Should I pay attention to spring training stats? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Should I pay attention to spring training stats?

Should I pay attention to spring training stats?

Postby oscarsf » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:34 am

The old adage is spring training stats don't mean much, but find them useful for setting the stage to begin the season.

http://fantasybaseballforbeginners.com/spring-training-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

I belong to the SFRRC Fantasy Baseball League.
oscarsf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Should I pay attention to spring training stats?

Postby st3v3k4hn » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 pm

I wish I knew. There are a bunch of guys who look great this spring and have the pedigree to be real breakout guys. Guys like Ackley, Brad Miller, Moustakas, AJ Pollock, Michael Brantley, Kolten Wong, Nick Castellanos are all tearing it up, and most will probably go undrafted in my relatively shallow Yahoo H2H categories league. I am very tempted to just load up on pitching and studs and then to draft a bunch of these guys late. I know spring training hasnt been especially predictive of regular season performance - in fact this isnt the first time that Moustakas has had a great spring. Am I nuts for thinkng that this is different, and at least some of these guys will actually be top 5 at their positions? Is it nuts to draft someone like Ackley over guys like Hill, Utley, Murphy, etc??
st3v3k4hn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby oscarsf » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:24 pm

I certainly hope Brad Miller comes through. I drafted him as my starting shortstop late in the draft. We have a 16-team league with 25 roster spots, so there isn't much to wade through in the free agent pool after the draft.
oscarsf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby jonboycubs » Mon May 26, 2014 6:03 pm

I think spring training stats can be important as if the player has good stats it can help him jumpstart the season, imo, every stat counts

"Baseball fans are junkies, and their heroin is the statistic." - Robert S. Weider
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1094)

Return to Beginner's Forum