Dynasty league thoughts/ideas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Dynasty league thoughts/ideas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty league thoughts/ideas

Postby tmacdaman1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Anyone have experience in a dynasty league with no contracts or keeper restrictions? I like the idea of letting people really build a team, but I know there are pros and cons. Just trying to get an idea of how it usually turns out, for better or for worse.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty league thoughts/ideas

Postby jdouble777 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Would almost be destined to have bad teams result in high turnover, IMO
jdouble777
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eatyun » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:27 am

I play in one of those leagues. I really like them because you can simulate closer to real life teams (although you can also do this with contract leagues) My team stinks atm but its pretty fun rebuilding it ;-D
eatyun
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 513)

Postby 23 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:35 pm

tmacdaman1 wrote:Anyone have experience in a dynasty league with no contracts or keeper restrictions? I like the idea of letting people really build a team, but I know there are pros and cons. Just trying to get an idea of how it usually turns out, for better or for worse.

We are a Roto keeper league, though I'm not sure what you mean by "no keeper restrictions"? We have 40-man rosters, protect 15 and have farm teams and have been going strong for about six years now.

In terms of pros/cons, the obvious pro is, like you said, you can truly build a team and call players your own. If you're shrewd or lucky enough to get Miguel Cabrera, he's yours for a decade if you so desire.I think it also lends added value to younger players. In a non-keeper league, a highly touted rookie or young player's value would be negligible, but in a keeper league, those players have trade value.

In my opinion, the cons are few and far between IF you have a good group of smart, competitive owners because even if you finish at the bottom one season, the fact is 60 percent of the rosters will turn over the next season and if you draft well and/or add good young players, there's no reason you can't improve significantly or compete. Obviously I'm biased, but some of our guys are damn near addicted to our league. It's a great time. Plus you can keep it going beyond the six months of the season. At this time of year, for example, guys are considering who they'll keep, who they'll let go, trades are possible, etc.

It's a good question you ask. I'm sure I'll think of other pros and cons, and I'd be curious to hear other opinions.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby 23 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:37 pm

eatyun wrote:I play in one of those leagues. I really like them because you can simulate closer to real life teams (although you can also do this with contract leagues) My team stinks atm but its pretty fun rebuilding it ;-D

Agree with this and good for you for having that outlook. This is the type of guy you want in your league opposed to the guy who disappears when his team goes south.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby converge241 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:46 pm

I would just have some type of contract system where some contracts are going to run out aka a limited amount of extensions when a players deal is up. You can keep "anyone" forever but a limit on how many folks to extend every offseason.

Yeah 1 you draft 25 or whatever players and you can give 15 of them contracts with years then the other 10 have no contract. Youre allowed to extend like 3 of them.

Just as a random example throwing out numbers but something along those lines; every year you want a few owners to have a tough cut here and there to help keep the pool fresh especially because so many kids will be hoarded in a system like that
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Return to Commissioner's Corner