Draft Chatter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2014 Cafeholics Pond Scum

Draft Chatter

Moderator: ayebatter

Re: Draft Chatter

Postby BChinly » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:41 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:True . I don't wanna handcuff. Just hope for three closers. Worse case. Two with two RPs that equal a limited but effective sp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to hate or anything. I really love Melancon. I just wish Brothers were a righty
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Draft Chatter

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Nah I understand. . I coulda went with a mediocre sp. 4 era and 1.5 whip . I will take. 140 innings of 3 and 1.2 with good k/ 9. Plus, some saves

DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:51 pm

BChinly wrote:Well you have a different circumstance there... either Melancon and and Brothers matched with Hawkins and Grilli are way better than a Feliz and Soria combo...

Yeah, sure, but those guys are still valuable more for their vulture saves and next-in-line status. When I say great I'm talking more about vintage Clippard or Robertson, or maybe a shade less than that so as not to set my sights too high. In my case I'll p[robably be able to drop one or the other right away (or early, anyway) and not feel bad, and that has it's benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of rostering next-in-line guys, but often not because they're a huge help with ratios and Ks. On a related note, I agree that a Soria/Feliz combo is pretty yawnstipating outside the saves. :-b
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ayebatter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:23 pm

Sorry but without any bench spots I don't see relief arms without saves being of much value.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 pm

ayebatter wrote:Sorry but without any bench spots I don't see relief arms without saves being of much value.

No? In a some cases I'd rather have a guy like Clippard sitting there doing good things in small amounts rather than a late round starting turd mucking up my ratios from the get go. That MR is still filler, but the very top tier of them are filler that actually does some good if they stay on your roster for a while while you wait for waiver wire gold. Plus those guys do get vulture saves for sometimes too.

The better my pitching staff the more likely I am to go the non-closer, non-handcuff MR route with a last or second last round pick (instead of a shaky flier on a SP of some sort).
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby BChinly » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:57 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:
ayebatter wrote:Sorry but without any bench spots I don't see relief arms without saves being of much value.

No? In a some cases I'd rather have a guy like Clippard sitting there doing good things in small amounts rather than a late round starting turd mucking up my ratios from the get go. That MR is still filler, but the very top tier of them are filler that actually does some good if they stay on your roster for a while while you wait for waiver wire gold. Plus those guys do get vulture saves for sometimes too.

The better my pitching staff the more likely I am to go the non-closer, non-handcuff MR route with a last or second last round pick (instead of a shaky flier on a SP of some sort).

It's going to be tough to keep up in Ks and Ws. I only took 3 closers because I'm banking on Darvish to deliver another 250+K season.
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:41 am

The Kershaw/Darvish combo opens the door to potentially dominate K's, so three RPs make total sense. In your case you got three good ones, who should rack up saves and post above average K rates. Wins are going to be the tricky category to keep up in, so long as starters 3-6 can manage 12 wins a piece.

Everyone else taking middle relievers I would prey for outstanding K rates and ratios. Last year Jansen was about the only MR going before the later closers. I don't see another potential Jansen out there right now though, so I'd be leery of taking a Melancon type, especially having to endure his disastrous stint with the Sox a few years back.

My goal is to typically grab two strong K rate closers, who can contribute 150+ K's and then use my 9th pitching spot as either an extra potential save block or spot starter. I like getting Crain this late, it should allow me some flexibility with what I want to do in week 1 when I put him on my DL, and when he comes back I should have an opportunity at gaining a third closer who should post decent stats.

I do feel for anyone without a closer right now, but if two or three teams will be tanking saves i felt it was more important to hop on a potential third closer, so that I don't rely too much on luck to keep me up in the saves standings. Especially in a league like this where any freshly minted closer in season will get a high number of bids and eat up FAAB
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:00 pm

I see Beachy and Medlen are staring at their second TJ surgeries. Who the heck do the Braves use for their surgeon? :-o
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Draft Chatter

Postby DaShiz23 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:45 pm

If I can get 450-500+ ABs outta Rugg, then I feel I got a nice steal for my last pick. Feel a lil short on SB, but overall the O looks good

DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:14 am

Boom, Santana to the Braves!
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor