Need Advice on New Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need Advice on New Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need Advice on New Rules

Postby tvaldivi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:50 am

We have an existing league that we are modifying and basically starting over. We want to convert the league into an auction salary keeper league and thus I am beginning to write the new constitution.

Here is the basic premise for our league: $260.00 salary auction with the same $260.00 in season cap. Off season cap of $100.00. At the end of the 1st year of owning a player each player be kept on a 1 year deal with a $5 increase or a 3 year deal with a $5 increase each year. If you choose the 1 year option then that player must be dropped after the following season and will be available in the auction. If you choose the 3 year deal a penalty will be enforced for dropping them early.

A few questions I have:

1) do you foresee any problems with this structure in terms of too few or too many people being kept?

2) what do you do about waivers? Cbs doesn't allow a system where you can bid on a player and the price you bid is what you have them for on your roster. Do we just have a waiver system where each person added is a certain amount? For example $2? What should that amount be for each free agent added?

3) any other issues that may come up or suggestions to make this league better.

This will be a 12 team league. Head to head points league. Each week you have 2 games. We will have 2 openings in the league if anyone is interested in joining let me know
tvaldivi
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Need Advice on New Rules

Postby Jaydeesox » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:03 am

This is similar to our league. We found it best not to use an online league site. We are old fashion pen and paper (or my favorite Excel). I am in my second year of this league so I don't have any in depth knowledge on improvements but there hasn't been anyone leaving the league unless there is a major personal issue since it started in the 90s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jaydeesox
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need Advice on New Rules

Postby fast dogs » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:37 am

I think most leagues use a slightly higher cap in-season.
I'd make free agent adds $5-10 next season to keep. To me having a Trout type player and have a $1 or $2 price tag early in his career does a league more harm than good. Auction leagues are ideal if you have owners with the same basic knowledge and interest. It doesn't take long for the sharp owners to assemble great low priced teams and leave weaker owners with the franchise in shambles. Having values go up every 5 years certainly helps, and prevents star rookies from having super contracts. Keeping an auction league competitive is something to keep in mind when setting up the rules. The # of keepers really isn't a huge issue; the good contracts get kept and the rest don't.
What is going to end up happening is guys with expiring contracts are going to get traded for next to nothing to contending teams. Your cap will help but it'll still make for some ugly trades
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Re: Need Advice on New Rules

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:36 pm

tvaldivi wrote:We have an existing league that we are modifying and basically starting over. We want to convert the league into an auction salary keeper league and thus I am beginning to write the new constitution.

Here is the basic premise for our league: $260.00 salary auction with the same $260.00 in season cap. Off season cap of $100.00. At the end of the 1st year of owning a player each player be kept on a 1 year deal with a $5 increase or a 3 year deal with a $5 increase each year. If you choose the 1 year option then that player must be dropped after the following season and will be available in the auction. If you choose the 3 year deal a penalty will be enforced for dropping them early.

You can't have an in season cap of $260 also. That would mean all trades would have to be exactly dollar for dollar and that is impossible. Make your in season $290.

A few questions I have:

1) do you foresee any problems with this structure in terms of too few or too many people being kept?

2) what do you do about waivers? Cbs doesn't allow a system where you can bid on a player and the price you bid is what you have them for on your roster. Do we just have a waiver system where each person added is a certain amount? For example $2? What should that amount be for each free agent added?

You can use the FAAB and the winning bid is what their salary is. You then as Commish have to go in and input the salary next to the players name. Use the FAAB, not waivers.

3) any other issues that may come up or suggestions to make this league better.

This will be a 12 team league. Head to head points league. Each week you have 2 games. We will have 2 openings in the league if anyone is interested in joining let me know
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Return to Commissioner's Corner