Draft Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to 2014 Cafeholics Masters

Draft Discussion

Moderators: wrveres, kaiser, chris8

Re: Draft Discussion

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 pm

I live in St. Louis, Missouri. I can get to Busch Stadium in about 6 minutes.

I have also lived in Chicago, Boston, LA, and Vegas after high school but I was born and raised in St. Louis and came back 5 years ago when I was 25.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Born in Montreal but grew up and now live in Toronto.
Lucky for us we get stifling heat in the summer and several feet of snow at a time in the winter.

Recently been to the US West Coast, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Savannah, Washington DC. Love the west coast, Seattle, Frisco and LA. Of the big cities Chicago is by far my favourite but hosts the worst marathon. Georgia is gorgeous, best place in the south.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby ironman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:29 pm

kaiser wrote:Yes, the difference is that in Wisconsin, they have snow plows and people have tire chains.

We have very little of either here.

The funny thing is that everyone says that Atlanta drivers don't know how to drive in the snow. There is a bit of truth to that, but the reality is that Atlanta is a very transient city, and a very large portion of our population is from the north. Very few people who live in Atlanta have lived here all their lives, or even for a long time.

It is not that people don't know how to drive in the snow, it is that the city does not have the capability of properly treating the roads or the experience of dealing with major winter weather like cities in cold climates do.

On the other hand, Atlanta can handle the heat much better than those other cities. For example, I recall a few years ago in Chicago, when temps starting reaching into the 100's, people started dying all over the city. That doesn't happen here.

Yeah, it's all relative. And even here people get stupid with winter weather. If we have an impending snowstorm people will freak out and buy a bunch of groceries like they're gonna be snowed in like The Shining. Worst case scenario you're stuck at home for a day before everything gets plowed out. You don't need 8 loaves of bread maam.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby ironman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:33 pm

Anyway, I'm from Iowa. Born and raised in Cedar Rapids I now live in Dubuque, which is situated on the Mississippi River across the border from where the SW corner of Wisconsin and the NW corner of Illinois meet. I love it here and never care to live anywhere else. I'm about 3 hours from Chicago or Milwaukee, 1.5 hours from Madison and 20 minutes from the Field of Dreams.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kaiser » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:39 pm

ironman wrote:
Yeah, it's all relative. And even here people get stupid with winter weather. If we have an impending snowstorm people will freak out and buy a bunch of groceries like they're gonna be snowed in like The Shining. Worst case scenario you're stuck at home for a day before everything gets plowed out. You don't need 8 loaves of bread maam.

That made me think of a meme I saw that said "Keep calm and eat your milk sandwich."
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby ironman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kaiser » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:13 pm

That's the one. Couldn't find it online, so I could't figure out how to post it here.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:25 pm

I was born and raised in LA. I live in the SF Bay Area now. SF is an interesting place, but I'll always prefer LA. SF just about edges it in side trips and weekend getaways though (Monterey/Big Sur, Napa Valley, Yosemite).

I love to travel, especially around Europe.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby kaiser » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Man, do I love San Francisco. Most of my family is in Northern California, from Half Moon Bay, to SF, Sausalito, Santa Rosa and Sacramento. Love visiting, but I've never lived there.

I've been in Atlanta for 35 years, but also have lived in Gloucester, Massachusetts and Chicago, along with two years I spent living on an aircraft carrier out of Norfolk, VA when I was in the Navy.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:44 pm

kaiser wrote:Man, do I love San Francisco. Most of my family is in Northern California, from Half Moon Bay, to SF, Sausalito, Santa Rosa and Sacramento. Love visiting, but I've never lived there.

I've been in Atlanta for 35 years, but also have lived in Gloucester, Massachusetts and Chicago, along with two years I spent living on an aircraft carrier out of Norfolk, VA when I was in the Navy.

I love SF too, actually at the same level as LA. There's a higher density of picturesque landmarks, world class museums, excellent restaurants, and it's relatively easy to navigate through all of it by public transit or taxi.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Cafeholics Masters