mid season help/questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

mid season help/questions

mid season help/questions

Postby jminrod » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:43 pm

I am brand new to the fantasy Baseball scene. I have found a ton of info on drafting but nothing on how to manage a team during the season. I am looking at starting with an auction and also a snake draft both being 5x5 roto's. I am looking for hints/help on what to do during the season to make sure I am being competitive. The questions are based on a standard CBS 5x5 roto unless there is somewhere better I could look. I would love to do face to face drafts like we do for football but online will work.

1.) I hear alot about Mon and Thur. Is this more like football where you have 1pm and 4pm games?

2.) If I am doing a roto, I am still a little confused on how the (points) add up. I guess what I am asking is if I pick up a player that has a batting average of .280 and he then has a great week what can his average go to? if it gets to .370 and I drop or trade him before it goes back down do I get he .370 avg.?. Are the averages tallied weekly or is what ever you have at the end?

3.) I guess this goes back to #1 but how many hours a day/week do I need to spend to be competitive? Is it something I need to do at a certain time?
jminrod
T-Ball Trainer

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: mid season help/questions

Postby fast dogs » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:27 pm

the majority of roto leagues you set your lineup on Monday and it is good for 7 days; daily lineup leagues the shortage of games on Monday & Thursday comes into play. average and all stats are good for only the day or week that you use them what they did before or after the time you use them doesn't matter
start with answering the daily lineup question and we'll go from there
ps auction leagues usually aren't the way to go for 1st time players. you might try a h2h league as well as a roto
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Re: mid season help/questions

Postby jackets55 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:17 am

Concur with fast dogs. An auction league is probably not where you want to start. Generally these are harder to manage as you have the added burden of salary management without any experience. H2H roto would be a good place to start as you can make mistakes and recover.

You don't need to spend hours everyday to manage just one team, particularly if it is weekly league (which I also recommend for beginners). Just by virtue of moving players around, a daily lineup league requires more time.

Sounds simple, but I suggest reading your leagues rules paying particular attention to adds/drops and scoring as not all leagues are created equal.

Most people don't realize that fantasy sports, particularly baseball, is a game of mathematics based on athletic competition. Do your homework and learn the terminology and you will be fine.

Good luck and have fun.
jackets55
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Return to Beginner's Forum