Alex Sanchez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Sanchez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alex Sanchez

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:52 pm

Being that Sanchez is a completely 1 dimensional player and absolutely worthless at the plate....how long do you think it will take until either a) he loses his starting job or b) he no longer is batting leadoff?

I drafted him solely for steals, but they are physically impossible unless you actually get on base first. So I am trying to trade him while people still think he is worth something....b/c I can see him either riding the bench, or at the very least, batting 9th.

Nothing worse than starting a guy who you know will never hit a home run because you want steals, and then checking the box score and seeing 0/5.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:00 pm

He's not one dimensional. He'll be good for BA and R as well. Just like Pierre. Just because he's on a bad team people assume he's worthless.........and he won't lose his job, he has a good BA and is one of the fastest players in baseball. Do you think Pierre will lose his job? No, right. Then why, on an much worse team, would Sanchez lose his job? Because his BA is 10 points lower?????

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Hyde » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:05 pm

The Tigers have no one else to play center field, he might get dropped in the lineup, but he'll be playing center until the Tigers get someone else who can.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetruth » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:10 pm

sanchez has never scored over 60 runs. juan pierre has over 90 the last 3 seasons. im not sold on sanchez at all. he's apparently a problem in the clubhouse and thats part of the reason milwaukee didnt want him. if he plays a full season maybe he could put up similar numbers, but the fact is he never has. you also simply cannot throw out the fact that he plays for detroit and pierre plays for a much better marlin team.

the only reason id pick him up would be for steals like slomo said. i wouldnt count on him for anything else.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:17 pm

Sanchez hasn't even played a full season, and split last year between 2 of the worst teams in baseball! Give the guy a chance. He's consistenly hit .280-.290, and on this Tigers team batting leadoff, he will get much more than 60 runs. Job security is not an issue, and he is not much of a different player than Pierre IMO. Pierre will probably get more runs because Florida has more power hitters, but in real life, the difference between the two is negligible, ie: he has a roster spot guaranteed. I think him and Pierre will have almost identical stats this season, although losing Young for a couple months sucks.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Hyde » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:21 pm

Maybe Sanchez has never scored many runs because he has never had over 400 ab's. With 600 ab's he could steal 60 and score 80 to 90 runs with the improved Tigers lineup. I guarantee Sanchez will pull a hammy a couple times and miss 30 to 40 games.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:24 pm

I just dumped Sanchez. The 'speed kills' dude was right. No way I can fit him in around Ramirez, G. Anderson, C. Lee. Some guy just dumped Guillen though and I want to try to get him when D. Young goes on the DL. The Yahoo DL, that is...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:24 pm

LBJackal wrote:Sanchez hasn't even played a full season, and split last year between 2 of the worst teams in baseball! Give the guy a chance. He's consistenly hit .280-.290, and on this Tigers team batting leadoff, he will get much more than 60 runs. Job security is not an issue, and he is not much of a different player than Pierre IMO. Pierre will probably get more runs because Florida has more power hitters, but in real life, the difference between the two is negligible, ie: he has a roster spot guaranteed. I think him and Pierre will have almost identical stats this season, although losing Young for a couple months sucks.

Batting average isn't what matters most for steal players...it's OBP. A walk will usually result in a steal if you're a true baserunner. Pierre had an OBP of .361, while Sanchez's was just .320. Sanchez is nothing near what Pierre is. I agree that he probably won't lose his job due to like many have pointed out, he has no competition. But I don't think he'll be at the top of the lineup for long unless he starts producing.

If you need another reason Pierre is better -
Pierre was caught stealing 20 times in 162 games
Sanchez was caught stealing 18 times in only 101 games. That's a huge difference.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thetruth » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:26 pm

sanchez was the starting for detroit last year after being traded. i gave him a chance on my team. besides some expected steals he was far from impressive.
thetruth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:27 pm

LBJackal wrote:Do you think Pierre will lose his job? No, right. Then why, on an much worse team, would Sanchez lose his job? Because his BA is 10 points lower?????

His BA may only be 10 points lower, but his OBP last year was 40 points lower. That makes a big difference, especially when we're talking about leadoff men.

I don't think Sanchez is an especially good player, certainly not in Pierre's class. That said, he isn't terrible, and the Tigers don't have a lot of other options so its likely he will continue to start and leadoff all year. If he does, he should be good for 40 steals and 70-80 runs.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers