Auction League Shocker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Auction League Shocker

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction League Shocker

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 am

I'm in a 10 Team Mixed Auction 6x6 League (-W, -BA, + k/9, QS, Hold, OPS XBH)
I am currently five dollars under my salary limit, and also have first waiver priority due to contractual agreement to join league. Clayton Kershaw's impatient owner, fed up by his lousy Spring performance cut him and his $35 dollar salary to waivers. It is causing quite an uproar, three folks have demanded he be placed back on his original owner's roster, but a ruling is forthcoming. Two guys in the auction went belly up against each other to get him and he's the highest priced player in our player universe (Trout being just behind him at 33 and my Mcab at 32)

My deal is this, I have first priority and can claim him, but it would put me way over the limit and would thusly require the following two things to happen:

A) Player(s) would have to be cut from my roster to keep from being deliquent. Once the transaction is completed, I have three days to get into compliance or I could face a loss of a keeper slot for next season for every day I'm not compliant.

B) I like to save five dollars in most auction leagues I do to pick up breakout performers or replacements due to extreme injuries.

Here's my team currently:
My offense is fantastic, but my pitching lacks a second ace, which I could use, but the problem is getting under the cap...

Starting Roster:
C-Yadier Molina - 15
C-Yan Gomes - 1
1b-Paul Goldschmidt - 19
CI-David Ortiz - 7
2b-Omar Infante - 1
MI-Jean Segura - 5
SS-Troy Tulowitzki - 24
3b-Miguel Cabrera - 32
INF-Alexei Ramirez - 5
OF-Ben Revere - 6
OF-Michael Bourn - 1
OF-Jay Bruce - 20
OF-Starling Marte - 3
UTL-Chris Davis - 12
BENCH: Rajai Davis OF - 1
BENCH: Billy Hamilton OF - 7
BENCH: Didi Gregorious SS - 1
BENCH: Jedd Gyorko 2b/3b - 4
BENCH: James Loney 1b - 1[*]
BENCH: Yasmani Grandal C - 1

P - Brandon Kintzler - 1
P - Tyler Clippard - 3
P - Junichi Tazawa - 1
P - Michael Wacha - 1
SP - Anibal Sanchez - 10
SP - Jose Fernandez - 8
SP - Bud Norris - 1
RP Craig Kimbrel 12
RP Nate Jones 1
RP Jason Grilli 3
BENCH:
Jim Henderson - 2
Tim Hudson - 6
Ivan Nova - 4
Ricky Nolasco - 1
Ervin Santana - 5

Do you see my quandry? I have a fairly solid team with ok depth as is now, meaning I have 3 closers, 3 good MRP, solid position players on offense with at least one decent backup for all positions. But to get one good player I'd have to lose all my depth or make a crucial cut..what would you guys do in my shoes? I'm actually at a loss here.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1948)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction League Shocker

Postby toledomudhens » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 am

Kershaw should be put back on original roster, if this guy is going to be a clown then lock his roster and kick him out...
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 200)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:22 am

I'll be honest I don't see a combo players that you could move that would give you enough $ to make the deal and be better than you are now.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)

Postby Modock » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:31 am

You have to try and make it work if you can.

It would have to involved getting rid of Molina - and rolling the dice with Grandal.

Anibal Sanchez & Molina would work - but would hurt your pitching depth. Hmm - tough one.
Modock
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:53 am

Modock wrote:You have to try and make it work if you can.

It would have to involved getting rid of Molina - and rolling the dice with Grandal.

Anibal Sanchez & Molina would work - but would hurt your pitching depth. Hmm - tough one.

Ya I looked at that wouldn't mind moving Molina but I came to the conclusion that a $10 Anibal was worth more than a $35 Kershaw and I think he'd also have to include someone like a $6 Hudson to complete the deal.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)

Postby skmo2345 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:25 pm

ayebatter wrote:I'll be honest I don't see a combo players that you could move that would give you enough $ to make the deal and be better than you are now.

;-D
skmo2345
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Postby skmo2345 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:28 pm

ayebatter wrote:I'll be honest I don't see a combo players that you could move that would give you enough $ to make the deal and be better than you are now.

;-D
skmo2345
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Postby sn267537 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:04 pm

Hey MadDog. This is a tough one to answer.

a) Kershaw could/should be added back to the roster.... However, this could be a strategy move like they do in football.... Great Players are cut all the time due to their salary and the teams salary cap situation. So even though it is Kershaw, is he really worth taking up 35 of an owners salary cap, and like u said he's the most expensive. So there is argument to justify not to have him added back to the roster. But then again this is baseball not football

b) I don't have much experience with auction or salary cap leagues. So not sure how valuable this response will be:

Molina at 15
Hudson at 6
Ramirez at 5
Nova at 4

And this is where I got stopped... Where to get the extra 5? Santana?... But you're already having to cut a lot of depth here, so maybe use the 5 left over from your pocket? And work around getting some cap room during the season some how? Otherwise, a big piece like Tulo might need to be traded as another possibly solution to open up room, but either way it's tough call to add Kershaw.
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Ok I was just offered Gerrit Cole 2 and JJ Hardy 6 for my Tulo should I take it?
This would free up 16 bucks...

I should mention I do have a free spot on my roster because of a player on the DL (doesn't count against my salary cap)...

I'll put a claim in for him and see if I can get something worked out, what do you think of the trade? I would free up about half of what I need.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1948)

Postby sn267537 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:23 pm

MadDog36 wrote:Ok I was just offered Gerrit Cole 2 and JJ Hardy 6 for my Tulo should I take it?
This would free up 16 bucks...

I should mention I do have a free spot on my roster because of a player on the DL (doesn't count against my salary cap)...

I'll put a claim in for him and see if I can get something worked out, what do you think of the trade? I would free up about half of what I need.

I don't think it's a terrible trade. Some HR from hardy at SS, AND cole at 2 is a possible "2nd ace" like you wanted to address, plus you're that much closer to adding Kershaw, which could make cole your 3rd SP. So basically it can look like this potentially (if I organize it right):

Tulo, Hudson, Molina for hardy, cole and Kershaw. If those are the players you cut for salary and do the Tulo deal
sn267537
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions