Make a Move or Sit Tight? What's your style? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Make a Move or Sit Tight? What's your style?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ReverseTheCurse » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:57 pm

Perfect example would be Bernie Williams. There were very low expectations before the season and he fell very low in most drafts. Now say someone gets hot the first week so you drop Bernie. Then you find out a month later that Bernie is healthy and back to his old self and the flash in the pan you just picked up is just that, a flash in the pan. My strategy is to pick people with huge upsides in the last few rounds such as, Bernie, S. Stewart, Griffey, Burrell etc. and then if any of them are still hot after a month you can get mid to top round value for them in trade. If they don't look like they are gonna break out then drop them for who ever is hot. Just my 2 cents.
ReverseTheCurse

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:34 pm

i like to make pre-season and early season trades too, but for some reason all the guys in my league like to sit tight early on and wanna "see how the season shapes up". but i guess its just a difference in peeps playing style...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:40 pm

After the draft, I usually am not happy with my team and like to wheel. In my two $ leagues (quite a few overlapping players), I have struck the only two trades (one in each) in them.

Ramirez and Nen for Beltran
Thome and Isringhausen for Soriano and Kolb

You can say that that can be attributed to my teams' lack of speed. I gained a lot of speed in those deals. I get antsy, but I'm probably going to sit on what I have for now.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rlee » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:41 pm

I don't like to make changes just for the sake of change, but you have to trust your instincts when you see someone available on waivers. Most of us have some very late round picks that we're not completely sold on and feel are somewhat expendable. But if people like Burrell and Patterson are available, they can make a significant positive impact on any team. ;-7
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby ReverseTheCurse » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:25 pm

Perfect example would be Bernie Williams. There were very low expectations before the season and he fell very low in most drafts. Now say someone gets hot the first week so you drop Bernie. Then you find out a month later that Bernie is healthy and back to his old self and the flash in the pan you just picked up is just that, a flash in the pan. My strategy is to pick people with huge upsides in the last few rounds such as, Bernie, S. Stewart, Griffey, Burrell etc. and then if any of them are still hot after a month you can get mid to top round value for them in trade. If they don't look like they are gonna break out then drop them for who ever is hot. Just my 2 cents.
ReverseTheCurse

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers