Iffy trade question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Iffy trade question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Iffy trade question

Postby Apollo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:14 am

Hey guys, I've been commissioning a league for many years. Tom is a long time member, and about six years ago we were short an owner, so he invited his friend Pete to join. Pete hasn't ever been a contender, but he's a nice guy, everybody liked him well enough, and he's active, so he has stuck. The problem is, about once per year, he and Tom make a trade that is clearly (but not obscenely) lopsided in Tom's favor. We've generally chalked it up to Pete not being very good and Tom talking his friend into things, and it's not like Tom is dominating the league, so we haven't done anything about it.

Anyway, Pete just traded Hanley Ramirez (his first-round pick) to Tom for Martin Prado (10th round) and Bobby Parnell (18th round). On the one hand, our league counts doubles, which makes Prado a little more valuable, but on the other hand, it's a fairly shallow league and there are a couple of closers sitting on waivers. It's hard for me to justify this.

I don't know Pete that well, and I don't really want to call him out. I don't even really think that they're colluding. But it's also kind of unfair to everyone else that Tom gets an easy boost to his team every year. What would you do, fellow commissioners? Or do you think I'm crazy and this trade is legit?
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Iffy trade question

Postby MoHead » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:58 pm

On the surface it's a bad trade. But maybe it could depend on the rosters and the structure of your league. My league is a salary keeper with rules restricting certain ways guys can be kept. That trade could make sense in my league before the auction if one team was trying to shed salary and had an alternate plan at shortstop.

If it's just a straight draft league, I'd think it allows for some questioning. The rule I have in place is that all trades must contain value on both sides. Value is very subjective, because as I said, the value might be shedding salary and a player you couldn't keep anyway. Prado has some additional value because of his multiple eligibility and Parnell might be better than some expect this year, so if Pete has gaping holes at 2B, 3B, or RP and two great shortstops, maybe it makes sense (still a bad trade, but it might have legit value.)

If the value is not apparent to you, then as commish I think it is your right to ask both teams what value they feel they got out of the trade. If Pete was just suckered by Tom, maybe you let it slide with a warning that Pete needs to do a little more homework because trades like this throw off the competitive balance of the league. If they have no plausible explanation and the trade seems to reek of collusion, then it probably is and you should overturn it.
MoHead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby jackets55 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:21 pm

First question I would have is, do you let your owners vote on trades or do you assume the responsibility alone? I have been commissioning for about 11 years and have never had to revoke a trade as we have all owners vote and they do a good job of weeding out the bad trades (probably only two in all that time). Under most circumstances, most trades can be justified, particularly in a keeper league. Owners value players differently. Also roto versus H2H point systems make a definite difference how a trade is viewed. To be honest in my H2H point league, I would probably give you Ramirez straight up for Prado and it probably wouldn't garner 1 or 2 negative votes from the 20 owners.
Last edited by jackets55 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackets55
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby converge241 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:10 pm

I wouldn't blink at it, Hanley is perceived so high yet he has killed some teams in recent years trying to depend on him and missing him at the wrong time.

Could he have gotten "more" by shopping him around? Very likely but sometimes owners just move on.

On the eye test its lopsided on paper but not worth that second look for veto IMO
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Return to Commissioner's Corner