Inning Increase and another P slot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Killer Crossover Keeper League

Inning Increase and another P slot

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Baseball Moderators

Would you like to increase Innings Pitched and add another P slot?

No to both
31%
No to IP increase, but yes to P slot
8%
Yes to IP increase, but no to P slot
38%
Yes to both
23%

Total votes : 13

Re: Inning Increase and another P slot

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:19 am

While there is plenty of truth to Thrill's argument, I feel it's missing the whole picture. Keeping the cupboard a little less bare benefits teams with strong staffs, just like our current settings favor teams with strong hitting. Last season, my hitting went south the final few months of the year and the waiver wire was bereft of decent options. Conversely, my staff was so awesome but it didn't really help me gain any advantage (especially over Thrill who finished 2nd in a bunch of pitching cats). Having teams make difficult decisions/gambles on who to start would put pitching on par with hitting.

(And yes, I'm still mad Thrill drafted Domonic Brown and Chris Davis ahead of me!!! :-D )
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Thrill » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:29 am

RedHopeful wrote:Having teams make difficult decisions/gambles on who to start would put pitching on par with hitting.

I believe this supports my argument though (relating to the IP limit anyway).

Say, for a second, we had a ridiculous IP limit of 100 innings. Wouldn't we all be doing everything we can to make sure we make the most of those 100 innings (as compared to our competition)? We would limit our bad outings. We would play only strong matchups. We would evaluate whether we need QS or whether we're way behind on Holds and need holds to land where we need to be in the rankings. If you feel you need to gamble to catch up, that's fine. But you have limited IP's to take that risk.

Mathmatically it is what it is. The greater we increase the IP's, the greater we do two things. 1) Expand the "quantity" race versus a quality race (in 4 of the 6 cats) ---- mind you, it's already a quantity race in those cats, but now the quantity just increases, but more importantly it 2) lessens the impact of bad decisions or gambles that don't work out.

Regarding increasing the "P" slot by one: I actually do believe 13 pitchers will make a difference in our ability to do in-season strategizing. I also believe increasing it one more "P" slot encourages the quantity race vs quality race IMO. By thinning out the waiver wire pool, we're certainly making the draft that much more important (vs in-season flexibility). Which, I guess is fine. Both involve some form of strategy one could argue.

Anyway, you all know me and that I'm fine with whatever direction the league takes. And I remain pleased with keeping Chris Davis and Domonic Brown for 3 more years. :-B :-D
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)

Postby silentjim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:51 am

So it looks like the only thing that a majority of people voted for was an IP limit increase (8 total since 3 said yes and yes and five said yes to only IP increase). To get this going in the right direction right away, I'm just going to move forward with the IP increase and since we were looking to increase IP since we added holds as a cat/we've just been a little behind in the times to begin with, I'm going to increase by 100 to 1350 IP total. ;-D
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)

Previous

Return to Killer Crossover Keeper League