Story of the week - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Story of the week

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby fishingmn » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:51 am

It's nice to list all of those Western NBA teams (My Wolves, Lakers, Spurs, Kings) but in reality the Pistons (if they make it that far) will only have to beat one of them.

While that seems unlikely stranger things have happened.

Getting back to the main point of the thread - the Tigers - I think it's great for fans of baseball in Michigan to at least see some hope. While I think it's incredibly unlikely that the Tigers will win even half their games, I do think that it's exciting for fans just to see some steady improvement. They could win 70 games this year and it would be a very successful year.
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby canibus » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:35 am

Eminem put Detroit back on the map ;-D :-D

Tigers are picking up where he left off...
nice to see.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Gee perlick, way to rain on the parade. :-t Seeing your team in contention or improving is exciting. What's your problem with that? What the hell do you care if Detroit fans are celebrating? Such bitterness and anger ...

As a Pistons fan living in Sacramento, I'd love to see Detroit make it to the NBA finals. Depending on who they faced, the Pistons would have a real shot at winning that series. Adding Rasheed is huge, as it gives them a big man to counter the Western teams. And Rasheed gives the Kings fits. Matchup-wise, San Antonio would probably be the toughest team for the Pistons to face, followed by Minnesota (though I'd be shocked to see the Twolves run the table having never won a playoff series).

Trying to make predictions in the NHL playoffs is a total crapshoot. I'll just sit back and root for my Wings. As for inexperience in the net, isn't it the case this year that something like 6 or 7 playoff goalies have never started a playoff game before?

Lions? We have hope. And if it came down to either Mooch or Terrell Owens, I'd pick Mooch any day. Owens is a cancer.

As for the Tigers? 3-0! What a great way to start the season! Remember, in the AL Central .500 will have you contending. I'd be pretty surprised if the Tigers are able to be contenders this year, but you never know. They've got a much improved offense (I know, that's not saying much), and their young pitchers are all developing. Give them some confidence and they may be able to keep the Tigers in the game. And if the Tigers get a few free agent pieces in the off-season, well, watch out for next year. It'll be fun to watch this team develop. Enjoy the ride while you can!
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:11 pm

canibus wrote:Eminem put Detroit back on the map ;-D :-D

nice to see.

Nice to see the excitement back in Detroit baseball.

And, the Funk Brothers put Detroit on the map. ;~)

Rk

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:
canibus wrote:Eminem put Detroit back on the map ;-D :-D

nice to see.

Nice to see the excitement back in Detroit baseball.

And, the Funk Brothers put Detroit on the map. ;~)

Rk

The Funk Brothers put MoTown on the map. Detroit is where white people live - lol.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:24 pm

oh by the way the Wings happened to have the best record in the regular season despite numerous injuries to star players and are the odds on favorte to win the cup, so I really doubt there are 6 or so teams better than them in the playoff right now sir philly
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:29 pm

KolbSaves wrote:oh by the way the Wings happened to have the best record in the regular season despite numerous injuries to star players and are the odds on favorte to win the cup, so I really doubt there are 6 or so teams better than them in the playoff right now sir philly

in my completely unbiased opinion:

Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Calgary
Vancouver
and Edmonton (even though they didn't make the playoffs they are still better than Detroit)

Detroit is a distant 7th
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:24 pm

finally, a supporter! Thanks Mookie even though, Montreal and Edmonton are not choices I had up there. I foresee a Calgary Tampa Bay final with the Bolts winning the cup.

Apparently everyone thinks I am just grouchy eh!
Well, your right. I once got mugged in Detroit, so there ok.
But even still I dont have hatred for the city, I just live under the policy that if you get high with the highs, you will ultimately get low with the lows. Be careful to blow your emotions early on is all i'm saying although I stand by my statement that the wings are not drinking out of lord stanley's thermos this year.

Mark it down, and then spit fire at me when the Wings win, I'll be the first to apologize.(But it wont happen) I'm not a bad person! Really I'm not! Someone love me! hehe its all good.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Stand Pat » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:16 pm

hey, what's going on here? this post started as a tigers feel good story. now it's 4-0 baby! don't you just feel all warm and fuzzy inside? :-]
Stand Pat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:19 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:oh by the way the Wings happened to have the best record in the regular season despite numerous injuries to star players and are the odds on favorte to win the cup, so I really doubt there are 6 or so teams better than them in the playoff right now sir philly

in my completely unbiased opinion:

Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa
Calgary
Vancouver
and Edmonton (even though they didn't make the playoffs they are still better than Detroit)

Detroit is a distant 7th

all that Don Cherry has gone to your brain ;-)
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers