Check my squad out please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Check my squad out please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Check my squad out please

Postby rzaw » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:54 am

Ok, so this is the first draft of the year. I waited on pitching and think I waited too long. 12 team league/23 round draft/ (Round player was picked) - Feedback is appreciated

1B: Paul GoldSchmidt (1)
2B: Matt Carpenter (5)
3B: Martin Prado (9)
SS: Ian Desmond (3)
C: Salvador Perez (10)
Corner Infielder 3B/1B: Xander Bogaerts (13)
OF: Carlos Gomez (2)
OF: Justin Upton (4)
OF: Matt Kemp (7)
OF: Khris Davis (18)
Utility: Mark Teixera (16)
Utility: Ben Revere (20)
P: Jason Grille (15)
SP: Jered Weaver (8)
SP: CJ Wilson (11)
SP: Matt Garza (14)
SP: Jake Peavy (17)
SP: Chris Archer (19)
RP: Greg Holland (6)
RP: Koji Uehara (12)
Bench: Bartolo Colon (21)
Bench: Johnny Peralta (22)
Bench: Dustin Ackley (23)

7 out of the first 13 rounds my actual pick was taken between 1 and 3 picks ahead of me. Super frustrating.... But hey, gotta improvise. Please sound off... Looking for constructive criticism.

Thanks!
rzaw
T-Ball Trainer

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Check my squad out please

Postby FantasyGiant » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:11 am

You're right, SP could use some help. I feel like you could get Peralta/Ackley numbers at any point this season off the wire. It might be worth it to take a chance on one of the high-upside rookies that might make the rotation this year (Bradley, Ventura, Paxton, Walker, Syndergaard) or established guys like Lohse or Hudson (if any are available). Also, your HR are kinda predicated on Teixeira/Kemp staying healthy and Davis putting up numbers for a whole season. Might not be the worst idea to back them up with Lind or Dunn if you're willing to risk BA. Overall, though, this team looks pretty good. Your RP should supply the extra strikeouts your starters are lacking, and it was a great move picking up Revere to keep you in the running for SB. Nice job adjusting when your picks disappear in front of you, I know the feeling. Good luck!
FantasyGiant
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)

Re: Check my squad out please

Postby DutchySox » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:23 am

Yeah, I think you nailed it: SP is a bit messy (Jered Weaver in the 8th? He fell to the 13th in my 12-team league last night and the 15th in my 10-teamer). Colon in the 21st could prove to be a steal. I'd swap Ackley out for someone with more upside (a starting pitcher?). Love the Archer pick at 19.

For offense, I think you'll be lacking power when push comes to shove. Goldschmidt is great, obviously, and Ian Desmond (though drafted early) should provide plenty of pop from shortstop, but that's about it. There was no 3B on the board in the second round to take over Gomez? 3B is terribly shallow this year, and I've been able to round out my OF in the late rounds. There are several guys I would've chased over Prado, if only for the power potential (Gyorko, Seager, or if you want to go early Wright or Longoria). Your OF is stacked, but with unknowns (I don't trust either of the three starters), though Khris Davis is a great 18th round pick.

You're going to have to make a few moves, but it's a solid framework to start building from.

If you'd care to shoot at my team, I'd appreciate it: viewtopic.php?t=468134
DutchySox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team