DAILY VS. WEEKLY LINEUPS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

DAILY VS. WEEKLY LINEUPS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DAILY VS. WEEKLY LINEUPS

Postby lambo1203 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Someone please help me out here. This is the age-old debate of weekly lineups vs. daily lineups. I know there's a ton of pros and cons about both, but in my opinion, in a league where half our players travel weekly, several work weird hours and two others are in classes all the time, it makes it tough to have any reason to do daily lineups.

So, has anyone done any research or read anything that shows that in a H2H points league, using daily lineups is based (even more so than normal) on LUCK, not actual skill, and takes the point of a draft and makes it moot?

One owner in our league (who has finished last in every weekly league he's played in the last three years, yet won 2 daily leagues) insists that daily takes more skill, and my league mates and I are in some serious need of extra stats to shut him up completely.
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: DAILY VS. WEEKLY LINEUPS

Postby RedTiger » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Daily leagues take a different type of skill, yes, but one that requires a bigger time commitment. Weekly lineups and transactions evens the playing field.

Obviously if many owners work weird hours or can't check every day, the guy who checks every day will have an advantage.

I would like to know how active the rest of the owners were in his 2 daily leagues.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby lambo1203 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:17 pm

RedTiger wrote:
I would like to know how active the rest of the owners were in his 2 daily leagues.

According to him, they were "moderately" active owners, which sounds like what my leagues' owners would be like.
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Brainstorm » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:45 pm

Personally can't stand weekly lineups. Nothing drives me crazier than setting a lineup and watching a player get hurt Monday night unable to make any changes for the next week. If you think owners can handle daily changes, I would 100% do it. If this is more casual, then do weekly.

Your best bet as commish would be to have teams vote. Make sure you get 2/3 vote to change it, whatever it is(sounds like right now you have daily). So pose it to the rest of the league and see what they say. If it's split, keep it.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby fast dogs » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:42 am

the luck part of it comes into play on injuries that happen early in the week in weekly leagues; but even that tends to even out over the course of the year. Clearly your league with guys having a busy schedule you should stick with the weekly league. Daily leagues are won by guys making 2 or 3 adds and drops every day when other owners have other concerns. There is nothing better than a large league where everyone has the time and energy to make the daily moves and spend the hours to look for daily matchups and offdays. These kinds of leagues are fun and time consuming but you really need all or most of the league that wants that. clearly your league does not.you can't shut him up, you can tell him this is a weekly league and he can play in daily leagues elsewhere but here we're playing weekly
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby dfa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 am

I would do a league poll, but honestly daily leagues are too much work and are a lot less fun IMO.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:14 am

I prefer daily leagues but play in 2 weeklys ( a CBS Dynasty, The NFBC) and even 1 biweekly (AL Only no pickups).

You could make cases for either I find in general:

Weekly is better if you have a lot of folks that are "busy" or perhaps some newer more casual folks who arent ready for that grind

Daily is better for the more hardcore who can make some time (and all these Apps and what not help a lot with that on the go) to make those updates constantly

Each one of those in not mutually exclusive to the other. Plenty of hardcore daily junkies in those weekly leagues as well and certianly cant paint it black and white.

In the end just go with whats best for your league as a whole.

As far as luck vs skill comparing them, there are plenty of strategies to enact in either format and sometimes that argument is based on personal bias or personal success rate.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby HTown14 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:06 am

I think, as others have said, it just depends on how active the owners are in your league. Weekly leagues require less maintenance, if you don't have much time to spend on it. Dailies require a lot more work, but team performance is more closely related to how much effort you put in.
HTown14
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 6)

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:06 pm

There is a happy medium between the two. Do a daily league, but do it with a minimum number of roster changes so that the busy guys are not at a great disadvantage. My leagues do a max of five each week, but you could do less for your busy guys.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Return to Commissioner's Corner