When to draft pitching? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

When to draft pitching? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When to draft pitching? WHIR

Postby zyzzbrah34 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm

I have the number one pick and am planning on drafting Trout. However, in which rounds after that should I be drafting pitchers?

Here is my draft order for the first 13 rounds: 1, 18, 19, 36, 37, 54, 55, 72, 73, 90, 91, 108, 109

I am in a 9 person roto, non-keeper league. Thank you in advance.
zyzzbrah34
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When to draft pitching? WHIR

Postby mackster248 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 pm

It depends on what strategy you like to do. Personally, I would go batter on my first two picks then take a top pitcher for my 3rd. After that, I won't take another pitcher till the teens or 10th at earlier if there's someone I like up on the board. Pitching this season is sooooo deep so I think you can even get away with not drafting a pitcher until 9th or 10th round.

viewtopic.php?t=467838
mackster248
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 10)

Postby goose in my step » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:47 pm

I wouldn't take a pitcher with my first 4 picks. I might go for Bumgarner or Sale in the 4th...but thats as early as I would take a pitcher.

I'm waiting to take either Cain or Shields as my ace. And they go around round 7
You can stock up on hitting early and always trade for an ace. Bats are more valuable than arms.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=467844
goose in my step
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 75)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby blexann » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:02 pm

9 teams? I would not draft a pitcher until maybe the 5th round and if you notice the league is hitter heavy you can even wait longer.
blexann
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 40)

Postby CubsFan4Life23 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:13 am

goose in my step wrote:I wouldn't take a pitcher with my first 4 picks. I might go for Bumgarner or Sale in the 4th...but thats as early as I would take a pitcher.

I'm waiting to take either Cain or Shields as my ace. And they go around round 7
You can stock up on hitting early and always trade for an ace. Bats are more valuable than arms.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=467844

I think this is the best way to go. Pitchers are so plentiful to begin with, and as I have learned and the cafe has spoken many times. Bats over arms most of the time (exceptions do apply Kershaw). I think with picks 36 and 37, you should easily be able to get solid quality arms, not to mention those you can grab a lot later in the draft. And then there are those pitchers who come out of nowhere and becomes the studs of 2014. I'd go Trout, then target two of the following (Pedy, Kipnis, Freeman, Votto, Bruce or Wright/Longoria).
CubsFan4Life23
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 159)

Postby brooklynborn82 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:18 am

Bats over arms. I'm in a 12 team 5x5 OPS keeper league, so the talent pool is a little smaller and power is at premium. You can find great value in the late rounds. One of the other teams drafted Anibal Sanchez in the 20th rd last year and he provided great value with 202 ks. A lot of pitchers have bad years and drop in value, only to to be picked late and rebound. I say go bats for the first 4 picks and if you really feel like you need an "Ace", grab Bumgarner or Cliff Lee in the 5th. Tons of pitching on the market.

Thanks for help on mine btw.
brooklynborn82
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 30)

Postby zyzzbrah34 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks all. Does this look about right?

Rounds 1-4: Batting
Round 5 (first pick of round #5): One pitcher (I am guessing the best available will be Strasburg/Price/Sale/Bumgarner and maybe Scherzer but less likely)
Round 6: Batter
Round 7 (first pick of round #7): Matt Cain, if available (ESPN has him as a mid 8th rounder but if I don't get him with my 7th pick, I think he will be taken before I get to pick again)
Rounds 8-10: Batting
Rounds 11-15: One pitcher
Rounds 16-20: One pitcher

The draft is 25 rounds, and there is a 200 innings limit.

I also was hoping to grab now-healthier Pujols but ESPN has him as #51 which means I would likely need to take him with my 4th or 5th round picks at #36/#37 which is a gamble.
zyzzbrah34
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 62)

Postby mackster248 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:01 pm

zyzzbrah34 wrote:Thanks all. Does this look about right?

Rounds 1-4: Batting
Round 5 (first pick of round #5): One pitcher (I am guessing the best available will be Strasburg/Price/Sale/Bumgarner and maybe Scherzer but less likely)
Round 6: Batter
Round 7 (first pick of round #7): Matt Cain, if available (ESPN has him as a mid 8th rounder but if I don't get him with my 7th pick, I think he will be taken before I get to pick again)
Rounds 8-10: Batting
Rounds 11-15: One pitcher
Rounds 16-20: One pitcher

The draft is 25 rounds, and there is a 200 innings limit.

I also was hoping to grab now-healthier Pujols but ESPN has him as #51 which means I would likely need to take him with my 4th or 5th round picks at #36/#37 which is a gamble.

Looks good to me. Looks similar to what I did actually. I took 3 batters then went for Max Scherzer in the 4th, then took Cain and Latos in the 8th and 9th round. I wasn't planning on getting Pujols but he dropped to the 65th pick (round 6) since no one in my league was particularly high on him (incl. me).

Also, for later rounds consider looking into Danny Salazar, Sonny Gray, Andrew Cashner, Teheran, Alex Wood, Alex Cobb (I'm really high on this kid). Just come names on who I think are bargains on their current ADP, for what it's worth. Also, keep in mind that pitchers always seem to surprise people every year. Last year there was Harvey, Cole, Wacha, etc just to name a few. So don't worry if your pitching looks bad on paper. You can always stream or pick someone up. Good luck!
mackster248
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 10)

Postby shmity72 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:55 am

if you get scherzer in the 5th....you'll win. i'm targeting him round 2 late. ;-D
matchups
shmity72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions