anyone have exprience with extended drafts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

anyone have exprience with extended drafts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

anyone have exprience with extended drafts?

Postby rosco101663 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:36 pm

Does anyone have experience with online, extended drafts (CBS)?
With 1 to 2 minute time limits to pick, we've had owners miss their picks due to their computers "timing out" etc...
Extended sounds better, but I'm wondering how it works. Can I set the draft hours to be active / inactive? For example, what happens when it gets late...does auto draft kick in, or???
We have a 16 team league, with 22 man rosters. I'm thinking 45 minute time limit. I'd like to set the hours each day, but I don't know if that's how it will work (late afternoon start to evening finish).

Appreciate any hints you could give me.

Dan
rosco101663@yahoo.com
rosco101663
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: anyone have exprience with extended drafts?

Postby TomS31 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Extended draft on CBS allows you to set an end date with no time limits. So one owner can be up and draft in 5 hours the next in 5 minutes.
You can choose to set no auto pick so that doesn't happen. Hope that helps.
TomS31
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 8)

Postby rosco101663 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks,
do you know if I will be able to set the hours of operation each day? I'm assuming we won't be drafting at 3 a.m. ??? There must be a point where the window closes each day, correct?

Thanks for your help.
rosco101663
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TomS31 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:09 pm

There is no window. If someone wants to draft at 3am they can. You just want to finish by the end date you provide when setting it up.
I wouldn't think you would wan to set a window. Let people draft off hours if they want it will just speed things up.
TomS31
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigmck » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:27 pm

What I have done is have an extended draft with email. Each person gets 24 hours to make his pick. When a person makes a pick, he sends everyone an email of the pick and says that "Joe Blow" is now on the clock. Everyone just needs to check the email once a day to see where the picks are. Owners do not always take 24 hours for a pick. It could go a lot faster, but everyone still has 24 hours to make a pick so an owner only needs to check the email once a day to see if he is close to his turn.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby brokenbricks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:31 pm

Yes, you can have an period the draft "pauses". I am not 100% familiar with this but I know in the one I did the draft goes from 8am - 11pm. I am guessing people can make picks after this but there is no clock or counter. But this can be set within CBS.

rosco101663 wrote:Thanks,
do you know if I will be able to set the hours of operation each day? I'm assuming we won't be drafting at 3 a.m. ??? There must be a point where the window closes each day, correct?

Thanks for your help.
brokenbricks
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 6)

Postby fast dogs » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:25 pm

we have been doing extended drafts for 12 years on cbs using commish product, you can turn off the timer from 11 pm to 8 am(or whatever you want) everyday if you want, it works great. the problem you are going to have is the 45 minutes thing between picks. basically everyone would have to be ready to pick every hour all day long. you have something important during the work day when your pick comes up, you miss out. we use 18 hours between picks and most years no one uses more than 5 or 6 hours.it takes 8 or 9 days to do 21 rounds. it doesn't sound like this is what to do but I also don't think you can have less than 3 or 4 hours between picks and even then your whole league would really have to be flexible for several days in a row with access to the draft room all day long. what we've found to be very helpful is communicating when we won't be around or leaving commish a short list for a pick when they know they won't be avail for a while. even then there is alot of down time waiting for someones little league practice to end or a meeting to get over. I have more advice and info if you want, but I think you need to take a look at how long you set the timer for and finding a day everyone can pick all day long(like a weekend) but with so many busy lives we've never found such a day yet. If everyone sets aside a Saturday and Sunday maybe you can pull it off, but even that seems unlikely to me which is why we've gone to the slow draft
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby rosco101663 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks for the input!!!

And players do get an email notifying them when it is their turn, correct?
Dan
rosco101663
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fast dogs » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:47 pm

correct. and you can back out picks if someone makes a mistake using a phone which seems to happen more often in a slow draft
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:18 am

I do 2 extended drafts every year

1) A CBS Dynasty draft to fill roster after all the keepers. We allow a 24 hour window per pick. Very rarely does anyone take close to that amount of time but it is there just in case someone gets tied up with something as a failsafe. Draft rounds vary on roster size but generally like 11-17 rounds over a couple weeks
2) NFBC Draft Champions. Allows 8 hours for 15 teams to make 50 picks. A few times someone will let the time run out and go auto. Happens pretty fast, sometimes there is some research going on while on the clock for a while because theres no trades or pickups and high stakes.

CBS has a lot of user friendly tools to assist with the slow draft process as others have pointed out.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner