I got 2nd Pick. Whats the verdict? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I got 2nd Pick. Whats the verdict? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I got 2nd Pick. Whats the verdict? WHIR

Postby luso26 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:56 pm

ROTO, HEAD2HEAD, 12 TEAM, AVG, R, RBI, HR, SB, BB - ERA WHIP, K, SAVES

C - Evan Gattis
1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Jedd Gyorko
3B - Miguel Cabrera
SS - Jean Segura
OF - Carlos Gomez
OF - Jose Bautista
OF - Will Myers
UTI - Desmond Jennings [of]
UTI - Nolan Arenado [3b]
BN - Justin Morneau [1b]

Pitching-
SP - David Price
SP - Alex Cobb
RP - Fernando Rodney
RP - Trevor Rosenthal
P - Tony Cingrani
P - Chris Archer
P - Alex Wood
P - Tyson Ross
P - Chris Tillman
P - Dan Straily
P - Hector Santiago
P - Drew Hutchison
luso26
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I got 2nd Pick. Whats the verdict? WHIR

Postby WizElGuap » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Hitting - I'm concerned about Gattis getting a seasons worth of at bats, you might want to keep your eyes open for a second catcher just in case. The lack of at bats is what lowers catchers value and if Gattis splits time at all that's going to lower numbers even more (might get some time in OF), The rest of your line up has ALOT of power but batting average WILL be an issue. Segura had a poor second half last year and although he stole 17 bases his power completely disappeared and he has an injury history in the minors,however he still hit for good average and the brewers lineup should be potent enough this year to boost his runs total assuming he keeps the leadoff spot. Someone like Kelly Johnson might be a good utility for your team as you will already be down in average his power and position flexibility would be helpful with injuries or days off

Pitching - Pretty solid at the back end of your staff although I don't see Ross repeating his #s but you never know. Also keep an eye on Rodney this year because Danny Farquar pitched extremely well at the end of last year as the closer, and Rodney has been on the decline. Hector Santiago is one of my personal favorite sleeper pitchers this year, he has electric stuff, can be wild at times but high strike out potential with a great lineup so he should get run support.

Good luck and keep and eye on your closer situation
WizElGuap
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:37 pm

I like the bats. I would like another couple of bats on the bench. Not sure Morneau is roster worthy at this point. I have him in my 16 team league and not solid on him for that. Team should struggle outside of Segura and Jennings for speed. But has some really good power. Pitching staff i'm not sold on. Price i'm a little leery of this year. I would feel more comfortable with him slotting in as a #2 or even better a 3. Wouldn't want 3 guys from one staff. I think the SP will struggle and the RP is overall weak. I personally think you need 4 RP to challenge in roto leagues. 2 is just not enough and if one falters or gets hurt you have no chance in that category.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 640)

Postby BalooDP » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 am

I'm worried about your pitching. Lots of unexperienced guys and really only one true Ace in price. Your RP is bad, I don't like rolling with Rodney as a 1st option, he's shown that he's just so inconsistent as a closer and Rosenthal has only one year of closing under his belt. Offense is pretty good, though I'd be looking for an upgrade at 2B. Everything else looks pretty solid though.
BalooDP
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 175)

Postby aqr135 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:29 am

Hey, thanks for helping out with mine. Sorry it's taken me a bit to get to yours. I like your team -- I think you have a bunch of high-upside guys, but also a fair amount of risk. You definitely have a nice amount of power bats, so you should be fine in that sense, although as others have said, your average may take a hit (buoyed by Cabrera, though). In terms of your pitchers, lots of potential there, but also lots of risk of regression (Ross, Tillman, Cingrani). I think Wood, Archer, Price, Cobb will all have good years. Santiago definitely has the skills, but we'll see if he can turn it into consistent production. I'm higher than most on Straily, but we'll see if he pans out. And as others have said, your closer situation could use some work on the waiver wire. If Farquar is out there, definitely pick him up, but my guess is that he's not. Overall, solid team with the potential for great things, but also the potential to underperform a bit if certain guys don't perform as expected. One note on Cingrani -- I picked him up last year when he got to the majors and LOVED the production and strikeouts he gave me, but the league will catch up to him pretty soon, I believe. If he has a good start to the year, I'd consider selling him high.
aqr135
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team