Auction League Shocker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Auction League Shocker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Auction League Shocker

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:35 pm

So it ends up being Tulo + Molina for Kershaw, Cole, and Hardy? Sounds pretty good to me. Then you can just cut one of your $1 guys and still have a couple bucks of cap space.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GibandLou » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:43 pm

I like that trade. Good value on both sides. Tulo is the best player in the trade, today. But he's ALWAYS an injury risk. Cole has fantastic upside. Hardy is a filler, but a decent one.

I'm a huge proponent of owning Kershaw if you can. He's such a difference-maker.

Claim him. You can figure out the details.
GibandLou
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Just did another trade moving Molina and a 4th round pick for his Lucroy and 6th round. I don't care I traded down two rounds, but this should free up just enough money with a couple bucks left over, Lucroy only costs 2 dollars, so that saves 10 more.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1943)

Postby sn267537 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:47 pm

MadDog36 wrote:Just did another trade moving Molina and a 4th round pick for his Lucroy and 6th round. I don't care I traded down two rounds, but this should free up just enough money with a couple bucks left over, Lucroy only costs 2 dollars, so that saves 10 more.

That's excellent solution to move Molina. I like lucroy, and at 2 dollars you're much closer to Kershaw

What about the Tulo trade?
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby JJJur » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:24 am

Tough one. But just to get it straight... you are already making moves even though you are not sure yet if Kershaw is actually available? I mean, if I would be the one ruling, I'd say he goes back to his original owner, and the owner gets a warning or is kicked out...

Will all your moves also be nullified if Kershaw gets sent back? If not.. consider how it all impacts you if things don't work out.
JJJur
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:47 pm

MadDog36 wrote:I'm in a 10 Team Mixed Auction 6x6 League (-W, -BA, + k/9, QS, Hold, OPS XBH)
I am currently five dollars under my salary limit, and also have first waiver priority due to contractual agreement to join league. Clayton Kershaw's impatient owner, fed up by his lousy Spring performance cut him and his $35 dollar salary to waivers. It is causing quite an uproar, three folks have demanded he be placed back on his original owner's roster, but a ruling is forthcoming. Two guys in the auction went belly up against each other to get him and he's the highest priced player in our player universe (Trout being just behind him at 33 and my Mcab at 32)

My deal is this, I have first priority and can claim him, but it would put me way over the limit and would thusly require the following two things to happen:

A) Player(s) would have to be cut from my roster to keep from being deliquent. Once the transaction is completed, I have three days to get into compliance or I could face a loss of a keeper slot for next season for every day I'm not compliant.

B) I like to save five dollars in most auction leagues I do to pick up breakout performers or replacements due to extreme injuries.

Here's my team currently:
My offense is fantastic, but my pitching lacks a second ace, which I could use, but the problem is getting under the cap...

Starting Roster:
C-Yadier Molina - 15
C-Yan Gomes - 1
1b-Paul Goldschmidt - 19
CI-David Ortiz - 7
2b-Omar Infante - 1
MI-Jean Segura - 5
SS-Troy Tulowitzki - 24
3b-Miguel Cabrera - 32
INF-Alexei Ramirez - 5
OF-Ben Revere - 6
OF-Michael Bourn - 1
OF-Jay Bruce - 20
OF-Starling Marte - 3
UTL-Chris Davis - 12
BENCH: Rajai Davis OF - 1
BENCH: Billy Hamilton OF - 7
BENCH: Didi Gregorious SS - 1
BENCH: Jedd Gyorko 2b/3b - 4
BENCH: James Loney 1b - 1[*]
BENCH: Yasmani Grandal C - 1

P - Brandon Kintzler - 1
P - Tyler Clippard - 3
P - Junichi Tazawa - 1
P - Michael Wacha - 1
SP - Anibal Sanchez - 10
SP - Jose Fernandez - 8
SP - Bud Norris - 1
RP Craig Kimbrel 12
RP Nate Jones 1
RP Jason Grilli 3
BENCH:
Jim Henderson - 2
Tim Hudson - 6
Ivan Nova - 4
Ricky Nolasco - 1
Ervin Santana - 5

Do you see my quandry? I have a fairly solid team with ok depth as is now, meaning I have 3 closers, 3 good MRP, solid position players on offense with at least one decent backup for all positions. But to get one good player I'd have to lose all my depth or make a crucial cut..what would you guys do in my shoes? I'm actually at a loss here.

First off, there is no way that the cut of Kershaw should be allowed to stand. What type of idiot cuts the best SP in the game and the reigning Cy Young in the NL because of a couple of bad spring training outtings?

That said, if the commish does not do the right thing and undo the cut, then you need to pick Kershaw up. I would cut Sanchez ($10), Revere ($6), Hudson ($6), Al. Ramirez ($5) as your starting point to make up $27 of the $35...you still need to clear $8. Sanchez just got a bit hurt and Kershaw is a massive upgrrade to him. Hudson is worthless these days. Al Ramirez can be replaced by Gyorko and Revere by B. Hamilton. Revere is one dimensional waiver wire fodder as it is so there is no loss there imo.

The remaining $8 can come from dealing Nova and E. Sanatana for a cheap starter in the worst case or by making some other deal in combo with getting rid of the $1 wastes of food fillers you have like Norris and Infante (assuming you do not have to fill all bench slots with $1 players of course). Even in the worst case you can always turn around and trade Kershaw so therei sno way I would pass on him.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions