Winter Olympics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Winter Olympics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Looking objectively, you are the exception and not the norm. Historically, the Olympics have no positive effect on the ratings of the NHL. I understand that you live in Canada so you are looking at this from another side. In the US, it's been all about front running. Every Facebook post was about Team USA, until they got eliminated. Then, it was back to normal. I wonder how many of those additional 40K Twitter followers of Oshie will keep watching. I'd say not many.

Imagine if the Barclays or the Serie A tried to stop their players from playing in the World Cup or the Euro. There would be a riot.

It was all about team canada up here as well but real fans also followed their teams players on their national teams. Sports radio here was following the few leafs in the tourney and their was a lot of pride in Kessel being named top forward. It must have been awesome for hawks fans to watch 6 of their guys playing today.

The game should be bigger than the league. This isn't a regional sport like the NFL this is trying to be international. The Olympics are good for the sport and good for real hockey fans. It's not good for the owners but f them. Still for the true fan nothing will top the playoffs.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Looking objectively, you are the exception and not the norm. Historically, the Olympics have no positive effect on the ratings of the NHL. I understand that you live in Canada so you are looking at this from another side. In the US, it's been all about front running. Every Facebook post was about Team USA, until they got eliminated. Then, it was back to normal. I wonder how many of those additional 40K Twitter followers of Oshie will keep watching. I'd say not many.

I also have to say that your team showed surprisingly little heart in that bronze medal game. Our boys would have been roasted in the press if they did that.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:03 pm

It's just awesome to see elite athletes play against each other at a high, competitive level. You never get to see that in American sports like you do in sports around the world and I think that's what makes it special and it would be a shame if the NHL stopped sending it's players. The NHL is terrible, hockey however is a pretty fun sport to watch. You can say that the NHL doesn't gain much from the Olympics, but I think taking away their players would be another boneheaded move that draws more fans away from their league and possibly some more of their players as well.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:54 pm

meh it's every 4 years I think think the owners will win out and the players will enjoy getting paid to play in the NHL, the fans...for the most part they have short memories they'll get over it and enjoy the non NHL players in the olympics like they always have
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:06 am

ayebatter wrote:meh it's every 4 years I think think the owners will win out and the players will enjoy getting paid to play in the NHL, the fans...for the most part they have short memories they'll get over it and enjoy the non NHL players in the olympics like they always have

Don Fehr was at today's press conference regarding NHL participation in Korea. This tells me that the players are having their say from the start and we know that they want to go. The site after Korea will likely be in North America and they will certainly want to participate over here so I think that it's unlikely that they will skip Korea. The canadian controlled NHLPA will make sure of it.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Previous

Return to General Talk