Draft Chatter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2014 Cafeholics Pond Scum

Draft Chatter

Moderator: ayebatter

Re: Draft Chatter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:45 am

Fenris-77 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I don't know, Aybar is pretty meh-ticulously meh. He hits for no power, he doesn't walk enough, and he won't hit leadoff (he's more of a #8/9). Aybar isn't a particularly speedy runner and so, all you'll expect from him is 10 SB, 15 tops.

Not saying this part of the draft isn't bereft of "meh" at all. Aybar is just a stopgap MI for the most part.

I think that a lot depends on what kind of team you're drafting him on to. If you've been conservative with AVG and don't need another 80R run guy in the mid-200's then yeah, sure, he's meh. On the other hand, if you've taken some chances on low AVG guys, probably to bump you're power stats, then a guy who's going to hit .275-.280 plus provided reasonable speed is probably more enticing than just 'meh'. I`ll grant that he`s a very Prado kind of player, and those dudes arent sexy, but I wouldnt say meh either.

I don't disagree. I had Aybar in n00bs last year among a couple of other MI and C stopgaps, positions in which I could have fared off worse. Just that when people think "meh", they're also thinking on the same wavelengths of boring, uninspiring, but somehow useful and effective in a David Eckstein-ish kind of way.

So, yeah, meh. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:56 am

Izenhart wrote:That's kind of how I planned things, getting good avg guys late. Speed seems to be going 3-4 rounds earlier than I anticipated in this draft tho. Hamilton is looking like a round 5 stud at this point to me. %-6

Speed is a relatively scarce commodity, at least speedsters who don't hurt you elsewhere.

I actually think taking Billy Hamilton that early makes sense, depending on your team's first four picks. Even if it's a boom-or-bust decision, you just have to add one more 30 SB guy, and you don't have to worry about drafting for speed. I wound up having to take one or two additional picks to crack 120-130 SB in Masters, picks I thought could have been allocated to meet different needs.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:36 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Izenhart wrote:That's kind of how I planned things, getting good avg guys late. Speed seems to be going 3-4 rounds earlier than I anticipated in this draft tho. Hamilton is looking like a round 5 stud at this point to me. %-6

Speed is a relatively scarce commodity, at least speedsters who don't hurt you elsewhere.

I actually think taking Billy Hamilton that early makes sense, depending on your team's first four picks. Even if it's a boom-or-bust decision, you just have to add one more 30 SB guy, and you don't have to worry about drafting for speed. I wound up having to take one or two additional picks to crack 120-130 SB in Masters, picks I thought could have been allocated to meet different needs.

This is my exact thought process. I did countless variations of what my team would look like based on my projections and draft position and every one of them heavily relied on getting Hamilton in round 5 or 6. I've never been so miffed at getting sniped in all my life. People saying he's a round 8ish target who think he has a shot to fail as a leadoff hitter couldn't be more wrong. Time will tell I guess, but I would be SHOCKED if Hamilton doesn't succeed and push 100 steals.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:44 am

Izenhart wrote:

Time will tell I guess, but I would be SHOCKED if Hamilton doesn't succeed and push 100 steals.

You are dreaming.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:07 am

ayebatter wrote:
Izenhart wrote:

Time will tell I guess, but I would be SHOCKED if Hamilton doesn't succeed and push 100 steals.

You are dreaming.

revisit this thread in september and see how wrong i am. ;-)
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CyboNinja » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:22 am

Izenhart wrote:17.13 Rajai Davis, OF, DET

Damnit Izzy! I was planning on grabbing Rajai on the turn to complete my Davis trifecta!
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 96)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 am

CyboNinja wrote:

Damnit Izzy! I was planning on grabbing Rajai on the turn to complete my Davis trifecta!

all my crying about missing steals should have given you a hint to pick him now :-b
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rvthd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:36 am

Izenhart wrote:
CyboNinja wrote:

all my crying about missing steals should have given you a hint to pick him now :-b

Good pickup, especially with the Andy Dirks news..was hoping Davis would come back to me.
rvthd
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 150)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 am

rvthd wrote:
Izenhart wrote:
CyboNinja wrote:Damnit Izzy! I was planning on grabbing Rajai on the turn to complete my Davis trifecta!

Good pickup, especially with the Andy Dirks news..was hoping Davis would come back to me.

thanks rv. sometimes timing is everything.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ayebatter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:41 am

Izenhart wrote:
rvthd wrote:
Izenhart wrote:

thanks rv. sometimes timing is everything.

I blame Cybo if he hadn't taken Hunter you would have taken him and I would have taken Raj .
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Cafeholics Pond Scum