no one has years tagged to them. If they are different, edit this and I'll recomment.

Also, I'm gonna be a little harsh, since you think you have a good team, and I want you to grow a distaste for some people and trade them. Sorry in advance. If you don't like criticism... idk don't be the internet! hahaha JK I do like your team. But not JK on the harshness part. Here we go:

A lot of this year's draft was about getting that 1B since it fell off so steeply after the big names.
After EE, Fielder (oops), Goldschmidt, Votto, Davis there creeps in a lot of uncertainty.
Turns out, even those top 5 had a lot of uncertainty!
EE was quiet for a few months, but came back.
Fielder, terrible
Goldschmidt - great
Votto - Terrible
Davis - injuries but will have a big 2nd half
Here is where you might have made a mistake. These days, 1B is the position where you're gonna need that big elite bat to make a playoff push. OF's come and go. You can find that hot bat should one falter, plus you have a bunch of those positions. A lot of players tend to have an OF tag randomly from a few games. I'm guessing you might have taken Gonz a bit early, where you should have waited for guys like Rizzo / Freeman. If this league is from a couple years ago, then still don't take Gonz! He's been headed out, even though he's "in his prime". if you cant tell already, you need to make some moves for that 1B.

Out of the top 30 hitters thus far, 8 are 1B. After those 8, AGonz is fringe and then no one else.
11 of those top 30 are OF - of those 11, you only have 1.
Honestly, you made some picks that just didn't work out. Braun went top 30, and he hasn't brought that to the table this year. He's not even a top 15 OF. He's putting up worse numbers than Jason Heyward... Yes... Jason Heyward has more points this season.
Holliday is supposed to be super reliable, and he hasn't WoWed me. No power numbers.
Choo has disappointed after last season. But I don't know where he came from last year, so him going back to wherever that is, doesn't really surprise me.
From where I'm sittin, the two guys carrying your team are Tulo and Trout. Two great picks, that if some other guys had played like last year, you'd be doing better, though maybe not great. I think this is where your disappointment lies. You have these big name guys, who aren't who they used to be.
Holliday is 34 and maybe he doesn't have what he used to.
Gonz is 32 but his power has been gone for a couple years now.
Braun is off the juice.
Machado had a lot of hype from last year, and isn't playing up to it.
For instance -
Getting what AGonz gave last year was a blessing. He had streaks that padded his final stats. Even from there, you have to look at the regression he has shown, and project him even lower. This is not what some projections show, especially those like ESPN that rank people sometimes on name recognition. I would have told you to stay far away from AGonz, and since he did have that hot month, trade him for a bigger name, maybe trade Braun and Gonz for a great 1B and an OK OF. Harper is coming back and you'll be fine in the OF dept anyway.
Other than trading up in 1B, I can't complain too much about your offense. The Orioles will turn around and Machado will have a great 2nd half. Tulo is having the year we all knew he would if he could just stay healthy. your C are doing well, but don't expect Rosario to not get injured again this year. I just think you should diversify. Get people outplaying their names, like Todd Frazier, Brantley, Seager, Span, Heyward, etc. and cash in on the overused, over the hill guys that draw consideration.

In all honesty, if this is the first year of your league, scrap it. Trade out Agonz, Braun, Holliday, Choo, while they're names mean something. Maybe even add Kinsler to the mix for a big name plus some potential guys, like Scooter Gennett or Josh Harrison to name a few. If you can get a big bat at 1B plus another OF with more potential, plus Scoot/Jharr you could make a run at 2015. Just THINK YOUNG. And move for underrated, like the Todd Frazier type who keep surprising.
The offensive side of the ball is all about a few guys in the top 30, who day in and day out can carry your team, much like they do in real life. Rarely does a guy who hits .300 and crushes the ball come around. Get one or two of those guys, and then cover up the rest of your holes with guys that won't hurt you.

Let's say you wheel and deal and get Goldschmidt and Scooter Gennett for Kinsler and Holliday and Choo and maybe someone else. That's 3 people carrying your team instead of 2, plus some hope for the next few years. Next year, you could have an amazing pitching staff with Harvey back, Goldy cranking it out more as he gets older and stronger, Machado with some added seasoning on a big offense, plus Tulo and Trout. That team probably makes the playoffs. I'm also betting that there are some pickups on the waiver wire that are doing better than Choo is right now. Get a young prospect that isn't doing well and sit on him (since you are giving up this year anyway) Maybe someone like Dominic Brown, Colby Rasmus (had a good montha and showed promise), James Jones, Lorenzo Cain, etc. depending on how deep your league is / how many people are in it.

Moving on to Pitching -
I do like your SP, and good job sticking with Price - 4 8inn gaes in a row, 5 10+K games in a row!
Bumgarner is an Ace
Cole is turning out to be less of an ace than everyone thought, but his wins will rack up with that OF behind him. Plus look for him to narrow in on a great 2nd half as well.
Ventura, Wood, Heaney, Porcello is a great middle rotation, with no real back of the rotation guys to speak of at all. Good job.
I don't know RP so I won't pretend.
Sorry you got hosed with Harvey!

Well sorry for being a little mean. I think with some roster moves, you could even be in contention this year if you play your cards right / some guys decide to show up this year at all.

Here's mine - Thanks in advance. Feel free to just rag on everybody and get your frustration out if I pushed your buttons or anything!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=470158
JohnnyBaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 38)

Postby Burt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:37 am

Thanks for the input. I dont mind criticism at all.

No, I did not have the first pick. I had the last pick because I won the league last year...but also had the #3 due to a trade last year. Its not our first year either...this is our 6th. I hear you on the 1B deal. However, Fielder and Cabrera were the only 1B available in this year's draft (their 5 yrs were up and they were returned to the draft pool) and they were the first two players off the board. I took Tulo at #3. A Gonz was the only top 12 1B available with my picks at the turn but I went with Braun and Wainwright (who had flipped for Trout a few weeks ago).

Lastly, who is Price? :-?
Burt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby JohnnyBaseball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:09 pm

I meant Shields haha they look the same so I get confused.

Anyway good luck man!
JohnnyBaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 38)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team