16 TM ROTO Expansion Team WHIR? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

16 TM ROTO Expansion Team WHIR?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

16 TM ROTO Expansion Team WHIR?

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:08 am

16 Team Keep 5 players
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

We had a expansion draft prior to the draft last night. I'm not really loving my team this morning. To many things have to go perfect for them to be good I think. Missed out on the early run of closers so i'm screwed in that department. Unless Crain can takeover the closers role in Houston. I decided to take some holds guys late in the draft to help with my ERA, K and WHIP. You can't finish in the bottom five two years in a row or you are booted from the league. I really need Rizzo, Arenado and Castellanos to blossom into keeper quality bats. Along with Carpenter being for real to have any chance of building something. Otherwise I will be fighting a uphill battle to stick in the league.

(K) = Keeper

C- Evan Gattis
1B- Anthony Rizzo
2B- Matt Carpenter
3B- Nolan Arenado
SS- Jhonny Peralta
IF- Chase Utley
OF- Giancarlo Stanton (K)
OF- Hunter Pence (K)
OF- Nori Aoki
OF- Nick Castellanos
UT- Ryan Howard
Bench- AJ Pierzynski, Kolten Wong, Justin Ruggiano, Lorenzo Cain

SP- Geritt Cole (K)
SP- Zack Greinke (K)
RP- Steve Cishek
RP- Jesse Crain
P- Paco Rodriguez
P- David Carpenter
P- Luis Avilan
Bench- Jordan Zimmermann (K), Chris Archer, Michael Pineda, Tim Hudson, Derek Holland
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 632)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 16 TM ROTO Expansion Team WHIR?

Postby zyzzbrah34 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:33 am

I don't think it's a bad team. Pence, Stanton, and Carpenter are all great batters. Gattis, Howard, and Rizzo could be in for big years. Utley is more promising now that he showed that he can stay relatively healthy for a season. The other guys are decent but might be replaceable by FA. Cole, Greinke, Zimmermann, and Holland are all solid. Don't know much about the other guys.
zyzzbrah34
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 62)

Postby KrazyA428 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:40 am

I don't have any experience in a league with more than 12 guys, so it's kind of difficult for me to judge. But from a player evaluation standpoint, I like the guys on your team. I was high on Rizzo and Arenado going into the season, and I think they'll take a nice step forward. I also think that Aoki is very underrated. He's got a shot at 100 R this year hitting atop a sneaky potent Royals lineup. I've also read very positive things about Castellanos. Not a huge fan of Peralta or Howard, but I understand with 16 teams it's tough.

Nice foundation for your pitching staff, maybe you could find another SP3 type to fill out the back end of your staff. Good luck this year man!
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Bardu » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:57 am

I've never played in a league that large either, but your team looks good to me. I'm really high on M Carpenter, I wouldn't sweat him at all. Gattis, Rizzo, Carp, Arenado, Peralta, Stanton, Pence, and Aoki are all great options. Utley and Howard could still have bounce back seasons, but I'd watch the waivers to reinforce those spots.

Maybe watch the Reds closer situation? Also, what is your pitching format? I've never heard of the three guys in your P spots, haha.
Bardu
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:06 pm

Bardu wrote:I've never played in a league that large either, but your team looks good to me. I'm really high on M Carpenter, I wouldn't sweat him at all. Gattis, Rizzo, Carp, Arenado, Peralta, Stanton, Pence, and Aoki are all great options. Utley and Howard could still have bounce back seasons, but I'd watch the waivers to reinforce those spots.

Maybe watch the Reds closer situation? Also, what is your pitching format? I've never heard of the three guys in your P spots, haha.

Pitching is Wins, ERA, Saves, WHIP and K's

The 3 guys in my P spot are holds guys. Rodriguez plays for the Dodgers and Avilan and Carpenter play for the Braves. My thinking was since I missed out on the closer. I would pickup holds guys late in the draft. That way they can help my era, whip and k's more than a SP who I might be skipping starts on or is WW fodder.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby BravesGuy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:20 pm

That's not a bad team for a 16 team league. Those big leagues are tough.
Keep an eye on the Closer's Thread and try to be ahead of the game if someone gets hurt. Instead of having both Avilan and Carpenter, maybe just keep one of those guys and grab another solid holds guy or potential closer.
I like you having Gattis and AJ at catcher. Gattis could go on a run and you could place him in the OF and move AJ to C if your other OF or Util are struggling.

Thanks for the help with mine.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:46 pm

I have a open roster space now with Holland getting put on the DL. Plus whenever Crain gets put on the DL. These are the RP names that jump out to me. I was planing on getting another one to fill in. But I could take two if people like them better. Some are banged up though so they might even be on the DL to start the year.

Ryan Cook
Sean Doolittle
Craig Stammen
Junichi Tazawa
Steve Delabar
Joel Peralta
Sean Marshall
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby luso26 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:26 pm

For a 16 team it doesn't look too bad. I'm banking on a couple of the same players to pan out myself (Rizzo & Arenado). Carpenter won't duplicate his numbers but he should continue to provide good top of the lineup stats in the Cards potent lineup. Not too sure how Peralta & Utley will turn out though, for your sake, hopefully good. I guess you will be relying on 4 guys for that power (Stanton, Rizzo, Howard & Gattis). Might be a little tough. You've got a little bit of a mix too with guys that hit for a nice AVG and others not so much, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. Offensively, I don't really see any area in which really stands out that you should do really well in personally.
Pitching no real true ace. But enough upside guys (Pineda, Cole & Archer) where it should be a nice assemble of a staff. As well Zimmerman & Greinke two solid guys to have in your rotation.
I would add Doolittle out of those RPs btw.

viewtopic.php?t=468351
luso26
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby jonboycubs » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:44 am

Id be decently happy with this team, You got a decent catcher in Gattis, and I have high hopes for Rizzo, but I am a cubs fan so I may be bias a bit. Even so he will knock plenty out of Wrigley. Carpenter is great for your team, Stanton is Stanton, Pence is also great imo, You got some good pitchers Zimmerman, Greinke, Cole.

One thing that may be a thought if you are nervous about finishing bottom 5, Is try and get a good price for Stanton. I know he is a stellar keeper, but if you could get yourself a top notch pitcher who gets k's, as Zimmerman tends to be low on those, and then a decent bat back. If you do not want to move Stanton though, and that would be understandable, maybe move Carpenter. Allthough is position eligibility is nice. Your team is not top notch, but I do think you have the right pieces to work some trades and make your team a playoff team
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1094)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team