Yahoo and Minor League Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo and Minor League Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo and Minor League Help

Postby Hoyas1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:18 pm

I run a decent size free league with a small minor league system. We use yahoo, but, because of their lack of minor league roster we must keep the minor league players separate. Every year we have owners that pick up players that have been recently promoted but on another owners minor league roster. Even though we remind them time and time again to look at our posted rosters the promoted minor leaguers get picked off of waivers.

This year Yahoo has touted a much larger database of minor league players.

But, the problem is, it seems the only way to roster them is with their "NA" position.

I just looked into the Yahoo settings for their NA position and believe this could cause more confusion and problems for our league. From Yahoo's website:

Things to remember when stashing players on NA
Once in the NA roster spot, a player can stay there for the entire season, even if they return to real-life action -- but once they've been activated by their MLB team, you won't be able to complete any transactions involving adding a player to your team until you remove them from your team's NA.

So, the trouble will be, if we use NA slots for our minors, that a prospect will loose their "NA" status if they are called up to the majors and Yahoo will not let the team make any adds/drops while they are in a NA slot.

For example, the owner of Mark Appel has him on the NA roster and he is called up. The owner does not want to bring Appel to his roster yet because he is under the 50 IP minimum and is pitching in relief. That owner will not be able to drop or add any other player while Appel is on his NA roster!

Also, minor leaguers that are under our minimums but active on a MLB team will not have "NA" status and therefore, not able to be placed in a "NA" slot.

This does not seem be a good option for keeper or dynasty leagues.

Most of our owners are unwilling to move to a different system that is more friendly to our leagues set up.

Any suggestions on how we can work our minor league roster on Yahoo? Thanks in advance.
Hoyas1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo and Minor League Help

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:18 am

Honestly, I don't understand what the problem is. All the dynasty leagues I've been in (on Yahoo), GMs have been informed enough to know which prospects are owned and which are not. And if they don't, there's a readily available resource for them to go to and check.

So either you really have bum GMs who aren't dynasty league material, or despite what you said, your posted MiLB rosters aren't conducive to in-season checking. Unless you some GoogleDrive spreadsheet or something, I suggest having the rosters up on a ProBoards forum - ready to be checked at any point during the year.

Forget about the NA slots; I play in Yahoo and could care less about how they will contribute to my dynasty leagues (they don't). Leave the prospects on the Free Agency pool as before; the NA slots just make things more complicated.
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Re: Yahoo and Minor League Help

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 pm

This is no different than how the DL slot operates. If you draft a hurt player with the intention of putting him on the DL and picking up someone else, you know going in that if they come off the DL you'll have to remove them from your DL or you won't be able to add/trade.

Same thing here. If a guy is called up you have to remove him from your NA (while he is in the majors) or you won't be able to add/trade. Not sure why you would want it to be easier for people to hold prospects when they are in the show and no longer prospects. If it really creates an issue, you could create an extra 1-3 bench spots for your league.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Return to Commissioner's Corner