Overturn Trade of Resigning Owner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Overturn Trade of Resigning Owner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Overturn Trade of Resigning Owner?

Postby Brainstorm » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:02 pm

I run a 12-team keeper league, going on 11 years now. A few owners have been there since the beginning. So Owner A has gotten into it a few times with Owner B over the years and has generally complained whenever he speaks. However, since being around since day 1, I've let Owner A stick around. There's been some talk among other league owners that he should be removed because of his negativity.

So Sunday night, we're discussing the draft times for this year, and a few owners ask me to make it 3pm the day of because of work concerns. Owner A gets upset and says "we always do it at noon, and I don't want to hang around all day, I have things later". Owner B and Owner A get into an argument on the group page because Owner B rips him up a bit about it and Owner A does not respond well.

An hour later, I get a text from Owner C saying he has made a trade with Owner A, where Owner A is trading Buster Posey ($20) and Yu Darvish ($19) for Josh Hamilton ($25), Desmond Jennings ($19), Salvador Perez ($19) and Justin Masterson ($3). Owner A has said for a long time now Darvish is "untouchable". I confirm the trade with Owner A but I have some suspicions and I ask Owner A if something is going on. He says no, just post the trade. Owner C says hes been trying to get these players for a few seasons now when I ask him if anything is up. So I allow the trade. I've had a policy to never veto a trade unless collusion is involved, and I only had that incident once in 11 years.

Owner A sent me a message resigning from the league today.

This leaves me in a bit of a pickle. Do I allow this trade to stand? I don't have any proof that these two colluded together. But at the same time, is it possible Owner A knew what he was doing before he did this trade and did a favor to this owner on the way out? Is it unfair to punish owner C if he didn't act with malice? Another issue is that owner C has made another trade since, so I would have to void both trades since he might've not made that trade if the first didn't happen. I've talked to a few league owners and I got a mixed reaction, so I'm hoping to get some good advice here. Thanks!
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Overturn Trade of Resigning Owner?

Postby rjforlife » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:17 pm

I've been commish of a keeper league of friends for 15 years so I fully understand where you are coming from. We have booted 4-5 guys and another 3-4 have dropped out over the years so the 4-5 that have been there the whole way get a little more leash, which I assume is why you let the trade through.

Honestly, I think you just have to let this go. I would make a post or email to the league saying: Owner A has left the league and we are moving on. The trade he made wasn't the world's greatest but it wasn't blatant cheating and we all just need to forget about Owner A, the trade, and focus on a stronger league going forward. (Or something to that effect)

It's not an ideal situation, but I think it's easier to just put it behind you and continue with the season. I had some crappy trades between brothers go through my league last year (One brother made 5 trades all season, 4 of them to one of his brothers and the other to his other brother. All 5 trades were in the other guy's favor). We just let it go. We commented, talked collusion and possible banning, but in the end, we are adults and sometimes just have to let people be less than perfect and hold our heads high and move forward. It is, after all, only a game (Even if some money is involved).
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:50 am

Well since the guy is leaving, kill the trade: don't potentially screw over a new owner with controversy.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1937)

Postby fast dogs » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:10 am

do you have many trades overturned? none? is this a $ league where the fee has or hasn't been paid? With an owner making a trade then immediately leaving would seem to me to indicate overturning both trades to original rosters
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby kslates » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks for helping me.

I would definitely reverse this trade. It's not awful but obviously Owner A had no intent of playing the season with that roster so it should be reversed.
kslates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby whoson1st0 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Have you talked to Team C about possibly reversing the deal? I have a feeling team C is thinking he got the steal of the century with this deal and for the betterment of the league may agree that given the dropout of Team A, the trade should be reversed.

Otherwise, what is the overall feeling of the league? How long after the trade went through did team A drop out? It sure seems to me this was done on purpose by team A (assuming we may not have all the facts). It's not really fair to the rest of the league (or the person taking over Team A's team) if the trade stands and would likely try to reverse it.

It sucks that situations like this necessitate additional rules in the league constitution, such as if there is a trade made in the offseason and one of those teams drops out before the draft, the trade must be reversed.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby Brainstorm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:38 pm

For some additional information:

-Yes its a money league
-I haven't overturned a trade since 2006, when one team tried to dump 2 of his best players to another team competing for 2 scrubs AND was giving up high picks the next year and getting lower picks in return (team was apparently leaving at the end of the year, and when I squashed this deal, he insta-quit and dropped all his players. classy guy!)
-Team A resigned 48 hours after the trade was completed
-I haven't been able to discuss it with Team C yet. However, I feel like Team C is not going to be open to reversing the deal willingly. I've considered asking him for a screenshot of the emails or texts that completed this trade to make sure everything is on the up and up.
-Overall feeling of the league: I talked to every single owner in the league yesterday. 6 said reverse the deal, 2 said let it stand, 1 was undecided. I didn't vote and neither did Team C or the guy taking over for the resigning owner.

And I've gone back and forth on this issue alot. To me it seems like the easiest thing to do is let it go, but the right to do may be reversing it.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team

Postby bigmck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:31 pm

I think you need to reverse it. I would talk to Owner C privately first and tell him you want to reverse the trade so he is not surprised when it happens. You have to look out for the new owner that will be taking over the team.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby fsbarren » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:10 pm

As a rule, I'm not a huge fan of letting the entire league vote on an issue like this, but that's might be the answer. That way, the people most involved get their chance to decide and once it's over it's done. That potentially opens the door to more calls for votes down the line though.

I think the guys who have already posted have made some very good points. For me, a trade on Sunday and a resignation by Tuesday is just too close together, even if it's a clean trade. I'm sure Owner C is going to be upset, but I think you have a very fair and even compelling reason to reverse the trade.

If you have a new owner for Team A ready to jump in, maybe let him decide. If not, I'd nix the trade with a simple but direct explanation and move on. Most of the league will support you it seems.

Good luck!
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)

Postby Brainstorm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to talk to Team C today and see how that goes and take it from there. Let you know how it turns out!
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner