I'm sick of managers taking out starters pitchin gems - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm sick of managers taking out starters pitchin gems

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm sick of managers taking out starters pitchin gems

Postby jbones733 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:02 pm

Beckett, Buerhle & now Garcia.

Thats 3 times i got screwed, Garcia being the latest & worse, He was DOMINATING the halos like he always does, struckout 7

dont gimme this burn a guy out stuff. Pitchers in the old days went on 3 days rest & pitched complete games, & they werent hurt 1/2 as much as these guys get hurt now. They baby these guys way to much. im not sayin leave him in but when a guy is as dominant as garcia i mean cmon.

& all 3 of these teams ended up losin (well ana still in progress, but im sure they will lose)
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sinicalypse » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:08 pm

it's a long season, grasshopper. i'm thinking that they're thinking that they oughta conserve.

granted it does suck, especially in a league with CGs, but throw 7 now get that W and save the juice for down the road.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby locostro » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:09 pm

are you a fan of losing pitchers to the dl by the break? this is the first week of the season, and guys are still loosening/strengthening their arms. you won't see most guys go above 100 pitches this week.
[url=http://www.rotojunkie.com]rotojunkie[/url] emigrant.
resident misser of the dome.
locostro
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bleach168 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:15 pm

Take a deep breath. Realize that your sleeper pitcher just shut down one of the most dangerous lineups in the game. Start planning your victory speech.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby jbones733 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:19 pm

locostro wrote:are you a fan of losing pitchers to the dl by the break? this is the first week of the season, and guys are still loosening/strengthening their arms. you won't see most guys go above 100 pitches this week.

Dude Then explain to me how back in the day. Guys used to pitch double headers & went on 4 days rest & got hurt 1/2 as less as these guys now. It all being pampered thats what it does to ya.

Good for the M's now their 0-3
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Green Monstah » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:28 pm

leaving a pitcher in when he is pitching a gem doesn't always work out...case in point, Jimmy leaving Oswalt in the 8th inning a couple games back.
Green Monstah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby locostro » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:11 pm

Green Monstah wrote:leaving a pitcher in when he is pitching a gem doesn't always work out...case in point, Jimmy leaving Oswalt in the 8th inning a couple games back.

your point is valid, but your example isn't strong enough:
-roy hadn't reached 100 pitches at that point.
-jimy doesn't have a lefty in the pen (though miceli is probably the next best thing).
-roy was sharp.
nothing pointed to roy leaving a fastball over the plate. it was a mistake.

jbones733 wrote: Dude Then explain to me how back in the day. Guys used to pitch double headers & went on 4 days rest & got hurt 1/2 as less as these guys now. It all being pampered thats what it does to ya.

right. that's a valid point. ;-7
[url=http://www.rotojunkie.com]rotojunkie[/url] emigrant.
resident misser of the dome.
locostro
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:21 pm

One week (roughly) out of seven months. Comparing them to the good old days is apples and oranges. Although I'd liked to have Bob Gibson on my roster.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:31 am

jbones733 wrote:
locostro wrote:are you a fan of losing pitchers to the dl by the break? this is the first week of the season, and guys are still loosening/strengthening their arms. you won't see most guys go above 100 pitches this week.

Dude Then explain to me how back in the day. Guys used to pitch double headers & went on 4 days rest & got hurt 1/2 as less as these guys now. It all being pampered thats what it does to ya.

What day? Cy Young maybe, but that hasn't happened in 90 years. Do you have any proof guys got hurt 50% less? I'd like to see it. If you look back in time, guys weren't really superhuman. They might have pitching more innings, but the pitch counts of games equalizes some things, and many sp were out of bb by their 30's, from the early abuse in their career.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby KULCAT » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:16 am

To add to Hootie´s point, They didnt throw as hard either. A good fastball in those days was clocked at 86. Less stress on the arm meant less rest needed.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers