2014 Darft Analysis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Leftovers League

2014 Darft Analysis

Moderator: rotoquest

2014 Darft Analysis

Postby rotoquest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:30 am

1. What was your draft strategy?

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft?

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft?

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3?

5. The best pick that you made

6. The worst pick that you made

7. What player is the biggest key to your success?

8. Your team's weak/strong points?

9. Which team(s) have as good chance to improve because it is owned by an active manager?

10. If you could swap teams with anyone else, whose would you take?
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2014 Darft Analysis

Postby cordscords » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:11 pm

I didn't really have a sound strategy for this draft. With this being a slow draft and a season that starts on 3/22 there was a need to draft ASAP, unfortunately that left me with my pants down and my projections/rankings far from finalized. Having said that, I think I was able to go w/ the flow pretty well. Sometime it's healthy not to over-think things and just pick players.

Not trying to toot my own horn here, but getting Cueto at 196 is ridiculous. Dude has had a sub 3 ERA that last 3 seasons despite the flaws you can find in his game, and his lowest rank among 42 submitting experts on fantasypros is 189. Going outside of my roster, I think RBV snagging Fister in the 15th was a great pick. I'm always bullish on AL to NL moves.

I simply can't get on board with Abreu at #62. I think he projects to perform fairly well, but to take him over known commodities that were still available was really surprising. Coupled w/ the fact that his rank on fantasypros sits at 121 seems to indicate a significant reach. Since I was patting myself on the back in question #2, I'll say my own personal reach was on Domonic Brown. I drafted him around where his rank was on Y! meaning I'm banking on close to a repeat performance to return value on the pick, and his career trajectory is kind of scary. My good friend NikkiSixx made sure to give me a hard time for passing on Chapman and to a lesser extent Josh Donaldson and reaching for Brown.

In no particular order- Me, Rotoquest, RBV. Excluding myself, throw in NikkiSixx. What no bottom 3? Are we trying not to hurt anybody's feelings this year?

I'll say Marco Estrada. Dude had a ridiculous 2nd half and finally delivered on some of the hype he had last preseason. I think he projects to have a K/9 over 8, a sub 1.20 WHIP, and a 3.50-3.60 ERA.

I'll say CC Sabathia. Not necessarily because I hate the player or where I was able to get him, but because I ended up with a surplus of starting pitchers. That became a part of my plan because pitching is tricky to project so I wanted strength in numbers, and the law of averages hopefully would spit me out a couple of quality back-end starters among CC/Estrada/Haren/Gallardo. I still think that plan will pan out for me, but 8 starters is probably a bit excessive. I could have gotten another closer in Hunter/Jones at that point, or addressed the atrocity that I'll discuss in Q #8.

As funny as it may sound- Ben Revere. His health and speed are absolutely vital to me making a significant dent in the SB category. If he goes down or woefully under-performs, I'm in big trouble.

I have 2 glaringly large weak points. See 2B and MI. Those guys are competing to win a starting spot. I'm crossing my fingers that they win their jobs. If not I'll be forced to make a trade or drop 'em for the subpar options that remain on the waiver wire. My assembled roster is very much high risk/high reward, depending on the health of guys like Cargo/Bautista, the ability of Rizzo/Jennings to breakthrough, and Sandoval/Castro to bounce-back. I also have a thin bench, see Ryan Howard, but I almost always keep a thin bench. My strongest point by far is my starting pitching. I never imagined owning Strasburg or Lee but they slipped in the draft just enough to my liking that I wound up w/ 2 aces. I think Cain's second half and secondary stats point to a full bounceback, and I've already highlighted my plan for the back of my rotation in Q #6.

9. Which team(s) have as good chance to improve because it is owned by an active manager?

I know NikkiSixx is absolutely fired up for this season and ready to go, and I've always regarded him as an excellent in season manager. He's never shy to orchestrate a trade or drop/add a guy. I think all of us were fairly active last year weren't we? I think we all have a great chance as well.

I'll say Rotoquest. For the first several rounds I would have made the exact same picks in his draft spot.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby oscar15 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:41 pm

C Salvador Perez C-KC
1B David Ortiz DH/1B-BOS
2B Chase Utley 2B-PHI
SS Andrelton Simmons SS-ATL
3B Todd Frazier 3B-CIN
MI Jhonny Peralta SS-STL
CI Jose Abreu 1B-CHW
OF Hunter Pence OF-SF
OF Shane Victorino OF-BOS
OF Austin Jackson OF-DET
OF Nick Swisher 1B/OF-CLE
OF B.J. Upton OF-ATL
DH Angel Pagan OF-SF
SP Clayton Kershaw SP-LAD
SP Yu Darvish SP-TEX
SP Kris Medlen SP-ATL
RP Craig Kimbrel RP-ATL
RP Trevor Rosenthal RP-STL
P Steve Cishek RP-MIA
P A.J. Burnett SP-PHI
P Ian Kennedy SP-SD
B Chris Johnson 3B-ATL
B Omar Infante 2B-KC
B Denard Span OF-WSH
B Emilio Bonifacio 2B/OF-CHC
B Jarrod Saltalamacchia C-MIA
B DJ LeMahieu 2B-COL

Take stud pitchers to eat up the innings limit and not draft pitchers in reserve.

If any of Rotos fading stars have resurgence, they will be the steal of the draft.

I might have pulled the trigger a little early on Jose Abreu

RBV, Amazing Oopah, Nikki Sixx

Even though I think I took him early, Jose Abreu might turn out being my best pick. I also liked Ian Kennedy in the late rounds

Chase Utley

I need A.J. Burnett to perform on the same level he did last year. If Ortiz and Utley can squeeze in one more good year, that would be very helpful

8. Your team's weak/strong points? Weak points
Weak points -Stolen bases and average, I tried to address them with my bench. We shall see if it works out
Strong points - All the pitching categories. I believe I need top three finishes in all the pitching categories to even have a shot at winning it all.

Roto, Nikki Sixx, RBV

RBV because he has won this thing the last two years.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby sheilst » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 pm

1. What was your draft strategy?My draft strategy was to grab the best available player at all costs through round 5. After that I had a plan to target younger players with upside.

2. Who do you think was the steal of the draft? Hmmm. I think Ryan Braun at 1.9 was a great buy. I also think a little later some guys like Pujols at pick 33 overall will provide some value, and I think Kazmir really late offers nothing but upside....

3. Who do you think was the reach of the draft? Hmmm, tough one. I think Darvish at 2.4 was really early, especially given that Oscat had already picked Kershaw.

4. Who do you think will finish in the top 3? Me, RBV, and NikkiSixx.

5. The best pick that you made: I love Carlos Gomez in Round 3 this year. I had him just outside the first in value, and a 25/40 season is always nice.

6. The worst pick that you made: Wasted a pick outright on Sano. Needed TJS the very next day.

7. What player is the biggest key to your success? My OF. I have a lot tied up in Cutch, Ells, and Gomez. I hope they deliver.

8. Your team's weak/strong points? Strengths: Speed, Runs, AVG. Weaknesses: Hoping on a few guys like Kluber and Porcello to continue to improve.

9. Which team(s) have as good chance to improve because it is owned by an active manager? RBV!

10. If you could swap teams with anyone else, whose would you take?Hmmmm, I think Rotoquest has a nice squad.
sheilst
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Saltydog » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:29 am

rotoquest wrote:1. What was your draft strategy?

Depth, depth, and more depth in all categories. I didn't want to get caught scrambling with risk in later rounds for stats. When in doubt, go with the safe boring hitter and live with upside on pitching.

Strasburg in the 2nd half of round for is incredible value. Big fan of Alex Gordon at the end of the 6th round.

Posey at #48. It made sense at the turn, but with no catcher going until Mauer at #74 there was no need to think about catcher before round 6 especially in a 1 catcher league.

Nikki, RBV, and Roto.

Backing up Anibal in the 7th with Cobb in the 8th. Last year I waited too long on pitching so I decided to double up when the time was right.

Leonys Martin, if Ron Washington continues to bury him in the 9 spot with Elvis Andrus at the top of the order.

Sonny Gray. If he's the future ace of Oakland, I hope it doesn't take a year or two to happen.

I think I spread the risk a bit. I went mostly conservative with some players that have relatively decent floors. My strength is depth with being able to move Carpenter/Gyorko if needed.

Oscar

I wouldn't. I like my team and would only swap if I didn't think my team was good enough to compete.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)

Postby rotoquest » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:49 am

ADPs be damned! I wanted to take any available player when I wanted them, and not to be governed by picking players when others thought it was the right time.

If De Aza ends up starting, then I think Salty Dog is the winner at 257.

Jose Abreu comes to mind, but I took Middlebrooks way before his adp so who knows?

It’s tough to say…some people ended up with good corners, good OF, MI, SP etc., and since we’re all gambling that we don’t drop in the standings due to an oblique or hamstring injury, or a turned ankle…I like RBV, Cords, and I’m going to give a shout out to my man Oscar. He has the best pitching staff by far, and enough hitting to be competitive.

Good thing this isn’t asking the riskiest pick that I made, because I would be here all day about that. My best pick(s) were probably going braun, fielder and pujols back to back to back. It was exhilarating! After that, it was like "Giddyup!!"

Eric young at 208, but I thirsty for sb, and he had the deepest well to quench the thirst.

I need bounce back years from several players like Pujols, Kemp & Hamilton. But if they get back to 85% of what they were, then I’m liking my chances.

Health. / Potential.

Cords is already looking for trades on the trading block, how can I not pick him. I’m guessing Nikki & shocker will give him a run for his money in acquisitions. (I’m no slouch at that myself...reminds of a Caddyshack scene)

I’ll let you know in September. :-D (probably Cords)
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:44 am

Plain and simple, my plan was to draft a team that could win every category. By doing this I wanted to take the best player available according to my projections for the first few rounds, and then fill in needs at reasonable prices afterward. There are lots of players I like all throughout the draft so I didn't feel the need to reach at any one point. Although I will admit that I was nervous about Scott Kazmir not making it back to me in the 18th round I think it was. I don't think I left any holes in my lineup, but I do worry that I might not have drafted enough HR/SB. For the first 10 or 11 rounds there wasn't a ton of thinking for me though, because I knew who my best player available was. I ended up with quite the compilation of players. Some are young guys with room to grow, others players on my team are reliable players right in their prime, and I also got quite a few older guys that I'm hoping to squeeze another good season out of. I'm very happy with the result.

To me the steal of the draft was David Price with the 68th pick.

That would have to be Jose Abreu, but if Oscar thinks he is the real deal and was worried about him not making it back to him, then it was still a fine pick. That could have been the last good first baseman left for Oscar.

I'll exclude myself because I think most people think their team is the best.... as they probably should. And Everyone else is saying RBV, cords, and Rotoquest, and they have great teams too. I will give some other guys some shout outs that I think can compete for the top spot. I like Oopah, Thomasps3, and Saltydog.

MIGUEL CABRERA! :-D Also I liked my Scott Kazmir pick a lot and thought I got great value on Michael Cuddyer (even if he doesn't come close to repeating last year, he is still a top 100 player in my book. Top 80 actually).

Jason Motte, I didn't do my homework with this pick and knew that Trevor Rosenthal was experiencing some minor injuries... I honestly thought Motte was further along than he actually is. He won't be handling 9th inning duties anytime soon.

MIGUEL CABRERA! :-D Health is the key to my success. But as far as players go, my life would be a lot easier if George Springer could deliver on his power and speed promise. Also Giancarlo Stanton and Everth Cabrera are pretty huge pieces to my puzzle, I badly need them to play a full season and to hit well over 30 homers for Stanton, and steal a lot of bases for Cabrera. A bounce back from Teixeira wouldn't hurt either.

My team weakness is age and health, as well as home run power. my strong points are MIGUEL CABRERA! :-D as well batting average and starting pitching.

I'll say cords because I know him personally and know he has great in season management (and he executed a couple great trades last year to put himself in contention). I also know that RBV has won this league back to back and that can't happen without good in season management. Rotoquest had good in season management last year from what I saw.

Amazing_Oopah. He has a great foundation I can work with and I'm a sucker for strikeout heavy pitchers and he has a ton of those. Nice draft man, even your auto picks (Craig and Myers) were both targets of mine.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Postby RedBullVodka » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:17 pm

The same as usual. Draft best players for the first 8-10 rounds, fill in holes and aim to be in top 3-4 of each category by the end of the draft. I think with one or two glaring omissions (saves!) I'm not too far off. My hitting is pretty decent, although I need my MI to play to their potential, and to contribute steals, which I'm a little light with most of my other hitters. I might also be light on Ks, as most of my pitchers are just a little off the top K guys. But I'm pretty excited to have Fister as a number 5, Archer as a number 6, and even Smyly might not be too shabby...

Fister that late was pretty decent, while Roto's pick of Tillman in the last round might pay big dividends if he pitches to the same level as last year.

As I said at the time, I'm not a big fan of Daniel Murphy in Rd 11 (particularly while Gyorko was still there, or Prado in Rd 10.

Razzball predictions including benches, says Beerdogs, me, Salty. But maybe I should just have looked at starting lineups...

James Shields in Rd 11 looks pretty good on paper, but because of that I missed out on the closer run, and have left myself hugely short in that area, so...

Maybe James Shields was the worst pick as well. Or it could be Beltran in Rd 7. If I had take either Chapman or Holland in that round I could have been in position to take Shields in Rd 11 and not regretting it.

They all are - at least all the starters. I need Puig to justify second round slot - something I'm not completely confident he'll do.

Saves, saves and saves. I have good starting pitching to trade perhaps!

I would guess Roto, Salty and Nikki will all do this, and perhaps Amazing as well. In fact most of us are pretty active during the season. So the one I hope really is active this year is Thomas. Come on Tommy boy, keep going this year, and you never know you might be out of the basement!!

Maybe MasterX. He has my man Votto!
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 44)

Postby GIANTbeerdog » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Beerdogs

C - Jonathan Lucroy (10.114)
1B - Eric Hosmer (4.42)
2B - Daniel Murphy (11.127)
SS - Troy Tulowitzki (1.7)
3B - David Wright (2.18)
MI - Jose Reyes (3.31)
CI - Victor Martinez (12.138)
OF - Billy Hamilton (8.90)
OF - Nelson Cruz (14.162)
OF - Coco Crisp (15.175)
OF - Torii Hunter (16.186)
OF - Colby Rasmus (20.234)
UTL - Nick Markakis (23.271)

SP - Justin Verlander (5.55)
SP - Mat Latos (9.103)
SP - Hyun-Jin Ryu (13.151)
RP - Kenley Jansen (6.66)
RP - Greg Holland (7.79)
P - Patrick Corbin (17.199)
P - Lance Lynn (19.223)
P - R.A. Dickey (21.247)

B - Adam LaRoche (22.258)
B - Neil Walker (18.210)
B - Dan Straily (24.282)
B - Erick Aybar (25.295)
B - Andre Ethier (26.306)
B - Cody Asche (27.319)

A) Follow my draft Bible, Shandler's Forcaster
B) Draft high average players and fill my bench with off day replacement position players
C) Draft decent pitchers that I hopefully won't have worry too much about that will get to the innings limit

I'll have to agree with De Aza. He was at the top of my que for quite awhile, but the uncertainty of playing everyday kept me bypassing him. If he gets a starting gig, he will be a steal at #257.

Not to bash on Oscar any more than necessary, I will say Dominic Brown at 7.76.

Haven't looked at all the teams yet - will take a gander after the auction draft.

If Billy Hamilton goes crazy on the basepaths like I anticipate - I like him in the 8th round.

Counting on a big season from Tulo, but, if he does not stay healthy, a very poor pick at 7.

Everyone - Tulo, Hamilton, and healthy roster...

Power - have plenty of speed, avg, runs, and a balanced pitching staff

TBD

Why Oscar's of course...
Last edited by GIANTbeerdog on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIANTbeerdog
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby oscar15 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:11 am

Thought I had a shot until about 3 weeks ago. I started sinking like a rock!

Intended to make a blockbuster trade at the deadline, couldn't make it happen.

I'm still shooting for top 4!
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Leftovers League