How important is waiver priority in single universe leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How important is waiver priority in single universe leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How important is waiver priority in single universe leagues?

Postby zEli173 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:25 pm

So some dope freaked out about Dmitri Young and dropped him in my 8 team AL only league. Although I'm a little worried that Dmitri won't be 100% agian this year he's still quite valuable in this league if healthy (and an upgrade over my current 3B Joe Crede).

Right now my waiver priority is 7th out of 8 so I don't have much to loose but I've never played in a non-mixed league so I'm hoping some experienced managers can give me some advice on handling waiver priority. Should I just sit back and wait to move up in priority, hoping that a big time player comes to the AL mid season? Or should I consider Dmitri a pretty good use of priority? Do managers tend to be very conservative with their priority? I don't know about the 6 managers ahead of me, but I'm pretty certain that the guy with 8th priority will wait for a big splash before he uses his priority (hence if he moves ahead of me in priority it will stay that way).
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaveFer » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:36 pm

well who do u have at 3B or OF... if either one is weak i would try to get Young
DaveFer
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zEli173 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:45 pm

I have a 3B (Joe Crede) but I'm not really asking about Dmitri Young, I'm asking what experience suggests I can anticipate becoming available on the waiver wire later in the year. And whether I should expect to move up in priority or if the people ahead of me will sit tight and wait for a big splash.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:59 pm

well if it is only the number 7 spot out of 8, I would put in a claim, If I was sitting at 1,2 or 3 maybe not ... Remember, there is still a bunch a players Yahoo has yet to add, at least I know there is in the NL. That will cause some waivers to move here in a week or two.

All in all, in an 8 team AL only league, I figure the waivers will turn over twice, maybe three times in total. So sitting at 7 or 8 early in the season is not that bad.

My guess is you won't get him at 7, though .. Just a thought.

I am in a very similar delimna. I have the 3rd waiver in a 16tm NL only league, and Womack is sitting out there. I need SB's and my infield consists of K. Greene and R. Alomar. Ouch. I hate to waste a number three waiver on Womack, but its a gamble I might need to take. Especially since he is 2B/SS elig.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby sinicalypse » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:04 pm

well when you take into account the "sliders" effect, like an infinite plane of multiple worlds, i've just gone to 50 other worlds, nabbed vlad guerrero, and assembled a team of renditions of him and that has done me pretty well thus far.

otherwise, waiver position is good to have for later in the season when someone who looks like a fix-me-upper is dropped, or when someone godly is called up, like mark prior in 2002, its nice to have.

but its not the end of the world. it's like being king of the lepers, or something.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby zEli173 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:10 pm

That infield is pretty nasty, but I still wouldn't waste that priority on Womack. Resist! BTW, i agree that my chances of getting Dmitri are slim but I'ver decided to put the claim in. Even if it costs me a chance at some stud coming to the AL in a blockbuster, 4 1/2 months of Dmitri is better than almost anyone for 2 months.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:37 pm

i think you could use that # 7 priority on Young (even tho im not so sure how big of an update its is- Crede hitting behind the Big Hurt and Carlos Lee). what i mean is that you dont have that much too loose except for a no. 7 priority in an 8-team league and theres probably no super rookies like Prior coming up midseason this year at least.
Heres the cream of the mid-season crop-

John Patterson (MON),
Zach Greinke (KC)- hes probably the most talented and the closest thing to a super rookie this year but it may take him an extra year- he still 20 or 21
Taylor Buchholz (HOU)
Edwin Jackson- don't count him out yet
Ryan Madson (PHI)
Alexis Rios (TOR)
Grady Sizemore (CLE)
David DeJesus (KC)
Cole Hamels (PHI)
Justin Morneau (MIN)

BTW- these are just guys who're considered to be pretty talented and did good in the minors (theres prolly a few more that i forgot about or don't know about). a few of them may not come up at all depending on their teams needs and position (in the playoff race) and also how they do in the minors the first half of the season.

don't blame me of any of these guys don't plan out :-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zEli173 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:01 pm

Thanks for the thoughts thus far ;-D
I've decided to put in my waiver request on Dmitri but that's no reason to end the discussion.

I'd like to emphasize - again - that this is an AL-only league so the concern is not with rookies being promoted or players Yahoo has yet to add, it is with established NL stars being traded to AL teams mid-season (and visa-versa for you NL-only folks). Although, as wrveres pointed out, players to be added and promoted rookies play a roll in priority tunrover.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:09 pm

zEli173 wrote:
I'd like to emphasize - again - that this is an AL-only league so the concern is not with rookies being promoted or players Yahoo has yet to add, it is with established NL stars being traded to AL teams mid-season

my bad... didnt notice the AL-only part :-t
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers