Winter Olympics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Winter Olympics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm

I wasn't able to watch the game today but, from what I've been told, Canada played great and Quick was the difference between 1-0 and 5-0.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I wasn't able to watch the game today but, from what I've been told, Canada played great and Quick was the difference between 1-0 and 5-0.

It was pretty evenly matched I just don't recall the US getting any scoring chances. Kessel was the only threat but he had not support on his rushes...none could keep up with him and he was easily bottled up. The Canadians didn't get a lot of great chances either but had the puck in the US end a lot and got a lot more shots. Quick was good. Looked more like a 2-0 game. Take away the nerves and it was a pretty boring game.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Mission accomplished! 4 for 4 in the most important sports. Looking back this will probably be considered the best team ever assembled. They beat the second, third and fourth place teams and went undefeated in the tournament giving up only 3 goals in 6 games. They we're just dominant today. Man I hope the NHL participates in S Korea.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:53 pm

Man I hope the NHL participates in S Korea.

Trying to remain objective, do you think that's a good idea? I love Olympic hockey but don't like the way the season gets shut down for 3 weeks. We're seeing the impact that injuries to key players can have.

Clearly, I have a different perspective on this but I'm wondering what you think.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ayebatter » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:58 pm

I don't believe the owners like it much and wouldn't be surprised to see it end here.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:12 pm

ayebatter wrote:I don't believe the owners like it much and wouldn't be surprised to see it end here.

The owners never have. It's pretty much been the players that want to go. Unfortunately for the NHL, there's not much that you can do when guys like Ovechkin say that there's no fine large enough to stop him from going.
Lofunzo

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:24 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

Trying to remain objective, do you think that's a good idea? I love Olympic hockey but don't like the way the season gets shut down for 3 weeks. We're seeing the impact that injuries to key players can have.

Clearly, I have a different perspective on this but I'm wondering what you think.

The break is good IMO. Also Garth snow is an idiot. Sure Tavares got injured but fewer NHL players get hurt during the olympic break than during three weeks of regular season. I would rather have my star player play on the big ice than be chased around Boston garden by Colton Orr or brad marchant.

IMO the only way the NHL doesn't participate in Korea is if tha World Cup is a success and that is terrible hockey and nobody cares about it in canada.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

The break is good IMO. Also Garth snow is an idiot. Sure Tavares got injured but fewer NHL players get hurt during the olympic break than during three weeks of regular season. I would rather have my star player play on the big ice than be chased around Boston garden by Colton Orr or brad marchant.

IMO the only way the NHL doesn't participate in Korea is if tha World Cup is a success and that is terrible hockey and nobody cares about it in canada.

The latter is the problem that I see, along with the IOC not wanting to put hockey in the summer olympics.

The difference that I see in injuries is that, if Tavares got hurt in Boston, at least he got hurt playing for the Islanders. It has to be tough to swallow watching your best player play for someone else and go down for the season, especially when he was basically a 4th liner. The insurance that the NHL took out for this stuff doesn't soften the blow that much.
Lofunzo

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:43 pm

The players love it and the fans love seeing their country play as well as seeing their home town guys playing for their country. I'm not crazy about the Kings but I'm a huge Kopitar fan after seeing him put Austria on his back and will them to a strong performance. I would go out and buy a Kopitar Kings jersey just because of the past three weeks. In fact I think that I'm going to ask for one for my birthday.

So real hockey fans on Long Island are going to understand. They know that he could just as well have gotten hurt at Joe Louis or crossing the street. They are probably proud that he played a role on a gold medal winning team.

As a habs fan I wasn't thrilled about Max playing for the US when he was clearly injured and needed to rest up but I was proud that our guy made the US team and happy that he had the character to suck it up and play hard for his country.

What it comes down to is that injuries happen no matter what they are doing and injuries at the Olympics are acceptable. It s not acceptable is they get injured snowmobiling on the break. The regular season is too long anyways that that is all due to the owners greed so they can stand to lose a few weeks of the dog days of the season. The Olympics take a back seat tot the playoffs but are clearly superior to the reg season and as a fan I would be really pissed if the owners got in the way of this great hockey. The greedy bastards should shorten the season by three weeks every year. If they were really concerned about yah health of their players and the quality of the game they would do that right now.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Looking objectively, you are the exception and not the norm. Historically, the Olympics have no positive effect on the ratings of the NHL. I understand that you live in Canada so you are looking at this from another side. In the US, it's been all about front running. Every Facebook post was about Team USA, until they got eliminated. Then, it was back to normal. I wonder how many of those additional 40K Twitter followers of Oshie will keep watching. I'd say not many.
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk