Inning Increase and another P slot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Killer Crossover Keeper League

Inning Increase and another P slot

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Baseball Moderators

Would you like to increase Innings Pitched and add another P slot?

No to both
31%
No to IP increase, but yes to P slot
8%
Yes to IP increase, but no to P slot
38%
Yes to both
23%

Total votes : 13

Inning Increase and another P slot

Postby silentjim » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:37 am

Guys please vote as soon as you can.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Inning Increase and another P slot

Postby silentjim » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 am

For the record 5 guys last season went over the 1250 make by a few innings (because of the last day rule) and another 4 were crazy close.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Only 3 votes so far? Looks like basketball is still on most minds! ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby Laubster » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:24 pm

I never got a notice about this Poll , saw it because of another post in League I was notified about
Laubster
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jimmy.impossible » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:14 am

What are the pros of this? You say 5 guys went over last year and 4 were close. If you increase the number of innings...5 guys will probably go over and 4 will be close. ;-)
I would think you should always max out your innings and the stupid Yahoo loophole will always let you roll over the innings maximum.
My bigger concern is the watering down of the waiver wire with an extra dozen pitchers on rosters.

As an aside, how does the league handle that Yahoo loophole? I've played in other leagues where managers will basically raid the wire and stack up on pitchers (including a lot of SP) that day that they are going to go over the innings limit and get as many stats as possible. Does the league condone such a practice or, while within the "rules", consider it "shady"?
jimmy.impossible
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 24)

Postby silentjim » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:13 am

jimmy.impossible wrote:What are the pros of this? You say 5 guys went over last year and 4 were close. If you increase the number of innings...5 guys will probably go over and 4 will be close. ;-)
I would think you should always max out your innings and the stupid Yahoo loophole will always let you roll over the innings maximum.
My bigger concern is the watering down of the waiver wire with an extra dozen pitchers on rosters.

As an aside, how does the league handle that Yahoo loophole? I've played in other leagues where managers will basically raid the wire and stack up on pitchers (including a lot of SP) that day that they are going to go over the innings limit and get as many stats as possible. Does the league condone such a practice or, while within the "rules", consider it "shady"?

This first discussion started a few seasons back when we a) introduced holds as a cat and b) when yahoo started upping the limits on pitching in standard leagues to begin with. We just never got around to implementing it in time last season (if we were going to).

If you've got 1249 IP and want to send 5 SPs out the last day and think you can make stats up that way, then by all means go for it. It's within the rules and would not be frowned upon. ;-D
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod

Postby The Thrill » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 am

Just seemed to me last season I liked having to decide between throwing an SP out there or an RP. Deciding between QS, K's (and what I believe to be an increased risk of a negative impact on your ERA and WHIP) versus Saves or Holds.

By keeping the IP's lower, mathmatically it makes it that much more important that you have quality guys out there. As you spread (or increase) the IP's you're allowing for more flexibility and you're not quite as deeply impacted by poor decisions (i.e. "Shoot I shouldn't have started him"). That said, of course, it depends upon just how much we increase the IP limit.

I voted to keep the rules as-is (No on both) because, even though it is true that there are guys getting Saves sitting on the wire, or guys getting holds on the wire, you're still forced to make a decision. As we increase the IP's, I think some of that decision-making goes away as options dry up and you're left with "Well, I have to keep Hochevar now because there's literally nobody out on the wire worth owning."

I don't like drying up options. I think it limits everyone in the standings (1 thru 13) from making a decision that might help them. Especially when it comes to pitching. Hitting we don't quite have that same decisions-making excpet maybe around the Steals category and what a player like that does to the rest of your stats. But for pitching, I like keeping options out there and forcing us to make decisions upon which direction we want to go and the importance of it being a good decision as compared to what your league-mates are doing.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)

Postby The Thrill » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:01 am

The Thrill wrote:By keeping the IP's lower, mathmatically it makes it that much more important that you have quality guys out there. As you spread (or increase) the IP's you're allowing for more flexibility and you're not quite as deeply impacted by poor decisions (i.e. "Shoot I shouldn't have started him"). That said, of course, it depends upon just how much we increase the IP limit.

Don't think I phrased this sentence quite like what I'm trying to get across. My point is that you're not as deeply impacted by poor decisions.

Keeping IP's low and not opening up a new roster pitching spot, to me, means slightly better pitchers remain on the wire. This, in turn, gives you more flexiblity in your strategy, less flexibility in being able to cover up your errors.

Hopefully that makes sense what I'm trying to get at. :*)
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Laubster » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 am

Nice thoughts Thrill
Laubster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby So-Tex » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm still new at all this, so I wouldn't really know how it would impact me or my strategy...that being said, I kinda agree with Thrill's assessment as well, so I voted no to both.

Maybe after playing a few seasons, I'll have a different opinion. :-b
So-Tex Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 28)

Next

Return to Killer Crossover Keeper League