Draft Chatter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2014 Cafeholics Pond Scum

Draft Chatter

Moderator: ayebatter

Re: Draft Chatter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:07 am

I remember Loveable Losers a few years back carried out the 2 SP in first 2 rounds strategy. I don't remember how he fared, but at best he was mid-table. I'll dig through the archives.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:15 am

BChinly wrote:
jfg wrote:
Izenhart wrote:
top 5 teams according to my completely meaningless projections during an incomplete draft:

Rance
jfg
rvthd
Gardner
DaShiz

Pretty close to mine except for Dashiz who is near the bottom.

Where am I at? with my unconventional 2 pitchers and 2 catchers in my first 6 picks? :-o

Right outside the top 5, you were a bottom feeder for a long time but have bounced back.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:16 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:I remember Loveable Losers a few years back carried out the 2 SP in first 2 rounds strategy. I don't remember how he fared, but at best he was mid-table. I'll dig through the archives.

Yup, the 2010 Masters:

viewtopic.php?t=400082#p3190139

He finished 12th (15 teams). :-b

IMO, it's easier to work around a Kershaw-Darvish strategy this year than in prior years. (It was really easy to build around pitching last year with so many undervalued hitters.) I was thinking of playing that same card if Kershaw slipped to me in Masters, but I would not have done the 2 C strategy though.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BChinly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:18 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I remember Loveable Losers a few years back carried out the 2 SP in first 2 rounds strategy. I don't remember how he fared, but at best he was mid-table. I'll dig through the archives.

Yup, the 2010 Masters:

IMO, it's easier to work around a Kershaw-Darvish strategy this year than in prior years. (It was really easy to build around pitching last year with so many undervalued hitters.) I was thinking of playing that same card if Kershaw slipped to me in Masters, but I would not have done the 2 C strategy though.

I figured I could take 3 closers and be fine on Ks with it as well. Honestly I took them because of how you dominated last year, but you did get Chris David last year too
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:31 am

BChinly wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

Yup, the 2010 Masters:

I figured I could take 3 closers and be fine on Ks with it as well. Honestly I took them because of how you dominated last year, but you did get Chris David last year too

I was an idiot for not believing in Goldschmidt and took Zimmerman in Round 4, FWIW. Otherwise, I would have had CarGo and Goldschmidt as my first 2 hitters; Kershaw and Felix my first two starters. :-b

I also managed to get Scherzer and Bailey later, so I don't believe I would've dominated if I didn't have those bargains either. Plus, I had Rios and Soriano and found gold with all my closers. Of course, I found the mother of all gems in Chris Davis too.

It's trickier to find all those undervalued hitters this season for the Kershaw-Darvish strategy though.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:36 am

I haven't been using Yoda's drafttracker as a resource to make my picks, but I have been updating our picks in it to see how it stacks up to what it says about my projections since my projections will always put my team on top. Here's what Drafttracker says so far up to the current pick:

1. jfg
2. rvthd
3. bchinly
4. gardner
5. tie: Rance/cubsfan
7. Havok
8. lane
9. cyboninja
10. izenhart
11. dannahan
12. tie: Fenris/Ys Guy
14. tie: dashiz/ayebatter

Lots of draft to go though, these rankings will change a lot especially when teams start picking their personal sleepers/prospects and category killers.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:55 am

Draftbuddy is good for using different projection systems or a mix of projections; the default setting only uses baseline projections though. I'm using that along with Draft Tracker for following along in Masters.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby ayebatter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:11 am

jfg wrote:I haven't been using Yoda's drafttracker as a resource to make my picks, but I have been updating our picks in it to see how it stacks up to what it says about my projections since my projections will always put my team on top. Here's what Drafttracker says so far up to the current pick:

1. jfg
2. rvthd
3. bchinly
4. gardner
5. tie: Rance/cubsfan
7. Havok
8. lane
9. cyboninja
10. izenhart
11. dannahan
12. tie: Fenris/Ys Guy
14. tie: dashiz/ayebatter

Lots of draft to go though, these rankings will change a lot especially when teams start picking their personal sleepers/prospects and category killers.

Lies all lies and false presumptions taken on faulty data - GIGO :^
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:21 am

Harper (7) / Puig (14) / Myers (28) I have ranked miles ahead of most projections systems. Same goes for Cingrani (66) Abreu (69) and strangely Napoli (105). I'm fine with that though, otherwise I would have never been able to get them all. OFC my projections show me near the top even lacking steals (scours at BChinly). Whats the fun of drafting a team based on someone elses opinion anyway :-)

Also, Asdrubal is 28 and coming off a year he battled nagging injuries. I'm on his bounceback bandwagon.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby BChinly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 am

Izenhart wrote:Harper (7) / Puig (14) / Myers (28) I have ranked miles ahead of most projections systems. Same goes for Cingrani (66) Abreu (69) and strangely Napoli (105). I'm fine with that though, otherwise I would have never been able to get them all. OFC my projections show me near the top even lacking steals (scours at BChinly). Whats the fun of drafting a team based on someone elses opinion anyway :-)

Also, Asdrubal is 28 and coming off a year he battled nagging injuries. I'm on his bounceback bandwagon.

I love the combo of Carpenter and Hamilton too much :D. Hopefully it'll bring me to the top in steals and runs
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Cafeholics Pond Scum