Streaming/Hoarding SP's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Streaming/Hoarding SP's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Streaming/Hoarding SP's

Postby Dolorn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for your time.
A friend and I have co-commished a 5x5 (R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP & QS, SV+HLD, Ks, ERA, WHIP) H2H daily lineup league at yahoo for a number of years now. Since we have settled in with a consistent owner base, we have decided transition the league into a keeper league, and in doing so, are trying to refine our rules. We are both against streaming, and over the years have played with the rules to try to curtail it. We didn't care for weekly innings caps, because it was hard to control, year long innings caps weren't liked by the league, so all that has really stuck is transaction caps. That brought on a new strategy we would like to eliminate, which is hoarding of SP's. It started with a couple owners, then others felt compelled to jump on to keep up, and now most of the teams in the league use most or all bench spots for marginal SP's, just to keep up with the counting stats. Since most teams are doing it, the concern for ERA/WHIP damage was minimized. Also, if you weren't hoarding/streaming, and just took a really bad start, or had a RP get blown up, you would have a very hard time correcting the ratios due to the impact being more severe with your fewer innings.
What has been suggested is changing K's to K/9, and upping the minimum weekly IP's, to prevent that from being exploited by stocking up on RP's and few SP's. I was just curious if anyone has ever tried this? Or, if anyone has a better suggestion to discourage streaming and hoarding of SP's.
We would really like to see the teams operate somewhat similar to a normal pitching staff, rather than 12 SP's, a couple RP's, and the only hitters being your starting lineup.

Again, thanks for your time, and any suggestions you may have.
Dolorn
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Streaming/Hoarding SP's

Postby bigmck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:51 am

You don't say what service you use, but I use ESPN. It allows for you to limit the number of SP. It also allows you to limit the number of Pitcher Starts each week. I have found that 12 starts in a week will discourage streaming.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby smaterthantheaverage » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:56 pm

Change the league settings, limit number of pitchers, or change the value of pitching so that it is equal to hitting, they will be less likely to carry extra SP if there is no extra value to do so.
smaterthantheaverage
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fsbarren » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:48 am

I agree with the idea of limiting starts if your league settings allow it.

Another idea is to add a "negative stat" like HRs allowed or Losses (or both). It offsets some of the streaming, though you'll need to add a stat or two on the hitting side. HRs allowed is an interesting stat, as even within the 20 SPs, there is a interesting range. Losses is a bit unfair for pitchers on bad teams, but it will definitely make owners who throw out marginal SPs pay. Maybe HR allowed then, although I know ESPN has a lot of stats to choose from.

Good luck!
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 196)

Postby dreyermj » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:08 pm

The only issue we've ran into in limiting innings/pitchers is the huge stream on sundays where you are allowed to go over.
dreyermj
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)

Postby converge241 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:30 pm

bigmck wrote:You don't say what service you use, but I use ESPN. It allows for you to limit the number of SP. It also allows you to limit the number of Pitcher Starts each week. I have found that 12 starts in a week will discourage streaming.

Did ESPN fix that old issue of double dipping the SP/RP? I forget the exacts but there was something that disqualified us from using a few years ago so we had to police it without. The pitching Start limit sounds like it resolves it anyway but curious about pt I

Anyway, we had a limit on how many you could have and overall pickups limit.

Eventually we just kept the pickup limit got rid of pitcher limit and just tightened up the bench. People still COULD hold piles of SPs but they always hurt themselves in the hitting. We had folks go the other way to the same effect as well.

We also changed the starting lineup spots to a little less SP more RP and made SOLDS a category.

Some type of mix of adjusting benches, roster spots, and pickups may help but nothings perfect just take all the suggestions in and find the best mix for your league. Good luck!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Streaming/Hoarding SP's

Postby mkultra » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Have a shallower bench.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Quackman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:38 pm

Reduce waiver adds. Reduce to a point where u dont care if they stream. I generally stick around 3-5 in my leagues. Personally i dont want it so low where a team wont be able to replace injured players. Certainly there are weeks where 3 guys can get hurt. So i like to give enough waiver adds to deal with injuries but not so much that streaming becomes a problem. 3-5 has worked for me.

someone mentioned shallow bench, this can help also. Makes it so players wont want to drop a decent pitcher for someone off waivers who has a good matchup.

either way some level of streaming can happen. I mean if someone needs 1 or 2 wins its pretty tough to prevent this unless you go to weekly league. That might actually be the option for you if your very against streaming.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby atomic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Check out recent article over at FanGraphs, "The Best Settings For Your Fantasy Baseball League" by Eno Sarris (I can't link because new user.. :-/ )

There is a section which addresses this

The recommendation is to switch to a rate stat (K/9)

"The easiest way to make streaming less attractive, though, is to replace strikeouts with a rate stat. Now all those streamers are bringing down the K/9 category and it’s suddenly a losing strategy. In my experience, category changes are the easiest way to affect change — any other attempt to codify anti-streaming policies have unintended consequences (think the lower level of activity that happens when you put a move limit in place)."
atomic
T-Ball Trainer

Postby RedTiger » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:01 pm

do weekly lineup changes
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)

Next