Baseball's Best Rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Baseball's Best Rotation

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Baseball's Best Rotation

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:08 am

Which team really has the best starting pitching in the game? The Cubs, with Wood and Prior? The A's, whose top four are enough to put fear into any hitter? Houston, New York, or Boston, who all made significant changes this offseason?

In his debut Point of View article, Mike Baber (known in the forums as bucsfan04) analyzes last year's numbers and this season's perspectives to try and answer this tough question. Great stuff from Mike! ;-D

Do you agree with Mike's conclusions? Which team do you consider to have the best rotation in the majors? With so many star-studded staffs, it's not an easy choice...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Cheap Shot

Postby Mugwump » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:40 pm

Decent article, but why the cheap shot at the Yanks? You state that, "After a productive winter that once again benefited the Yankees the most" then go on in the next paragraph to push them out of the spotlight for top four rotations? There is no need to even mention them if you are only discussing the top four, according to you. No other team was mentioned in this manner, why the Yanks?
Mugwump

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Swinger » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:14 pm

MIKE MUSSINA HASN'T PROVED HIMSELF?

I see the Yankees' rotation as #1, and since it was omitted entirely.. this is one crappy point of view in my point of view. "bucsfan04"?? He mentions injuries, yet failed to mention what will probably be an extended absence of Mark Prior this year, even though this was posted well after we knew that.

Now, can someone tell me how MIKE MUSSINA HASN'T PROVED HIMSELF?
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bucsfan04 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:57 pm

Dont get me wrong, Mussina is a fabulous pitcher, but I just don't think he is a legit ace. Sure he was an ace for the ...Orioles? Never for a good team.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Swinger » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:14 pm

A fabulous pitcher will suddenly turn bad because he's the #1 instead of the #2 starter? Does that have any reasonable backup at all?
And who cares if he was just the ace of the Orioles? PITCHING IS PITCHING, for a good team or for a bad one: bad teams face nearly the same lineups as a good one. Are you saying that a great pitcher doesn't have ace credibility on a bad team?
You make no sense.
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bucsfan04 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:23 pm

U have a point, but some guys can't jandle the pressure of being a #1, especially in NY where the fans and media will come down on him hard if he fails. Also, who is after him. Vazquez maybe, but, like Mussina, he is coming from a small market, second class team to NY. Brown is definetly too old, and their other 2 starters are unreliable. Honestly, I have nothing against the Yankees, but I don't think there in the same class as the Bo Sox, AStros, As, and Cubs.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Thanks

Postby Mugwump » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:39 am

"Bucs", thanks for replying with straightforward answers. Peace.
Mugwump

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: Thanks

Postby bucsfan04 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:32 am

Mugwump wrote:"Bucs", thanks for replying with straightforward answers. Peace.

Peace man.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Zito 4 President » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:19 pm

Great article! I enjoyed your points of view and your rankings on the best rotation. Personally, I know I'm an A's fan, but they have the most proven staff thus far. Hudson, Mulder and Zito are almost a sure bet for 18 wins. Redman can pull of 15 or so, and Harden is almost a sure bet for 10-12. I know the Cubs have the young guns and the Yanks have "Muss," Vazquez and Brown... But!!! Mussina hasn't started out well at all, infact, it's been terrible. Brown, as we all know, will be on the DL more than once this year. So that leaves Vazquez, who is erratic at times. Now for the Cubs... Prior is out for a while, possibly the season. Wood can have trouble with walking people. Zambrano gets pitched "into the dirt" every year by Dusty Baker. Clement and Maddux aren't as good as they are cracked up to be, seeing as it's Greg Maddux. The 'Stros have Pettitte, Clemens, Oswalt and Miller. Pettitte is on the DL, Clemens will win 16. Oswalt will win 14, but be on the DL alot and Miller will have a good year, but the A's are still better. Finally the Bo Sox, 5 words... Curt Schilling AND Pedro Martinez. They have a good 1-2 punch, but the A's have a 1-2-3 knockout punch. Pedro has a habit of not going out until it's to late. i.e. last year in the playoffs. Schilling is still a monster, but is like 38 or something. Well, that's my opinion, later days.
Zito 4 President
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bucsfan04 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:23 am

I'm glad u agree. Exactly why i elminated the Yankees -- only 3 solid starters, one who is aging, onw (the ace) who is having a bad start, and one who is not consistent.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Article Discussions