Snake or Straight Draft in Returning Keeper League? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Snake or Straight Draft in Returning Keeper League?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Snake or Straight Draft in Returning Keeper League?

Postby bowltr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:18 am

I belong to a 12 team/10 keeper league with season roster set at 30. We keep 4h, 4p and 2 anything. So you can go 6-4 or 4-6 or 5-5.
We do a snake draft from year to year. The top teams always seem to dominate from year to year.
This league is now entering it's 6th year I've been in it for 5. I took over a team that finished 11th out of 12 the first year but the talent on that team was better than an 11th place team.
First year I was 5th and the went 1st, 3rd, 1st.
So this year I'm the defending champ and my 10 keepers are:
Cano
M. Carpenter
A. Jones
Ellsbury
Trout
Stanton
Verlander
Hamels
Strasburg
Bumgarner

The only player remaining from the team I took over is Ellsbury.
I drafted Trout in the 24th rnd of his rookie year. Drafted Stras the year he was off from TJ surgery (also won this year) in the 15th rnd (5th rnd of redraft) and sat on him. My point is regardless of the draft type if you pay attention to your team and make smart trades and watch for rookies being added and use the WW accordingly you can build your team regardless of draft type.
I do think it's interesting to abolish the snake format but it's by no means a death sentence by using the snake. The fact remains no matter the draft format you need to pay attention to you team daily and make smart moves. That is the key to long term success is keeper/dynasty league,

At least IMO.
bowltr
T-Ball Trainer

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Snake or Straight Draft in Returning Keeper League?

Postby 23 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Snake format is really only meant to be used for a couple years or so when you're getting the league off the ground. Once you're established, I think straight is the way to go.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner