Story of the week - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Story of the week

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Story of the week

Postby Stand Pat » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:25 am

What sports franchise in Detroit starts the season 3-0? Conventional wisdom would say the Red Wings, or perhaps the Pistons. But lo, and behold- it's the mighty Tigers, with their sweep of the Blue Jays! Not since 1986 have they had such an auspicious start. It's an embarrassment of riches, I tell you! Is this the second coming of "Bless You Boys"? Are they making history? No, this sudden power surge you may recall was kick started during the last week of the Tigers' 2003 regular season, when they won 5 out of 7 games in order to AVOID making history as the team with the single season worst record ever. But if they can maintain this newfound momentum, they will have no other choice but to make history again, but this time more worthy of memorializing in the record books.

Hell, I'll jump on the bandwagon-for now. ;-D
Stand Pat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:02 am

Its the dawn of a new era in Detroit.
Pistons will be the NBA Champs.
Wings will be the Lord Stanley Champs.
Lions are looking better all the time.
Tigers are exciting again.

Who said Detroit is a small market city?

The reason the Tigers have done so poorly over the last decade had little to do with the players on the field, IMO. Its nice to have a front office that is dedicated to winning and an owner preparing for next seasons NHL shutdown. Longterm - I still think Illitch needs to sell the Tigers and dedicate himself to one team.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:16 am

i guess i've been spoiled living in major markets like NY and Philly. I know here winning is all that counts and fans can spot a loser from miles away. Sometimes it is over-the-top looking for a reason to boo their teams. But in Detroit, it seems that fans can't let go of the fact that most of their teams (including the Red Wings because Tampa Bay is my choice this year) will not be winning championships in the near future.

C'mon guys! 3-0 that's great but let's be realistic: The Tigers have started the same way the D-Rays did in 03' right before they went down the toilet. The Lions are at least 3 years away from making Joey Harrington a super bowl contender, (maybe longer if Mooch coaches.) and the Pistons can't win a title so long as the West rules.

Bottom line: Don't get to excited Detroit, because us major market cities can smell the "loser" from miles away. To paraphrase what I said on another thread, we can smell the used auto parts and {bleep}.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Stand Pat » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:21 am

perlick29 wrote:i guess i've been spoiled living in major markets like NY and Philly. I know here winning is all that counts and fans can spot a loser from miles away. Sometimes it is over-the-top looking for a reason to boo their teams. But in Detroit, it seems that fans can't let go of the fact that most of their teams (including the Red Wings because Tampa Bay is my choice this year) will not be winning championships in the near future.

C'mon guys! 3-0 that's great but let's be realistic: The Tigers have started the same way the D-Rays did in 03' right before they went down the toilet. The Lions are at least 3 years away from making Joey Harrington a super bowl contender, (maybe longer if Mooch coaches.) and the Pistons can't win a title so long as the West rules.

Bottom line: Don't get to excited Detroit, because us major market cities can smell the "loser" from miles away. To paraphrase what I said on another thread, we can smell the used auto parts and {bleep}.

you're a dork. philly? major market? maybe when our founding fathers got together there to argue about the bill of rights. 8-o
Stand Pat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:23 am

yeh your right, because its not the fourth biggest market in the US. and notice i mentioned new york where i was born and raised. I guess size envy doesn't just deal with certain body parts.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Story of the week

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:29 am

Stand Pat wrote:What sports franchise in Detroit starts the season 3-0? Conventional wisdom would say the Red Wings, or perhaps the Pistons. But lo, and behold- it's the mighty Tigers, with their sweep of the Blue Jays! Not since 1986 have they had such an auspicious start. It's an embarrassment of riches, I tell you! Is this the second coming of "Bless You Boys"? Are they making history? No, this sudden power surge you may recall was kick started during the last week of the Tigers' 2003 regular season, when they won 5 out of 7 games in order to AVOID making history as the team with the single season worst record ever. But if they can maintain this newfound momentum, they will have no other choice but to make history again, but this time more worthy of memorializing in the record books.

Hell, I'll jump on the bandwagon-for now. ;-D

shhhh...NHL playoffs have started.

you can find me in the hockey forum (at least until the Jays win one)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:37 am

Are you kidding me? That West dominance theory is about to get a reality check when the Pistons win the NBA.

What do the Lakers, Timberwolves, Spurs, or Kings have that the Pistons dont?
Great players, great coach, great team ethic, and a deep bench - we have it all.
Can we help it if our competition hasent lived up to the standard we've set out East?

The Wings have the Cup on absolute lockdown. Whos gonna challenge us, Colorado? Puhleeze.

Im not much for prognosticating how well a team will do yrs down the road - but the moves made by the Lions and Tigers over the last few yrs are exciting and have given those teams and their fans a spark.

I cant wait to see who the Lions get in the Draft - Taylor, Winslow, or one of the Williams WRs. Hopefully Taylor will fall to us.

To me it sounds like your just jealous - and I cant really blame you - Philly is a bridesmaid town if I've ever seen one. How's Iverson doing, by the way? And before you get too excited, the Eagles arent gonna win it this yr either - they'll find a way to lose in the cnference championships again. You know Im right. }:-)
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pedantic » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:43 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:What do the Lakers, Timberwolves, Spurs, or Kings have that the Pistons dont?

The Lakers have Shaq, Kobe, Payton, and Malone. Just thought I'd point that out. ;-) Not to mention the Pistons have no true "star" to carry their team in the playoffs.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby fishingmn » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:44 am

Philly isn't 4th biggest and Detroit isn't small -

1 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-CT-PA CMSA 20,124,377
2 Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County, CA CMSA 15,781,273
3 Chicago-Gary-Kenosha, IL-IN-WI CMSA 8,809,846
4 Washington-Baltimore, DC-MD-VA-WV CMSA 7,285,206
5 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA CMSA 6,816,047
6 Philadelphia-Wilmington-Atlantic City, PA-NJ-DE-MD CMSA 5,988,348
7 Boston-Worcester-Lawrence, MA-NH-ME-CT CMSA 5,633,060
8 Detroit-Ann Arbor-Flint, MI CMSA 5,457,583
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby perlick29 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:45 am

i wish i could be insulted by philly remarks but fortunately i hate this stinky city and miss new york badly. But anyway to reply to some of your comments.

The wings will not win the cup, not with manny legace in net and the Calgary Flames are my sleeper pick despite the fact they lost game 1. Even if they do make it to the Finals the Lightning, Bruins, Leafs, and maybe just maybe Sens and Flyers are better teams.

So what do the Lakers, Wolves, Spurs, and Kings have that the Pistons don't? Shaq, Duncan, Bibby, Kobe, Shaq, KG, Shaq, Webber, Shaq and Shaq. Sorry, no luck Pistons, Larry Brown can't get you over the hump.

Now the Lions are an up and comming team but I guess patience will have to be a virtue because it wont be this year.

I'll skip the Tigers to show how much respect I have for them.

Down with AI, Donovan is overrated, and Philly is a dirty town that would be their mothers if they couldn't throw strikes or catch passes.

I apologize for my 4th market, I am mistaken if I am proved wrong, thank you for that chin check.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers