2014 Auction Darft Analysis! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Leftovers League

2014 Auction Darft Analysis!

Moderator: rotoquest

2014 Auction Darft Analysis!

Postby RedBullVodka » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:35 am

Let's have a go at these questions, but perhaps start by posting your roster and what you paid...

1) Did you have a strategy as you entered the draft? If so, were you able to execute it? if not, what strategy did you ultimately employ?

2) Which players were you most excited to acquire?

3) What are the strengths and weaknesses of your team?

4) If the draft started over, what would you do differently?

5) Did you try and bid on anyone just simply to get the price up? And did that work?

6) Who were the standout over-priced players and under-priced players in the draft?

7) Who is going to be in the top 3?

8) Whose roster would you most like to own?

9) How likely is it you will ever do another auction?

10) Any other comments?
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2014 Auction Darft Analysis!

Postby rotoquest » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:54 am

Ok, let me break the ice and give this a try.

1) Did you have a strategy as you entered the draft? If so, were you able to execute it? if not, what strategy did you ultimately employ?
I had no strategy entering the draft as this was my first auction draft. I also did not know to uncheck the “make your max bid your real bid” box. These contributed to my early frustrations. After that I developed a plan to send out my own nominations which were highly hyped players that I did not want. I wanted you guys to tie up your money on them while I made private high bids on players I wanted and hoped you guys wouldn’t jack up the bid on me. For the most part it worked.

I was happy to get fielder and Pujols again, but I think getting Rios to anchor the outfield calmed some anxiety. :-°

I really like my pitching, and I think I have sufficient hitting. Weakness as always is healthy players to max at bats.

I would have relaxed more in the beginning. It was almost 48 hours before I was able to attain a player which caused some undo stress.

5) Did you try and bid on anyone just simply to get the price up? And did that work?
One time, and I almost got caught, so I did not do it again.

6) Who were the standout over-priced players and under-priced players in the draft?
I don’t know…I really did not pay close enough attention…I was doing everything I could to keep my head above water.

It’s hard to tell, I like a lot of the teams. The talent pool seems to be spread around well. I guess the rosters that stay the healthiest.

Again, it’s hard to tell, I like a lot of the teams but I guess I have to stand by my team if my players stay healthy.

I’m a big believer in experiencing as much as you can before taking up the rocking chair, but outside this group I would not go out of my way to join an auction league.

10) Any other comments?
Thanks for putting this together RBV. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would... right after the near nervous breakdown. :-o
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby chris8 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:03 am

The Wright Stuff
Budget $260
1. (10) Hanley Ramírez (LAD - SS) $31
2. (22) Paul Goldschmidt (Ari - 1B) $39
3. (34) Robinson Canó (Sea - 2B) $33
4. (46) José Bautista (Tor - OF) $29
5. (58) Brian McCann (NYY - C) $6
6. (70) Matt Holliday (StL - OF) $23
7. (82) Madison Bumgarner (SF - SP) $20
8. (94) Trevor Rosenthal (StL - RP) $13
9. (106) Jonathan Papelbon (Phi - RP) $10
10. (118) Mat Latos (Cin - SP) $17
11. (130) CC Sabathia (NYY - SP) $5
12. (142) Christian Yelich (Mia - OF) $4
13. (154) Dexter Fowler (Hou - OF) $4
14. (166) Matt Wieters (Bal - C) $2
15. (178) Peter Bourjos (StL - OF) $1
16. (190) Alcides Escobar (KC - SS) $1
17. (202) Luke Gregerson (Oak - RP) $1
18. (214) Jon Singleton (Hou - 1B) $1
19. (226) A.J. Griffin (Oak - SP) $2
20. (238) Dillon Gee (NYM - SP) $1
21. (250) Joakim Soria (Tex - RP) $4
22. (262) Martín Pérez (Tex - SP) $2
23. (274) Colby Rasmus (Tor - OF) $3
24. (286) Erick Aybar (LAA - SS) $3
25. (298) Chris Johnson (Atl - 1B,3B) $3
26. (310) Mitch Moreland (Tex - 1B) $1
27. (322) Ty Wigginton (Mia - CI) $1
Unused $0

Two strategies: 1) Don't spend too much too quickly. 2) Keep some money back at the end in order to get $2 players. Failed miserably - see answer 5 for the reason.

Well, it's great to have three "1st-rounders" in Goldschmidt, Hanley & Cano. Having two top-10 catchers for a total of $8 is also nice.

Real danger of being a "stars and scrubs" team. 3B is a glaring hole - I had several lower-end targets which I kept being outbid on. CI is a weakness too. On the plus side, I am more than happy with my 6-man rotation.

See question 5.

Absolutely, several times. Goldschmidt, Hanley & Cano were all guys I bid on who were underpriced at the time, according to my values. Happy to get them at below value, but it really affected the rest of my draft.

I think there were a lot of under-priced players in the draft. A few stand-outs for me are Myers ($19), Reyes ($18), Andrus ($11), Shields ($11), Gyorko ($9). For me Kershaw is way overpriced at $33 - I know he is the #1 pitcher, but I would never pay over $30 for any pitcher, no matter how elite they are. I suspect there is some regret too over the $16 price-tag for Cole Hamels, with the news coming out of Philly.

Cop-out, I know, but it is too difficult to say at this point.

Mine, of course! Although RBV has a lot of players on it that I like this year.

Definitely - love them!

10) Any other comments?
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 107)

Postby GoldRush » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:20 pm

I didn't enter with much of a strategy. Tougher to project out the players and where you can get them. There's temptations to bid on 7 or more guys at once and not knowing if you'll get them all or get none of them! It was interesting and fun to say the least.

Bryce Harper. I really love the guys upside, and he's entering 2014 with a much bulkier frame. Packed on tons of muscle to an already powerful swing. I bid high to get him, but I'm loving the potential he has. Puig I have right behind him. The type of numbers he can put up over a full season have a ridiculous ceiling....but consistency and not falling into extended slumps is key. That was about as high as I was willing to bid on him so I'm happy with what I got for what I spent!

First thing that obviously jumps out at my team is the ridiculous pitching. I loved the value of all 3 guys and thought for SURE that I would have been outbid on at least 2, if not all 3. Alas, my team had to go in a much different direction than anticipated, and I for sure am hurting in the hitting department. I have some quality bats for sure, but in a much deeper league I can see my offense struggling quite a bit. Set myself up to HAVE to make a good deal to be competitive, which is of course not ideal.

Been a little more patient! I jumped at every price that looked good at first glance, and I thought I would have been outbid more early on and that was not the case. Adapt and overcome.

Not necessarily. I did bid on guys who I liked at a certain price and expecting to be outbid, and that ended up hurting me.

I'm gonna throw my guy out there for overpriced, Bryce Harper. Potentially could be a great price, but also potential to be a terrible price. Other notable guys: Rizzo for $18, Jose Abreu for $21. For underpriced I'd probably go with Carlos Gomez for $26, if he can put up similar numbers to last year that's going to be the best value pick in my eyes. Gerrit Cole for $12 also seems like a great price with the possibility of entering the elite category of fantasy pitchers.

Obviously hard to tell...But at first glance RBV, Rotoquest, and NikkiSixx have the most balanced rosters. Cords and The Wright Stuff have tons of offense, but lack the proven pitching to crack my top 3.

RBV. Lots of guys I'm high on this year. Trout, Votto, Beltre, Bruce is a very very solid core group with a bunch of upside players around them. And the pitching is oozing with talent. Only concern is that those group of pitchers still have a lot to prove, but can't complain with the value.

I personally prefer auctions. Slow auctions are definitely very interesting. I'd like another crack at one being that I screwed up big to start! Should be a fun season though :)

10) Any other comments?

Good luck to everyone this year!
GoldRush
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 5)

Postby RedBullVodka » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:17 pm

RedBullVodka wrote:Let's have a go at these questions, but perhaps start by posting your roster and what you paid...

RBV
Budget $260
1. (1) Mike Trout (LAA - OF) $49
2. (13) Joey Votto (Cin - 1B) $35
3. (25) Adrián Béltre (Tex - 3B) $30
4. (37) Jay Bruce (Cin - OF) $25
5. (49) Koji Uehara (Bos - RP) $12
6. (61) Greg Holland (KC - RP) $17
7. (73) Jedd Gyorko (SD - 2B,3B) $9
8. (85) Alex Cobb (TB - SP) $10
9. (97) Gerrit Cole (Pit - SP) $12
10. (109) Michael Bourn (Cle - OF) $3
11. (121) Jason Castro (Hou - C) $2
12. (133) Nolan Arenado (Col - 3B) $9
13. (145) Chris Archer (TB - SP) $5
14. (157) Kole Calhoun (LAA - OF) $6
15. (169) Brad Miller (Sea - 2B,SS) $10
16. (181) Jonathan Villar (Hou - SS) $5
17. (193) Michael Brantley (Cle - OF) $3
18. (205) Avisail García (CWS - OF) $2
19. (217) Hiroki Kuroda (NYY - SP) $4
20. (229) Bartolo Colón (NYM - SP) $1
21. (241) Rick Porcello (Det - SP) $4
22. (253) Mark Melancon (Pit - RP) $1
23. (265) Ryan Howard (Phi - 1B) $2
24. (277) Javier Báez (ChC - SS) $1
25. (289) Carlos Martínez (StL - RP) $1
26. (301) Ubaldo Jiménez (Bal - SP) $1
27. (313) Michael Pineda (NYY - SP) $1

It all started quite quickly, so I didn't really have a fully formed strategy to begin with. I wanted to get a 1st round player, but also wanted to keep some money back for the bargains that normally start appearing mid-way through an auction. But then I got completely carried away. I was OK with Trout - after all he is the consensus number one pick. And I seem to have a love affair with Votto, but in hindsight, I think overpaid for him a little. I was happy to get Bruce, and then thought Beltre was a bargain at $29, so tried to bid him up, and ended up with him. A bit like Chris8, this then had a real impact on the rest of my draft, despite it being a solid core. At that point I started doing some calculations about how much to put in other positions, and tried to put some targets down who I thought I could get at those prices. Some I did, some I had to pay more for, some I had t give up on (Teheran / Minor).

Trout, obviously. I have had him in a keeper league that folded this year, so unless I get lucky with a number 1 pick in my two remaining drafts, this will be the only league I own him in. I'm also excited to have Gerrit Cole, Alex Cobb and Greg Holland as my pitching stars. But scared in some ways Cole and Cobb are my numbers 1 & 2 - would have really liked Teheran, or Salazar, or Minor as a third decent option.

According to Razzball, I'm pretty strong in pitching, but this is more to do with quantity (I'm well over the 1350 inns limit) than overall strength. In contrast, my hitting, especially runs, HR, RBIs looks a little light again by Razzball, but again I drafted less hitters than most, so perhaps it will balance out. I'm definitely more confident in my hitting than pitching.

Almost certainly not bid on Beltre, and maybe not be quite so aggressive on Votto early on so I could have been a bit more aggressive later on, and spent a little more on starting pitching.

Learn not to use my iPhone when I could bid on someone - got Colon because I inadvertently nominated him.

Yes, Beltre. And then on Wilson Rosario, which worked to the extent I pushed Roto up to $2 more dollars, but then I had to give up as I couldn't afford to spend $10 on a catcher. After that I really only bidded on players I wanted.

Like others I think Jose Abreu at $21 is a bit high. Some of the unders I like are my Cobb at $10, Cole at $12 and Gyorko at $9. I think the top catchers are all bargains for what they went for too. Axford for a $1 was sneaky and nice for Shockers!

Hopefully me; Razzball has me, IPAdogs and Tamworth in the top 3, but this is on whole squad strength, so when the inns limit and maximising at bats is figured in, it might be completely different. The one auction I did last year I won by 0.5 point, with the third guy just a further 0.5 point behind. I reckon this one could be equally close (well, maybe not that close, but close!)

Since Trout and Votto are on my squad - mine!

Yes, definitely. This was good fun, but frustrating in equal measure. I prefer live auctions, as you only bid on one player at a time, and I found sometimes I would let a player go I really liked (Salazar, for example) as at the time I was in position to get another similar type (Teheran, Minor), but ended up getting neither after getting outbid. In a live auction you can manage that situation a little easier.

10) Any other comments?

If we did this again, i think I would suggest we did the auction for the starting players, and then have a 6 round reserve snake draft like in the expert leagues. I would also want to start a little earlier and have less players nominated at the same time, if possible. It might take longer, but I think that would help guard against the above point. In the end we got this done in little over a week, so it is not like it took forever...

Thanks to everyone for keeping with it - and good luck for the season in all your leagues!

2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 45)

Postby oscar15 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:49 am

C $2 Evan Gattis C/OF-ATL
1B $49 Miguel Cabrera 3B/1B-DET
2B $20 Ian Kinsler 2B-DET
SS $1 Jhonny Peralta SS-STL
3B $15 Pedro Alvarez 3B-PIT
MI $14 Martin Prado 3B/2B/OF-AZ
CI $10 Michael Cuddyer OF/1B-COL
OF $5 Norichika Aoki OF-KC
OF $32 Adam Jones OF-BAL
OF $15 Alex Gordon OF-KC
OF $4 Kelly Johnson 3B/2B/OF-NYY
OF $5 Nick Swisher 1B/OF-CLE
DH $7 Mike Napoli 1B-BOS
SP $15 Jordan Zimmermann SP-WSH
SP $24 Max Scherzer SP-DET
SP $5 A.J. Burnett SP-PHI
RP $8 Steve Cishek RP-MIA
RP $7 Tommy Hunter RP-BAL
P $6 Tim Lincecum SP-SF
P $1 C.J. Wilson SP-LAA
P $2 Chris Tillman SP-BAL
B $1 Denard Span OF-WSH
B $2 Jesse Crain RP-HOU
B $2 Chad Qualls RP-HOU
B $6 Josh Reddick OF-OAK
B $1 Derek Jeter SS-NYY
B $1 Wei-Yin Chen SP-BAL

Let's have a go at these questions, but perhaps start by posting your roster and what you paid...

1) Did you have a strategy as you entered the draft? If so, were you able to execute it? if not, what strategy did you ultimately employ? I did not anticipate participating in an auction this year so I did not have a strategy in place. I attempted to follow the lead of experienced

2) Which players were you most excited to acquire? Miguel Cabrera. I have not had much luck in getting a top pick in snack drafts in recent years so it is nice to have one.

3) What are the strengths and weaknesses of your team? My money league is an 18 teamer so all the teams look strong, including my own. I'm just glad I don't have Medlen...like I do in my money league. :-{

4) If the draft started over, what would you do differently? I was placing bid early on just to get a feel for the system. I ended up with a couple of players I'm not crazy about which shouldn't happen in an auction. I wish I would have went a few dollars more on the second tier of RPs. Ended up overpaying just to make sure I had a closer.

5) Did you try and bid on anyone just simply to get the price up? And did that work? Not a strategy I prefer to use. I do nominate players I don't necessary want and hope others will bid them up.

6) Who were the standout over-priced players and under-priced players in the draft? I'm surprised no one is naming Kinsler as over-priced. He will have to reach his ceiling to justify a $20 bid. As with the few auctions I have experience in football, players that are nominated later, at deep positions, are under-priced; notably SPs and OFs

7) Who is going to be in the top 3? I honestly have no idea

8) Whose roster would you most like to own? mine

9) How likely is it you will ever do another auction? I'm not going to go out of my way, but if RBV keeps this league together I will give it a go each year as long as I am welcome. The one drawback for me is that the second half of the auction was occurring at the same time as the slow draft for my money league.

10) Any other comments?
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Leftovers League