Dynasty League Prospect Draft Results - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Dynasty League Prospect Draft Results

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty League Prospect Draft Results

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:45 pm

These are the prospect selections from our recent Dynasty Prospect Draft. All minor league prospects were available as long as they were not in the Yahoo database. Which team had the best draft? Worst? Safest? Most potential? Etc.

Team A: H. Owens (Bos - SP), J. Aguilar (Cle - 1B), J. Bonifacio (KC - OF)
Team B: B. Shipley (Ari - SP), T. Thompson (ChW - OF), D. Davis (Tor - OF)
Team C: R. Stanek (TB - SP), H. Renfroe (SD - OF), J. Berrios (Min - SP)
Team D: L. Brinson (Tex - OF), A. Reyes (Stl - SP, J. Bell (Pit - OF)
Team E: T. Lindsey (LAA - 2B), M. Nay (Tor - 3B), A. Walker (Min - OF)
Team F: R. McMahon (Col - 3B), A. Judge (NYY - OF), J. Campos (NYY - SP)
Team G: T. Ball (Bos - SP), T. Taylor (Mil - OF), C. Hawkins (ChW - OF)
Team H: L. Heredia (Pit - SP), A. Wilson (Sea - OF), D. Paulino (Cle - SS)
Team I: D. Santana (Hou - OF), A. Rosario (NYM - SS), L. Thorpe (Min - SP)
Team J: R. Tapia (Col - OF), Fr. Cordero (SD - SS), He. Ramirez (Pit - OF)
Team K: E. Jimenez (ChC - OF), R. Devers (Bos - 3B), D. Ward (Was - 3B)
Team L: D. Robertson (Oak - SS), C. Anderson (LAD - SP), R. Shaffer (TB - 3B)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty League Prospect Draft Results

Postby Irish Drunk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:34 pm

I'd be lying if I said I knew everyone of those prospects but the teams that stand out for me with the most potential are B, A and E. I"m kinda surprised Henry Owens wasn't in the yahoo database.
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 152)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Irish Drunk wrote:I'd be lying if I said I knew everyone of those prospects but the teams that stand out for me with the most potential are B, A and E. I"m kinda surprised Henry Owens wasn't in the yahoo database.

Yeah, I think he was and they took him off for some reason. It might of had something to do with there being a former-Marlins reliever by the name of Henry Owens as well.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Which team were you, Havok?

Personally, I think it's Team D and not close. When you're drafting names this deep, I almost certainly go all upside. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of high upside guys outside D (Owens, Tapia, Thorpe, etc.) but D is the only squad that has a potential star in each spot - yet it also has the highest risk considering age and other factors (Brinson's K rate, Reyes' command, and one doesn't even need to explain Josh Bell). Players like Cody Anderson (Team L), whose best case scenario is a back of the rotation starter, would never find his way to a MiLB roster of mine.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby mac-unit » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Which team were you, Havok?

Personally, I think it's Team D and not close. When you're drafting names this deep, I almost certainly go all upside. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of high upside guys outside D (Owens, Tapia, Thorpe, etc.) but D is the only squad that has a potential star in each spot - yet it also has the highest risk considering age and other factors (Brinson's K rate, Reyes' command, and one doesn't even need to explain Josh Bell). Players like Cody Anderson (Team L), whose best case scenario is a back of the rotation starter, would never find his way to a MiLB roster of mine.

You don't think Domingo Santana is atleast on the same level as Brinson and Bell? I personally like him more than both of them.

Him along with Thorpe make Team I my favorite group. Not big on Rosario though. I also think McMahon and Judge from team F could make big strides this season.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 25)

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:57 pm

mac-unit wrote:You don't think Domingo Santana is atleast on the same level as Brinson and Bell? I personally like him more than both of them.

I don't. He has a very questionable hit tool, lots of Ks, and a terrible contact rate. Great raw power, but that is going to definitely come at the expense of batting average. He may hit 30 HRs, but I seriously wonder if he'd top .240 in his best MLB seasons.

Bell at least couples his power with the projection of ok contact (although last year didn't show it :-P). And Brinson is simply more toolsy - a potential 25-25+ player in the bigs (but also like the other two, a lot of swing and miss in his game).

But that's just my opinion. ;-D
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Which team were you, Havok?

Very astute of you. I am in fact Team D. I chose Brinson because I believe he had the best fantasy tools of anyone eligible. Also, I selected Reyes because there weren't many projectable arms left and I think if all goes well he could be a ace but that remains to be seen. Bell, if he hadn't gotten hurt, is a high upside pick that could prove to be a smart buy in 2014. I also recently traded for Drew Ward from Team K as I believe he fell to the 3rd RD because he surprised everyone by skipping his senior year in school as many were talking about him being the top overall pick in 2014.

BTW: Team L is Chris Anderson drafted in the 1st RD in 2013 from Jacksonville University.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Very astute of you. I am in fact Team D. I chose Brinson because I believe he had the best fantasy tools of anyone eligible. Also, I selected Reyes because there weren't many projectable arms left and I think if all goes well he could be a ace but that remains to be seen. Bell, if he hadn't gotten hurt, is a high upside pick that could prove to be a smart buy in 2014. I also recently traded for Drew Ward from Team K as I believe he fell to the 3rd RD because he surprised everyone by skipping his senior year in school as many were talking about him being the top overall pick in 2014.

I agree with all of that. Those are all guys I like a lot. I just passed up Brinson in our Cafe dynasty league as my last pick. I love his tools, but that K rate is immense (38%!). I'm really worried that he may have a real tough time making it out of the higher levels in the minors. But he's someone I'm rooting for. In his place, I went with Ryan McMahon.

You and I tend to have similar prospect evaluation approaches from what I've seen you post in the past. In that Cafe dynasty, 200+ prospects are carried over year-to-year and we have a 5 round prospect draft before each season. My 5 picks were Julio Urias, Raimel Tapia, Alexander Reyes, Mitch Nay, and Ryan McMahon. I would guess several are ones you'd also endorse, correct? B-)
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Very astute of you. I am in fact Team D. I chose Brinson because I believe he had the best fantasy tools of anyone eligible. Also, I selected Reyes because there weren't many projectable arms left and I think if all goes well he could be a ace but that remains to be seen. Bell, if he hadn't gotten hurt, is a high upside pick that could prove to be a smart buy in 2014. I also recently traded for Drew Ward from Team K as I believe he fell to the 3rd RD because he surprised everyone by skipping his senior year in school as many were talking about him being the top overall pick in 2014.

I agree with all of that. Those are all guys I like a lot. I just passed up Brinson in our Cafe dynasty league as my last pick. I love his tools, but that K rate is immense (38%!). I'm really worried that he may have a real tough time making it out of the higher levels in the minors. But he's someone I'm rooting for. In his place, I went with Ryan McMahon.

You and I tend to have similar prospect evaluation approaches from what I've seen you post in the past. In that Cafe dynasty, 200+ prospects are carried over year-to-year and we have a 5 round prospect draft before each season. My 5 picks were Julio Urias, Raimel Tapia, Alexander Reyes, Mitch Nay, and Ryan McMahon. I would guess several are ones you'd also endorse, correct? B-)

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Nay, Reyes, and Tapia. Urias is very talented but his small stature might be a red flag as he puts more innings on his arm. Also, I worry about McMahon being somewhat blocked by an already young Arenado.

Some other guys I really with big tools but maybe a few warts...

J. Beras (Tex - OF)
N. Mazara (Tex - OF)
A. Altheer (Phi - OF)
M. Zapata (ChW - OF)
Y. Rodriguez (Cin - OF)
V. Reyes (Atl - OF)
J. Hernandez (Phi - 3B)
E. Salcedo (Atl - 3B)
J. Williams (Ari - 3B,OF)
T. Hensley (NYY - SP)
M. Ynoa (Oak - SP)
T. Jenkins (Stl - SP)
C. Reed (LAD - SP)
C. Kelly (Stl - C)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby I Stumped the Schwab » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Irish Drunk wrote:I'd be lying if I said I knew everyone of those prospects but the teams that stand out for me with the most potential are B, A and E. I"m kinda surprised Henry Owens wasn't in the yahoo database.

Yeah, I think he was and they took him off for some reason. It might of had something to do with there being a former-Marlins reliever by the name of Henry Owens as well.

Go figure the new Owens still isn't in the ESPN database but old one still is
I Stumped the Schwab
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 39)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball