Overturn Trade of Resigning Owner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Overturn Trade of Resigning Owner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Overturn Trade of Resigning Owner?

Postby fast dogs » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:28 am

we always make owners pay before making any trades, something you might want to consider down the road.
I still think if you say this is a 1 time deal where an owner trades then leaves this is a different animal than what you normally have. Hopefully the owners involved can understand that. best of luck
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Brainstorm » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:54 pm

I spoke with Owner C about it extensively. He seemed to understand but was very unhappy. However, I did ask to see texts and email screenshots and to tell me how he would handle it in my shoes, neither of which he responded to. The 2 owners who initially said keep the trade changed their minds as well, and so I had unanimous support. I overturned the trade this morning.

I took the advice above about paying dues early, and told all teams from here on out I want dues for the next season before any deals are made. That's a really good idea to keep integrity in place.

Thanks for your help in a difficult situation, definitely not a fun spot to be in as a commish but when you sign up these are things you run into sometimes right?
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 252)

Postby bigmck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:45 pm

I think you had a good idea when you ask Owner C what he would reccomend that you do. It seems like every year there is one dispute in my leagues that are otherwise smooth running. It is just the nature of the game.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby TheDanBeyer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:22 am

I agree with you handling of the situation. If the player isn't going to be playing next season, then he shouldn't be able to make changes to the team.
TheDanBeyer
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby LA Blue » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:43 am

If team C has no problem reversing it then I would do that. If he gets upset and you really think he had no clue that team A was quitting then I let it stand.
Playing fantasy baseball/football since 1988.
LA Blue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 358)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Hahahaha

Buster Posey ($20) and Yu Darvish ($19) for Josh Hamilton ($25), Desmond Jennings ($19), Salvador Perez ($19) and Justin Masterson ($3)

Stop being so reasonable that was a vindictive dump on the league move it has to be veto'd.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1439)

Postby dfa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:37 am

This sounds like an awful situation. I would agree in overturning the deal. I would consider giving owner C compensation in the form of an exchange of draft picks (say a 25th rounder for a 20th rounder or equivalent in auction league) because he is getting screwed through no fault of his/her own.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby converge241 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:09 am

Like was said before, paying prior to any offseason activity always helps. Some folks may get offended by that but you really need it.

Aside from that reversing is the way to go here, making a trade then leaving? Seems obvious whats going on. A big FU on the way out and some help to an owner they like.

If an owner paid and traded with another owner that paid way before leaving I would let it stand and only refund $ if I got another team buyer at full price. Dont want to penalize the owner who made the trade. But the proximity kills it here.

Hope it goes/is going well.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Brainstorm » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:17 am

converge241 wrote:Like was said before, paying prior to any offseason activity always helps. Some folks may get offended by that but you really need it.

Aside from that reversing is the way to go here, making a trade then leaving? Seems obvious whats going on. A big FU on the way out and some help to an owner they like.

If an owner paid and traded with another owner that paid way before leaving I would let it stand and only refund $ if I got another team buyer at full price. Dont want to penalize the owner who made the trade. But the proximity kills it here.

Hope it goes/is going well.

I ended up overturning the deal. The owner who had benefited from the trade threatened to leave if I did this, but I went ahead and did it because I discussed it with every owner in the league and ultimately they all agreed on overturning. The owner who had benefited ended up not leaving the league, and since then the issue has blown over.

I informed the league members of two things from here on out: 1) If this scenario happens again the trade gets reversed no questions asked, and 2) I will be collecting league fees for the next season right away, so teams have teeth in the game before they make any moves. Reading this from your first post really swayed me towards doing that, thanks for the suggestion.

Crisis averted here it seems, thanks for the advice everyone!
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 252)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner