Using CBS FAAB... Any gotchas to look out for? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Using CBS FAAB... Any gotchas to look out for?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Using CBS FAAB... Any gotchas to look out for?

Postby MoHead » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Long standing h2h auction keeper league using weekly lineups on CBS. We are trying FAAB for the first time. Any gotchas I should look out for from leagues who have used this in the past?

Using a $125 budget, and though it is a manual process for the commish, the winning bid will become the player's salary on the active roster (I expect 98% of bids will be the default $1 ). If a team blows through their budget, they can request an extra $50 from the commish, but the price is the loss of $10 off of next year's keeper budget.
MoHead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Using CBS FAAB... Any gotchas to look out for?

Postby jackets55 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Half of my leagues that I participate in have been utilizing the FAAB process for 5-6 years. The system itself runs pretty smoothly and not a lot of systemic issues. This assumes that you and the other owners are already used to using the waiver process. The waiver process has a lot of "what ifs" that require getting familiar with, but the tracking of $$ by the FAAB is solid. If you are using waivers for the first time in conjunction with the FAAB then that is where the hassles as commissioner will come from - at least until everyone gets used to it. As you stated, the workload ends up being on the commish who has to input the salary after the pickup (wish CBS would have a option to do that automatically).

I think the option to allow an owner to request extra $$ is a bad one. Kind of goes against the reason for having a budget. Perhaps a better way is to allow owners to use FAAB $$ in conjunction with trades as an equalizer if someone is desperate for additional $$.

Good Luck.
jackets55
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 pm

I used the CBS FAAB for several years. It works fine, never any system problems. The only hard part for the Commish is inputting the Salary. Other than that it is automatic. You mentioned in your post that you are doing it manually. There is no reason for that. It works automatically without a problem. That is the way to do it, not manually. I also agree getting extra $$ is a bad idea.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby MoHead » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:42 pm

We've used waivers since day 1, so that shouldn't be an issue. The reason I added the option to get an extra $50 (and it will likely only be offered this year) is in case someone blows through their whole budget by July not realizing the ramifications. If someone does that, I know it will be one of two teams, and they will definitely be hurt worse by losing money from next year's keeper budget than they were helped by picking up 50 crap waiver wire guys.

Thanks for the replies!
MoHead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MoHead » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 pm

I did think about the option of allowing teams to trade FAAB dollars, but wasn't sure how to manage that without it being a big old cluster***k. Does anyone out their allow their team to trade FAAB dollars? And if so, how do you manage it?
MoHead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:28 pm

MoHead wrote:We've used waivers since day 1, so that shouldn't be an issue. The reason I added the option to get an extra $50 (and it will likely only be offered this year) is in case someone blows through their whole budget by July not realizing the ramifications. If someone does that, I know it will be one of two teams, and they will definitely be hurt worse by losing money from next year's keeper budget than they were helped by picking up 50 crap waiver wire guys.

Thanks for the replies!

Are you talking about waivers or FAAB? From the way you are talking, you are using the terms as if they mean the same thing. They are two different things entirely.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby MoHead » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Another poster had said something to the effect of, 'if we had never used waivers before it would be a harder learning curve.' We've used waivers since day 1, now making the jump to FAAB instead this year.
MoHead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fast dogs » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:57 am

why not have the minimum salary for winning bids be a standard $5 or $8 if it is less than that? would that be easier for a commish to handle or even a setting that defaults to the minimum? If not an option, at worst you know that anyone w/o a contract is $5 or $8 and at seasons end you could enter it then for players that might be keepers. maybe what I'm thinking isn't do-able
The waiver process has a lot of "what ifs"...
as in what if I don't get the winning bid on my 1st player???
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Return to Commissioner's Corner