Need some Expertise - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need some Expertise

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need some Expertise

Postby CoachCory » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:54 am

I would like to start a new league and would like to avoid some pitfalls along the way by getting some feedback before getting started.

First off I am mainly a NL type of guy, so what size league is best as far as teams and roster size for a NL only set up.

I really want to do this league year round as a Roto Ultra format, with all the bells and whistles.

Auction - which is the biggest drawback at this point, I love the idea of the auction and salary cap and want to use FAAB and contracts but getting 10-12 owners together at this time to do a full roster auction seems daunting. We are currently doing a slow draft in another league but without salaries, anyone have any variations or ideas on less painful ways to fill rosters in that initial season?

Minors- with me leaning to NL only what problems do you see and what league hosting services accommodate a MILB roster?

Fees- the $ amount will probably be small as I plan to be very picky on who I get involved. I am thinking of a intial deposit and then small transaction fees to build payout over the season, any ideas or examples you may have would be appreciated.

Hosting - really never liked Yahoo, using ESPN now, and have done football on CBS for years. What services are the most flexible and easy to use as a commissioner of a complex league like I am looking at?

Contracts - any and all suggestions/variations are appreciated!

Constitutions on similar types of leagues would be a big help!

Thanks in advance for the input and PM for my email if you would like my email for private discussions. Also if this league is of interest to you and you would like to help out as a commish or simply be a member let me know.
CoachCory
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need some Expertise

Postby bigmck » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:21 pm

I would like to start a new league and would like to avoid some pitfalls along the way by getting some feedback before getting started.

First off I am mainly a NL type of guy, so what size league is best as far as teams and roster size for a NL only set up.

I was in an 11 team NL only for a few years. That makes things really hard. There are guys on your team that play once a week. I would not make it more than 10.

I really want to do this league year round as a Roto Ultra format, with all the bells and whistles.

Auction - which is the biggest drawback at this point, I love the idea of the auction and salary cap and want to use FAAB and contracts but getting 10-12 owners together at this time to do a full roster auction seems daunting. We are currently doing a slow draft in another league but without salaries, anyone have any variations or ideas on less painful ways to fill rosters in that initial season?

CBS is really the only league that has everything for an Auction League. It is a pay site of about $160 a year per league. Divided up is not too bad. If you want a free site, you would have to keep the salary and contract years on a spreadsheet yourself. That is not much fun.

Minors- with me leaning to NL only what problems do you see and what league hosting services accommodate a MILB roster?

As I said, only CBS.

Fees- the $ amount will probably be small as I plan to be very picky on who I get involved. I am thinking of a intial deposit and then small transaction fees to build payout over the season, any ideas or examples you may have would be appreciated.

I was in a league one time that had the transaction fees. It is hard to get everyone to pay when the year is up. I prefer just one amount that must be paid before the draft.

Hosting - really never liked Yahoo, using ESPN now, and have done football on CBS for years. What services are the most flexible and easy to use as a commissioner of a complex league like I am looking at?

Contracts - any and all suggestions/variations are appreciated!

What we did in my league was use the Auction Salary for the first two years, it would increase by five the third year and ten the fourth year and every one there after. This stops anyone from keeping a player forever because the salary gets too high. It puts good players in the draft every year. When picking up players in mid-season, the FAAB winning amount becomes their salary.

Constitutions on similar types of leagues would be a big help!

Thanks in advance for the input and PM for my email if you would like my email for private discussions. Also if this league is of interest to you and you would like to help out as a commish or simply be a member let me know.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby MoHead » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:51 pm

The telling thing in your post is "getting 10-12 owners together at this time to do a full roster auction seems daunting." If you don't already know those 10-12 guys from other similar leagues (i.e. you're bringing in more than a couple green owners), you're probably going to struggle to get such a thing off the ground.

I'd say try to launch it in stages:
Year 1 - A straight draft, simple rules.
Year 2 - Find a fair way to assign salaries and allow a hand full of keepers.
Year 3 - Bring in the auction and expand your keeper rules.
Year 4 and beyond - start slowly adding all of the bells and whistles.

As bigmck said, CBS is probably the only website that will run a league of this depth without a ton on manual labor.
Last edited by MoHead on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoHead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby CoachCory » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks for the input gentlemen!
CoachCory
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 12)