SP - A.J. Burnett
SP - Ivan Nova
RP - Koji Uehara
RP - Rafael Soriano
P - Huston Street
BN - Scott Kazmir
BN - Drew Smyly
BN - Michael Pineda

My main concern is starting pitching. Should I try to trade for some pitching or simply wait for pickups in a 10-team league? Also regretting drafting Altuve a bit since he seems to lose quite a bit in a OBP and SLG league.

Would appreciate any thoughts.
Last edited by bravos89 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bravos89
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 10-Team H2H Thoughts

Postby Bunker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:48 am

I think you are correct on Starting pitching. Not too sure who to drop though. I am keeping an eye on Alex Woods and Yordano Ventura- two guys that are having great springs.

Do you guys start that many OFs (5)?
Bunker
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Re: 10-Team H2H Thoughts

Postby kidsilk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:00 am

I love your offense. It is hole free. Don't worry about Altuve. He will get you the steals you need and the rest of your team is set with great power/SLG/OBP. Your weakness is your starting pitching. In a shallow league I would be a little worried with Hamels and Cobb as my aces. I would look to upgrade there. Maybe trade Pujols for a nice starter or package Brown and Butler in a 2 for 1 or 2 for 2 for a starter and a lesser outfielder. Butler and Brown will both give you solid and consistent power numbers 20-25 HR 80-90 RBI and pretty good OBP/SLG so they might net you a good starter.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=468546
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1231)

Re: 10-Team H2H Thoughts (WHIR)

Postby bravos89 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately, the pitching is really thin in this league as guys I would be interested in picking up like Alex Wood, Ventura, or even Tyson Ross are not available. The best I can find on the waiver wire would be something like Hector Santiago, Jose Quintana or Kyle Lohse and I'm not sure any of them provide more upside than my current back-end starters.

I'm thinking about sitting tight and hoping some of my back-end starters emerge or someone breaks out among the FA pool. I want to hold onto Pujols at least for now because I'm hoping he's going to rebound this year.

I'd be open to trading Butler/Brown for some kind of starter. Any suggestions on the level of SP I should be targeting or any SPs that might be underrated?
bravos89
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 5)

Postby dillonlockwood » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:17 am

I think it's important to consider your categories. You can rely on that offense so let's talk pitching. Try to snag an ace that eats innings like Latos, Bailey, or Zimmerman. Keep Hamels for that purpose. Check out which 8th inning strikeout machines are FA. Doesn't matter how reliable the closer is. Anything can happen and it always does with RP. I seek out these kinds of guys every season and never draft an RP because they're a CL. This strategy works wonders.. Frieri and Chapman agreed with me in 2012. Even if they never close they will significantly boost your K/9, ERA, and WHIP. Way more value in three categories than just SV.
Soriano and Street are getting sold if that's my team. Maybe one team has a closer like Grilli who strikes em out but they overvalue SV like everyone else. Offer Street and Soriano, use the empty spot to snag one of those 8th inning guys.

If you can't slide one of those aces that go deep into games, don't reach too much for IP or QS. It's not worth scrapping any part of your offense. If you pick your match-ups well and aim to meet the minimum IP, you can sneak ERA, WHIP, and K/9 from any other staff. Giving up on two pitching categories so you are competing in the other four, and hopefully winning most offensive categories means you won't be winning by very much, but at least more often than not. That's a playoff spot in a 10-team. Having three good RP who will support those categories is crucial to the success of this strategy. My two cents.
Thoughts on my team?
viewtopic.php?t=468521
dillonlockwood
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby handslikesecrets » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:00 pm

Offense is stacked. Your pitching needs work, as others have said, but you still have some good pieces. I would maybe focus more on Ks and Wins and consider streaming a few pitchers, and then a couple of weeks into the season, see which teams in your league are struggling offensively and propose a trade- you definitely have the pieces to trade.

Help with mine?

viewtopic.php?t=468672
handslikesecrets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team