Getting Active Players Off DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Getting Active Players Off DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Getting Active Players Off DL

Postby bigmck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:47 pm

I am in a league this year on ESPN and the LM has instituted a rule where you have to take you player off the DL withing two days or a stat penalty is given on the second offense. I asked him if he was aware that no Drop / Adds could be done by a team if there was an active player on the DL. The LM was aware of this but thinks it is still a good rule he has. I am not going to be one to break the rule, but I just can't understand why he thinks something like this is necessary. I just can't see how keeping an active player on the DL is of any advantage. == Can anyone tell me what I am missing with this?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Getting Active Players Off DL

Postby fast dogs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:16 am

he must be thinking doing nothing for a while lets you decide if you want to keep the new player or go back to the injured 1. sometimes it takes a player a while to get to full strength and you are better off with the replacement 1. it is alot of extra work for him to monitor the DL comings and goings, it must be impt to him
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 318)

Postby 23 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:26 pm

bigmck wrote:I am in a league this year on ESPN and the LM has instituted a rule where you have to take you player off the DL withing two days or a stat penalty is given on the second offense. I asked him if he was aware that no Drop / Adds could be done by a team if there was an active player on the DL. The LM was aware of this but thinks it is still a good rule he has. I am not going to be one to break the rule, but I just can't understand why he thinks something like this is necessary. I just can't see how keeping an active player on the DL is of any advantage. == Can anyone tell me what I am missing with this?

bigmck,

My league is probably a bit different, as we're a more traditional Roto (minus the auction/salaries), but we do have a similar rule. In short, once your player is activated from the DL, you have a week to activate him. Failure to do so or choosing a different player to send down results in a $ penalty with the thinking that if you're going to "benefit" from an injury, you should pay for it. More easily explained:

Pujols goes on the DL, Loney gets activated for Pujols (free); Pujols comes off the DL, you don't activate him in a week OR you leave Loney in the lineup and reserve another player = $ penalty

Does that make sense? But in your particular case, I don't see how you're gaining an advantage unless I'm missing something. My only thought is maybe in his mind it's a way to ensure owners remain active and participatory? i.e. stay on top of your team or hurt your stats?

What is his explanation? You have to have reason for rules otherwise the Commissioner just comes off like a. . .ya know.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby converge241 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:44 pm

I think the fact that it blocks you from other moves (pickups/trades some host sites can even disable scoring) is enough. Policing that is more work than the value someone would obtain by enforcing it. Just my .02
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:49 pm

I've had leagues that force drop a player after x number of days with the active player still in a DL spot. in the leagues i run i don't do anything because it's not worth the time to keep on top of it, but i can see why some commishes might institute a similar rule.

there can definitely be an advantage to keeping an active player on the DL as it basically becomes an extra bench spot until you decide whether or not to keep the player or drop someone else.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Return to Commissioner's Corner