Auction Strategy Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Auction Strategy Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Strategy Question

Postby mjfhokie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:11 pm

I just joined a new auction league. It is also the first year of a keeper league going into the future. In future years, you will be limited to 5 keepers, and the salary will come from your draft budget. The 12 team league is fairly deep with 22 players and an 8 player bench. You have 4 SP, 2 RP, and 2 P in a a daily league so you can alternate in extra SP (but there is a IP limit of 1350 innings). 5x5 roto with mostly standard stats.

Here is where it is a little different. All teams have a standard $260 budget. The difference is that all teams are required to auction draft the 22 starters, but then can opt to drop out of the draft and pick up the bench players via the waiver wire. All waiver picks will carry a $10 price for future keepers, but auction players will have the salary purchased for at the draft.

Therefore, which is the better strategy?
1. Spend all your money on the 22 starters and then go home (i.e. get the top starters but don't worry about the quality and/or cheaper price of bench players).
2. Spend all money on 30 players (22 starters + bench) by reserving money for all 8 bench players (i.e. a better bench and extra SP for streaming plus better keeper prices).
3. Somewhere in between. Get the 22 starters and maybe 2 to 4 key bench players/extra SP. Use up all budget and whatever spots are not filled use the waiver wire.

I am tending to Strategy 1 (but making sure I stick around if for some reason I have any money left over). Note that I think this league's auction approach arose more out of some teams having to leave the draft early instead of being a conscious league decision.

Note that part of the strategy is whether I want better bench SP. I have played H2H leagues and the more starts the better, but I have not played with a strict innings limit. How many innings can I expect from each SP or RP? I am wondering how this affects SP values and if it should affect my draft strategy. In addition, should the limit of 5 future keepers affect my strategy. With this low non-dynasty limit, will I be better off with $1/$2 keepers or will I be focused on keeping my more expensive and better players.

Thanks you for any advice or insights you may have.
mjfhokie
T-Ball Trainer

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions