Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First time in a points league. Is this a viable strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First time in a points league. Is this a viable strategy?

Postby CyboNinja » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:35 pm

16 team mixed H2H points keeper league. First year of the league and my first experience in a points league. Basically I sold the farm and all my arms and went for the classic stars and scrubs. After several trades my bats are stacked with talent but my arms are very much not so. This can work in a points league right? I'm not going to be losing categories for having too many inferior arms each week. Just need to score the most points. High OBP guys like Votto and Mauer are studs in this league. BB == 1 pt, K == -.5 pts .

Here's my team..

C- Yadier Molina
1B- Chris Davis
2B- Matt Carpenter
3B- Evan Longoria
SS- Brad Miller
LF- Mike Trout
CF- Andrew McCutchen
RF- Michael Cuddyer
U- Jose Abreu
U- Matt Adams

B- Coco Crisp
B- Todd Frazier
B- Nelson Cruz

SP- CJ Wilson
SP- Ubaldo Jimenez
SP- Justin Masteron
SP- Hiroki Kuroda
SP- Wade Miley
SP- Dan Haren
RP- Grant Nalfour
RP- Tommy Hunter
RP- Joakim Soria

B- Rick Porcello
B- Mike Leake
B- Edwin Jackson
B- Kevin Correia
B- Matt Lindstrom
B- Darren O'Day

We got 10 minors slots too but I traded all my good ones away. I dealt Polanco, Springer, and Ventura for some of my better pieces.

So what do you guys think? Is this a team that could challenge for a title? Or am I going to need to balance it out by trading some pieces for arms? Again I've never done a points H2H before. Thanks for any help.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First time in a points league. Is this a viable strategy

Postby CyboNinja » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:37 pm

I feel its worth mentioning this is also a weekly league.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Izenhart » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:06 pm

I think you went the right route and drafted a killer squad. Guys who hit leadoff and don't K are usually gold (Crisp is nice, Aoki is another I love) One of my main leagues that went belly up this year I concentrated on guys like Mauer, Pujols, Aram etc. I think Carpenter was a top 5 player last year too.

On the pitching side I went for K per IP arms who go late like Burnett, Ubaldo, Minor etc. Closers aren't as important, I just kept enough around so I could reach my inning limit each week and had 1-2 pitching spots I would stream for 2 starts every week. Your team looks solid I think you should breeze into the playoffs with it.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:19 pm

In general, H2H Points Leagues are dominated by SP. Making it weekly only magnifies that, as 2-start SPs are King of the Land. Diamonds in the rough are SP who have RP eligibility, allowing you to get even more starts in, including the ultimate diamond -- the 2-start SP with RP eligibility. The full scoring system, of course, could be different, but this is typically what I have seen in Weekly H2H Points Leagues that don't take specific precautions to avoid such things.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby goods5119 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:35 pm

If you have no transaction limits, you can do weekly work on the wire to seek two-start pitchers who have good matchups, so I don't see a MAJOR issue there. It's a worthwhile strategy to try. You certainly don't have a tier one(or tier two, or tier three) starting pitcher, but Wilson, Masterson and Kuroda have been pretty good fantasy pitchers the last couple of years. I would have gone with some more boom/bust starting pitchers than blah guys like Miley, Jackson and Jimenez, but I don't know who else whas on the board when you took them.

Your offense is ridiculous. Not a believer in Miller, but you're set up really well everywhere else. That's an elite offense in a ten teamer, for a 16 team league? Insane.

Without looking at the rest of the teams in the league, I'd say you should be a legit title contender this year. Well done!

Please feel free to advise on mine
viewtopic.php?t=467512
goods5119
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 63)

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:07 am

I like the strategy overall and use a similar one in my 24 team dynasty. You should at least rack up plenty of wins (and go to the playoffs) since your team should be consistently good every week due to having a great hitting core. It's true that elite starting pitching dominates pts leagues (usually) but hose pitchers don't last as long at the top whereas hitters are typically fairly steady for 5+ yrs. The best part of the roster building was waiting on the closers. There is always a lot of turnover here so you can build this over a couple of years.

Not sure if you will win a title but it will be a competitive team.

Here's my offense in a 24 tm dynasty league as a comparison - it's weak in the MI but overall dominant.
McCann
Votto
Dozier
YEscobar
Sandoval
Cargo (the good one)
Stanton
Holliday
Cuddyer
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero