Need a Location for Auction - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need a Location for Auction

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need a Location for Auction

Postby JBagKY » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:08 am

The place that we normally have it, some one's house, is now on the market for sale. They will have power, but nothing else (no TV and no internet). So, I have been scrambling to try and find another place to host our auction. No one else's house would work either. So, I was wondering what places do you guys have your auction, if you all get together. I am just looking for ideas on places that I haven't tried yet.
JBagKY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need a Location for Auction

Postby bigmck » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Our league used to have ours at the same Sportsbar every year. They would reserve us a place and we could eat, drink and be loud. Much better than someone's house.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby MoHead » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:51 pm

I've also done them at bars. If you have it on a Saturday or Sunday morning at a bigger sports bar, it's usually pretty quiet. But you'll want to contact the establishment in advance. They do want your group to eat and drink, so don't think you can order 12 glasses of water and hang out ;-)

Have you considered online as an option? CBS does have a very nice online auction room. If you don't use that site you could ---technically--- still use the auction room as they give you 10 or 14 days free use before you have to pay up, and they do not force you to pay just because you set up a league site; they just close the site when the trial period expires. A little work for the commish, but you could set up a site one week in advance, import keepers and such, run the auction, then export the results (CBS has an export to Excel option), finally import or manually enter the result or rosters into the website that you do use.
MoHead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby Goatrider » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:43 am

A lot of sports bars or "fun" chain restaurants have a private room. They let bigger groups take them in exchange for bringing in food/drink business. Should not be hard to track one down. We now draft at a golf course every year. Clubhouses usually have nooks, crannies, and siderooms plus experience in catering to groups.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby JBagKY » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:38 pm

I actually contacted the Chamber of Commerce in the city and they had a little conference room that I can rent out. So, we are having it there. Thanks for the suggestions though.
JBagKY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby converge241 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:12 pm

If anyone else is looking either for a late retro draft or for future;

A lot of times those sportsbars will give a solid discount rate if you do it during non peak time say like a tuesday night.

They will make out by having more business than they normally wood by the food and the drinks; sometimes they right kind of smaller place may give you their "function room" or sectioned area for free
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Return to Commissioner's Corner