Fantrax or ESPN? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Fantrax or ESPN?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantrax or ESPN?

Postby JavyOne » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:37 pm

This is my second year doing Fantasy Baseball and we decided that we wanted to turn the league into a keeper league. The plan is to draft an all new team and then turn it into a keeper league at the end of the season. I want to know what the best free site is to use for the league. Fantrax or ESPN? I'm leaning towards Fantrax a lot though mainly because I don't like how ESPN makes us draft the keepers with our first picks.

It is a 10 team, H2H Points league with 5 keepers. I actually browsed the forums here and found settings that I really liked:

Keeper Settings:
5 Keepers with 5 Contracts(5 year, 4 year, etc.)
Scoring:
viewtopic.php?t=453631

However, I am new to this and I do have questions that I would like answered.
First off we are doing snake draft to start, but at the end I plan on doing serpentine so the lower ranked teams have a shot next year. My question is since(assuming I use Fantrax), how do I set up the draft for next year? How do I set up the draft order so the last placed teams don't throw away their season to get the first round pick? I am not using a money penalty so I need another option.

Another is(again assuming I use Fantrax), is there a way I can make playoffs 2 weeks per matchup? Or is that something I would have to request from them? I really like that idea.

Last question has to do with the contracts. Since I won't be using premium on Fantrax, I will manually keep in charge of the contracts of the players. What penalties should be enforced when it has to do with players under contract? I haven't made any rules/laws yet and would like your guys' input.

Thanks!
JavyOne
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fantrax or ESPN?

Postby floppymoose » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:01 am

Yahoo supports having the keepers being slotted in either at the beginning of the draft or the end, if that helps.
floppymoose
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigmck » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:03 pm

Since this is only your second year, I think you are getting a bit complicated on your league. You can have Keepers, but don't do contracts. I think that will take away a lot of your fun. ESPN supports Keepers and you can fix your draft order pretty much like you want. It does not have a column for contracts or salaries. If you want to keep the contracts on a spreadsheet, you could do that. I just think that is a lot of work for now.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby jdouble777 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Fantrax, period, IMO they are exceptional
jdouble777
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby smaterthantheaverage » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:03 am

Another big vote for Fantrax, You will have Year round access and a full selection of Minor players. They offer slow live drafts, a league chat client, and very nice league customization.
smaterthantheaverage
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 12)

Postby chadtvan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:30 pm

fantrax. More options than anyone. Good customer service.
chadtvan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 13)

Return to Commissioner's Corner